Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sugarnojutsu Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2008, 11:50 AM
    Forensic Science
    How is animal blood different from human blood?
    mcrunner Posts: 36, Reputation: 5

Oct 28, 2008, 12:22 PM

Both human blood and animal blood have hemoglobin in it. The hemoglobin binds to oxygen and transports it to myoglobin which is in the muscles. The partial pressure of oxygen for working muscles is less than that for resting muscles, and at this condition of lower pressure, the oxygen's affinity for the hemoglobin lessens. (affinity - the force by which atoms are held together in chemical compounds). The affinity of oxygen to myoglobin at this pressure however is still relatively high, so the oxygen is transferred from the hemoglobin to the myoglobin.

The thing that is different is that humans blood has 2,3-bisphosphoglycerate in it and animal blood such as pig and cow blood does not. The 2,3-bisphosphoglycerate binds to the deoxyhemoglobin and not the oxygenated form. This lowers hemoglobins affinity for oxygen, making the release of the oxygen to the myoglobin easier. It is used to control the transfer of oxygen from hemoglobin to myoglobin more efficiently because then it is not only affected by the partial pressure of the oxygen, but also by the concentration of the 2,3-bisphosphoglycerate.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Where's the best university for Forensic Science? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there, I've been having a hard time trying to find a university that has a forensic science course. I'm not even sure if that's what I need for my career. I would like to work in a morgue, on crime scenes, or in labs. My big interest is the human body and would love to be involved in the...

Forensic science [ 4 Answers ]

I am a writer of crime fiction: at the beginning of my story, a young woman is raped and held down by another. Her partner comes home and is attacked (knocked unconscious). One of the attackers then slit's her throat. Her partner is charged with her rape and murder. He escapes at his first court...

Forensic science (cause of death) [ 5 Answers ]

If a few bones, blood and a jaw complete with teeth was found what would your conclusion be?

Forensic Science [ 2 Answers ]

"Forensic scientists can measure the muzzle velocity of a gun by firing a bullet horizontally into a large hanging block that absorbs the bllet and swings upward. The measured maximum angle of swing can be used to calculate the speed of the bullet. In one such test, a rifle fired a 4.20g (.0042kg)...

Forensic science [ 2 Answers ]

Can you start a fire with table salt and water

View more questions Search