Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tallgirl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2008, 07:10 PM
    Tax payers number
    I have been living in Queens,NY for six years.
    I had one year turist visa, after that I decided to stay in NY.
    I work full time and I would like to ask can I get any Tax payers number and start to pay tax ?
    Thank you
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Oct 28, 2008, 08:40 PM

You've made a terrible mistake. Having a 1 year visitor's visa does not mean you can stay in US for 1 year. The term you're allowed to stay is written in I-94 (little note attached to your passport at the interview at the airport). Maximum term is 6 months, and if you would like to stay longer, you may file for extension but total term allowed to stay in US must not exceed 12 months. Now you have overstayed your visa for almost 6 years.

Holders of visitor's visas are not allowed to work... If someone gave you advice about paying taxes, think twice as it might put you in deeper trouble.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

H4 Tax id number [ 3 Answers ]

I am on H1B visa, my wife is here on H4, how should I apply for tax identification number For her and what are the documents required for the procedure. Thanks

The Number 23 [ 2 Answers ]

In the movie The Number 23 when Fingerling meets Fabrizia, what is the song title that's playing? I can't find it online and it's rather catchy so if anyone knows it please let me know! Thank you so much!

If I register for a business number in Canada and provide my social Insurance number. [ 1 Answers ]

If I register for a business number in Canada and provide my social Insurance number.. ... will my SIN always be "connected" with my business? In other words, as far as Canada REvenue is concerned are they 2 different entities? I want to apply for Bus # for a sole propriatorship

IRS number [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone happen to know a number I can call to report someone to the IRS in New York State? (Broome County)

ID with TIN number [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone get a driver's license or picture ID with a TIN number. Thank you

View more questions Search