Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ndavis Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2008, 06:26 PM
    Renters in Short Sale of Property
    We are realtors in Tampa Area and have a few homes listed for Short Sale that are tenant occupied. And we need to know what the Law actually states about the tenants rights and the validity of the lease. We were able to find information if the home is foreclosed on, but nothing addressing the short sale. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Nick
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 28, 2008, 06:53 PM

A short sale is still a sale and the lease will be valid to the new buyers.

In a Short Sale the bank merely agrees to accept less than full amount for the sale of the property and the only gets basically nothing, but the house is still sold. Only normally in a foreclosure or a tax sale will the lease be ended.
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Oct 29, 2008, 10:13 AM

I agree w/Fr_Chuck. If the house sells prior to actually going through the foreclosure the law is that the new owner must honor the lease. And at the end of the lease they'll still need to give the tenants the amount of notice required by the lease.

Or sometimes they may be able to buy the tenants out of the lease to get them to leave early.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tenant -- short sale of property [ 7 Answers ]

We have been tenants for a year and half and found out that the property is in foreclosure and the landlord has negotiated with the bank for a short sale. We have a 2 year lease. Does our lease stand with the new buyers? Or do we have to vacate? If so, is the California law a 30 or a 60 day...

Journal entry for purchase and sale of property for sale [ 5 Answers ]

I purchase an apartment for $ 1.7m and paid first instalmment of 250k ,Before the second installment I sell the apartment at the value of 1.9m .Please tell me how to record the journal entry .

Short-Sale of a property [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, My husband and I sold our home on a Short-Sale. We later found out that my husband signed a promissarry note that he was not aware of at the time which, held us liable for the entire balance of our second Mortgage. We later negotiated with the Lender's and was sent a Settlement Approval...

Renters Rights when the home is up for sale. [ 6 Answers ]

I moved into a house about a year ago. Earlier this year, the landlord put the house back on the market. At the time, we had agreed to a 24-hour notice before anyone came by to see or show the house. We have had about 20 people come to the house so far... and about two 24-hour notices. First...

View more questions Search