Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Oneill474 Posts: 427, Reputation: 2

Oct 28, 2008, 07:06 AM
    Southern fried chicken
    How does KFC they do it. My chicken dipped in batter and deep fried comes out fine. Regarding the small pieces of chicken, but the legs and bigger pieces are nice and brown on the outside but raw in the middle. I have to put them into the microwave or oven to finish them off. Whether I use a deep fryer or a frying pan the results are always the same on the larger pieces of chicken.
    ashley0716 Posts: 121, Reputation: 12

Oct 28, 2008, 07:09 AM

Try boiling the chicken prior to battering them , to cook them on the inside a little better!
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Oct 28, 2008, 07:16 AM

I usually use a deep fryer and they end up being all right. I know that KFC used to use a pressure cooker when they first started... not entirely sure what they do now.

Are you leaving your chicken out in room temp before cooking?
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Oct 29, 2008, 12:03 PM

Your oil might be too hot. If it is, the outside of the chicken will cook much faster than the inside.

You can check out these links for some helpful tips and recipes:

Fried Chicken Recipes - Southern Fried Chicken

Southern Fried Chicken Recipe at Epicurious.com
    08_777444 Posts: 111, Reputation: 16

Nov 16, 2008, 06:45 PM
    If you are not achieving the desired doneness by frying alone, baking afterwards is best done if you place the chicken on a baking rack. If you set the chicken directly in the bottom of the baking pan, it tends to make the chicken soggy. Try putting the chicken on the rack at 350 degrees for 20 - 30 minutes.

If you are not comfortable working with very hot oil, just fry the chicken pieces long enough to put a good scald on the outside. Then finish them off in the oven on the baking rack. That way you get the flavor from frying and the comfort of knowing they are done right.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 16, 2008, 06:52 PM

Yes they still use a pressure cooker and fry it in that. You can do the same thing at home with a pressure cooker if you wanted.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Chicken Stock vs. Chicken Broth? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, this is my first time asking of you Gentle Folks. I've recently found the advantage to using canned chicken broth to start my chicken soups and other dishes. However, what's the difference between "chicken stock" and "chicken broth"? It has come up because I have a couple of coupons for...

Spices for fried chicken. [ 26 Answers ]

What types of spices should try. I drizzle hot sauce over my chicken before eating but the crust/chicken always seems to bland. I have tried red pepper flakes in the breading and black pepper... What else should I try? Doesn't have to be hot just flavorful.

Fried chicken [ 7 Answers ]

Anyone have a good fried chicken recipe? I'm looking for something that's full or flavor but also really easy to make (not a whole bunch of ingredients) Thanks! :)

Southern Survivor [ 2 Answers ]

Because of the popularity of the Survivor shows, Several southern TV stations are joining together and are planning to do their Own, entitled: "SURVIVOR-- SOUTHERN STYLE" The contestants will start in Alabama , travel over To Georgia and on to South Carolina . From there they will head...

Help I Think Something Has Been Fried [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Right My PC has been died. Right, a few days ago we tried to boot it up and it would come on, but the Hard drive would not boot. If it did boot then the computer would freeze up. Then one day it just stopped working. So we changed the power supply. Now the computer is getting power, the...

View more questions Search