Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brammh Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2008, 01:08 PM
    Drive not reading disks
    So the other day I was cleaning up my boyfriends computer of worthless junk. Like the game demos that come free with new windows vista computers, and Yahoo messenger, and that is all I deleted, nothing I didn't know what it was. Well, now the disk drive isn't working right. It won't read disks and it doesn't show up in my computer. I tried going to control panel, system, device manager, the drive is there but it has a yellow ! By it. I checked for updates and fixed the software. Restarted and nothing was fixed so I checked the properties and it said that it could be corrupted and to check for solutions, so I clicked that and nothing happened. Is there any way to fix this? It doesn't have anything to do with me deleting the games does it, because I don't really know how it would have anything to do with it but my boyfriend seems to think it would...

Help please!
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Oct 28, 2008, 08:29 PM

In device mgr. where you see yellow mark, right click on it and choose uninstall and say OK - now close all open windows and restart the computer

On restart the PC will install drivers for the drive

See if accessible now

Oct 28, 2008, 08:55 PM
    I tried that too... after I uninstalled and restarted it I opened up the manager again and the drive was back but the yellow! Was still there... any other ideas?
    aaj2008 Posts: 139, Reputation: 7

Oct 28, 2008, 08:56 PM

Re-download the drivers for it off a website
    Ultra Member

Oct 28, 2008, 09:52 PM

Just do a system restore back to when it was working

Start, programs, accessories, system tools, system restore and choose a date when this was not an issue, this should get back in order

Choose the option in the picture and choose next, then pick a known working date

Oct 29, 2008, 02:05 PM
    Okay I tried that, the only points I could go back to were today and yesterday, and it was before that. So now what do I do?
    Ultra Member

Oct 29, 2008, 02:12 PM

Try right clicking on the device with yellow mark and choose Update driver, if that does not work, see if you can rollback driver

What model computer, maybe can download driver from mfg web site

Oct 29, 2008, 02:33 PM

Its an Acer, he got it about 3 months ago, it has windows vista.

There isn't any option to rollback driver

Oct 29, 2008, 02:40 PM
    This is what it says:

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available.
    Ultra Member

Oct 29, 2008, 02:53 PM

This works most of the time for error 39

Upperfilters/LowerFilters
    Follow method 2 on this link, if this does not resolve problem, the changes you may have made will not effect your computer operation in any way -
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

CD rom not reading data disks [ 2 Answers ]

My CD-ROM drive will not read Programed CD's. It gives me a format disk error and that the disk is not formatted. Do I just need to get a new CD drive, or is there a fix? It does read Audio CD's though.

Cd ROM not reading disks -_- [ 11 Answers ]

I've been playing Diablo 2 LOD for awhile now and just the other day, when trying to open the shortcut it said: "Diablo II was unable to locate your CD-ROM drive. Please make sure your Diablo II expansion disk is in your CD-ROM drive, then click retry":( This has come up before but mainly...

Zip Drive Disks [ 4 Answers ]

How do I unwrite protect a write protected 100 megabite zip drive disk? These disk inadvertently write protected themselves and they are not full.

View more questions Search