Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dragonfire24 Posts: 105, Reputation: 3

Oct 28, 2008, 02:30 PM
    Sounds from PC while it is off?
    Every once in awhile I have this happen, and it was just recently happening again this morning. The exact details are that I built this PC myself about a year ago and today is probably the 3rd time I had heard these noises. Basically they sound like a HDD being accessed while the PC is off. I tried to Google it and I basically came up with nothing so I figured I would post here and see if anyone has any knowledge of something like this happening.
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Oct 28, 2008, 08:26 PM

Do the lights flash at all when you hear noises?

And you did go through the 'proper' shutdown on computer?

Are there any external devices hooked up to the computer?

On a UPS or anything? Maybe a surge protector

Any power surges in home recently?

Oct 29, 2008, 04:34 AM
    The HDD access light does not flash at all when I hear this noise. And I always go through proper shutdown.

I mentioned that I built this PC myself, so it's kind of my baby :D , and I always try to take the best care of it that I can.

The reason I THINK it could be the HDD is the sound it makes sounds very simliar to the sound an HDD makes when it is being lightly accessed. It does not make the sound while the PC is turned on, and it was making the sound all day yesterday and this morning while the PC was off. It's not a very loud sound either. I opened the case this morning with the PC still plugged in and it was still making the sound, although I could not tell where it was coming from. I then unplugged it and did a quick check for dust and loose connections and such and also checked the POST code on my MB, which read No problems. When I plugged in back and let it sit for a couple minutes before turning it back on there was no noise.

As far as everything else goes I have a printer and a wired connection run through a linksys router. And my PC is hooked up to a pretty solid surge protector and as far as I know there has not been any power surges in my house lately. The area I live in has pretty stable power coming in and we don't experience many surges or outages.
    Ultra Member

Oct 29, 2008, 09:08 AM

Got me on this one. If sounds would be being made, something would have to draw power from somewhere for something?

Oct 31, 2008, 04:14 AM

Yeah, I am kind of stumped on this one myself... Which is why I asked here. I spent at least 30 minutes searching Google and found nothing. Anything I found about PC's making sounds whileturned off came up as a PSU going bad being the culprit.
    Ultra Member

Oct 31, 2008, 08:27 AM

That could narrow it down as that is actually connected to power, maybe something in that
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Nov 6, 2008, 05:37 PM
    I'll also throw out it may be a nontechnical issue, such as an insect or mouse inside the case. I've found all kinds of crap inside machines people bring in for repair. Start turning off the surge protector whenever the machine is shutdown and see if the noise happens when the machine is completely unpowered.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 6, 2008, 08:36 PM

It might be trying to do a wake on LAN or any number of things that might cause the CPU to wake up.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Might sounds old. [ 6 Answers ]

I know there are always a lot of these questions flying around but I have another one. My last real period was Oct 5th. It is now November 18th. I had a slight period on the 11th but it was brown discharge and got light red and brown for a small total of 2 days. I was using the withdrawl...

Car Sounds? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 95 nissan altima gxe, lately I have had this boiling water sound coming from my car, and I don't know what it is exactly and how to fix it. Dose anyone know? What could it be and how would I fix it?

No Sounds [ 1 Answers ]

No Sounds After Getting Desktop OEM “Help”! Hello, hoping someone could help me on this major sound ssue. Running Windows XP on an old Compaq Presario 5000a. Using Soundblaster Audigy MP3+ for about a year and recently updated drivers. Sound was working before I called Compaq/HP on a memory...

Log on off Sounds [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I would like to change the log on sound byte for users on my PC . Also is there a way to add a log off sound byte as well? Win 2000 pro Thanks

No Sounds [ 3 Answers ]

No Sounds After Getting Desktop OEM “Help”! Hello, hoping someone could help me on this major sound ssue. Running Windows XP on an old Compaq Presario 5000a. Using Soundblaster Audigy MP3+ for about a year and recently updated drivers. Sound was working before I called Compaq/HP on a memory...

View more questions Search