Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    violet0019 Posts: 208, Reputation: 9

Oct 28, 2008, 10:32 AM
    What can I use to make a roof to keep the snow out of my semi enclosed balcony, etc.
    I live in Quebec Canada. I would appreciate any advice, suggestions etc. with regards to what to do. I live in an upper duplex and my balcony is approx. 4 feet by 12 feet. There are recycled large windows around the entire balcony installed on the inside of the metal railing that surrounds the balcony. (approx. 5 feet high, and put there to keep a mischievous cat from jumping off, which unfortunately happened:( a long time ago... cat is OK, had big surgery, but is still mischievous!). Last year was very difficult as I had to shovel the accumulated snow, sometimes 4 feet high and throw it over the top of the enclosure... and as I am ill I can not do this anymore. I would appreciate any advice on how and what to do with regards to some type of roof-awning to keep the snow off the balcony, and that would not make my kitchen dark and that would not make my home hot in the summer.
    I would like to keep the :eek:costs as low as possible. THanks!:)
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 28, 2008, 07:11 PM

Not joking but get rid of the window and keep the cat inside until Spring. I'd consider putting the cat with the windows but sounds like you are attached, so just get rid of the window. No awning can hold 4' of snow and not block out the light.
    violet0019 Posts: 208, Reputation: 9

Oct 29, 2008, 08:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Not joking but get rid of the window and keep the cat inside til Spring. I'd consider putting the cat with the windows but sounds like you are attached, so just get rid of the window. No awning can hold 4' of snow and not block out the light.
    Seriously now, and not joking,;) my 2 cats and little dog, plus the custom built enclosed balcony (which I am very grateful for, plus I paid several hundred dollars to put together), are NOT being disassembled,:eek: nor are the critters going anywhere! And although it snows, and it is winter here in Canada, many people DO have awnings, canopies, etc. which are available to allow light in (depending on what one chooses). But, thank you for your reply and opinion anyway.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 29, 2008, 07:04 PM

I must be picturing this wrong, an awning with 4' of snow can't possible let light through.
    wallter_david Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2011, 11:24 AM
    Go to reno-depot or home depot or canadien tire and get blue or white tarp that covers rv trailers... find the size and cover around... ps make a frame first with 2 by 4"

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do you make Artificial Snow permanent [ 5 Answers ]

I saw some Christmas wreathes at Michaels this year and they looked very beautiful with some artificial snow either dip or paint on it. The snow felt fluffy. There is also an artificial Christmas tree with permanent snow on its branches. I looked everywhere to see if there is a permanent snow...

How to Make an Enclosed Balcony Warmer in Winter, using Plastic Sheets? [ 8 Answers ]

We live in Quebec, Canada. The winters here are cold. My Parents have a wood balcony and enclosed it by using recycled large windows. There is an aluminum door and metal stairs attached and leading onto the back lawn. They want to find a way to make it warmer, as there is an outdoor cat who...

How much snow can a roof take? [ 13 Answers ]

After a recent snow storm, we have accumulated almost 3 ft of :confused: snow on our house and garage. We are suppose to receive another foot before the week is over. Does anyone know how much a house roof can take? Is it time to start shoveling? Our home was built in 1982 and is a very sound...

Small roof to protect heat pump from snow off metal roof [ 5 Answers ]

We are getting a metal roof put on our old house. This means that the snow will slide off and land onto our air source heat pump. We need to construct a small roof to protect it. We were thinking of extending the 2 x 6 roof rafters another 4 feet and then having 2 x6 or 4 x 4's going back to the...

Snow blower not picking up snow [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Noma 5.0 HP snow blower that is not working correctly. The shears are not turning and picking up the snow. I've checked the shear pins, but they seem to be in good condition. What else should I check? Thanks

View more questions Search