Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mommyoftwins200 Posts: 62, Reputation: 2

Oct 28, 2008, 07:57 AM
    Is it worth going to school?
    I was very interested in going to school to receive my Associates Degree in Early Childhood Education, but is it worth it? The mony does not seem all that great.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Oct 28, 2008, 08:29 AM

The money is not great in teaching preschool but it's a place to start, and you might decide to go on to a Bachelor's Degree. In many areas you can get a teaching credential for 3 years old through third grade which would give you even greater flexibility for employment and higher pay.
    sunshinenkisses Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 11, 2008, 05:32 PM
    The money is not that great, you are right. This is a job you do because you love it. Not for the money. You have to have a heart for children. The classes to get your CDA alone are worth it, if for nothing else, to use the information in raising your own children. I wish I had done this while my kids were still young. You learn so much that is beneficial not only to teaching, but to child rearing as well.
    mc4 Posts: 4, Reputation: 3

Jan 30, 2009, 08:01 PM

The money isn't great.. check into college or government childcare centers , they usually pay a little better. Many times some of the "perks" like bringing your child to the center for free factor into benefits instead of salary. Good luck!
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 30, 2009, 08:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mommyoftwins200 View Post
    I was very interested in going to school to receive my Associates Degree in Early Childhood Education, but is it worth it? The mony does not seem all that great.
    Like the others have said, it has its uses in a variety of ways. Public libraries like credentials like that for their children's department. Colleges and universities have child care centers for students' kids and for their early childhood programs (maybe a tuition benefit while working at one).

As someone told me when I was debating about grad school, "In two years you will be two years older whether or not you get a degree. Do you want to be two years older with a degree or without one?"
    knwilson Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 13, 2009, 04:07 PM

If your going to go into a degree don't do it for the money. Do it for the love of what you will be doing.
    moshimaggie Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2009, 12:47 PM
    Stay home with your if it don't pay good its no good
    mizz_izy Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2009, 02:11 AM
    Your right, pay sucks, but I would suggest if your willing to go to school do not just get your associates, you can't do much just with an associates, get your bachelors. More opportunities and better pay! Not the best paying but decent. Plus, like everyone else has said, you should be doing it for the love of children and not for pay.
    alesha8781 Posts: 22, Reputation: 9

Apr 27, 2010, 09:56 PM

My college just changed the ECE program so I am actually certified to 4th grade when I graduate next week :) It depends on where you go if the pay is good also. I know head start at least has benefits and advancement opportunities. Plus they will pay for your bachelor's if you agree to work for them for a period. This is something you really need to be passionate about because it takes a long time to climb the ladder. But it is rewarding too.

Also, I don't know about Chicago, but in PA you pretty much need an associates to work in a daycare at all unless you are the janitor. Even our cook has an associates in dietary aid
    bleusong52 Posts: 239, Reputation: 46

Jul 4, 2010, 10:21 AM

An option for you is to take the course, become credentialed, and then open your own preschool/daycare. My oldest son was enrolled in one of those. The teacher/provider had the preschool curriculum in the morning and the daycare in the afternoon. It worked out very well for her, the children, and the parents.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What's my old school stuff worth? [ 4 Answers ]

Hey guys, I'm just wondering how much some of my video game junk is worth, all right well there like all old school game stuff, please plug in the price that each of the items that you know is worth about- *how much is my n64 worth with no box but works excellent? -how much are the following...

Night school for high school-aged people [ 15 Answers ]

I heard about there being night school for high school kids. In fact, I think a friend of a friend went to night school when I was in jr. high. I've searched Google, and can't find any listings or info for night schools in PA. Does anyone know if they exist for high schoolers, and where I could...

How much is a 1925 penny worth with one cent and a wheat on the back worth [ 3 Answers ]

How much is a one cent with a wheat on back is worth from 1925

Home school vs. Public school? [ 53 Answers ]

My husband and I have decided to home school our children because we do not feel that the public education systems are very good these days. When we were in public school the teachers spent more time trying to control and disipline the class or individual students then they spent teaching. I also...

Self-worth - what do you do to take care of your self-worth? [ 21 Answers ]

I think we are all so great to take care of others, however how can we learn to take care of ourselves more? What things can one do to take care of their own self-worth, self-respect, etc.

View more questions Search