Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Oct 28, 2008, 06:20 AM
    And the survey says…
    OK all you Obama supporters, tell us why you’re voting for Obama. What proposal of his is going to benefit you, your family, your neighbor, your job, the economy, your country, the world? Specifics please.
    TexasParent Posts: 378, Reputation: 73

Oct 28, 2008, 04:23 PM

My wife has cancer 12 years ago. Insurance companies will no longer cover her because she is not profitable. There are some high risk pools that will insure her, but at $1700 per month which we can't afford.

Barrak Obama is proposing to eliminate the pre-existing condition insurance companies use to deny coverage and he may (I don't trust either of the parties completely when they get to into power, but we'll see) help make it affordable for us to get coverage. John McCain's proposal for health care does not address pre-existing conditions.

That is primarily why we are voting for Obama; without getting into all the BS talking points of both parties.
    BABRAM Posts: 561, Reputation: 145

Oct 28, 2008, 06:05 PM
    This in part, is why I already early voted for Barack Obama.

1. Without my wife's full time income, personally my family benefits categorically from Barack Obama's tax policy breakdown. The link below also provides a graph.

How McCain and Obama will change your tax bill - Jun. 11, 2008

"NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- John McCain and Barack Obama have starkly different philosophies about tax policy - how to raise the revenue needed to support government programs, spur growth and ensure economic fairness.

But voters really want to know one thing: How would the presidential candidates' views trickle down to their tax bills? A report released Wednesday by a nonpartisan policy group in Washington, D.C., takes a big first step toward answering that question.

According to the Tax Policy Center's findings, the common assumptions most people make about the plans of McCain, the presumptive Republican nominee, and Obama, the Democrats' pick, are not wildly off-base.

McCain: The average taxpayer in every income group would see a lower tax bill, but high-income taxpayers would benefit more than everyone else.

Obama: High-income taxpayers would pay more in taxes, while everyone else's tax bill would be reduced. Those who benefit the most - in terms of reducing their taxes as a percentage of after-tax income - are in the lowest income groups.

Under both plans, all American taxpayers could pay a price for their tax cuts: a bigger deficit. The Tax Policy Center estimates that over 10 years, McCain's tax proposals could increase the national debt by as much as $4.5 trillion with interest, while Obama's could add as much as $3.3 trillion.

The reason: neither plan would raise the amount of revenue expected under current tax policy - which assumes all the 2001 and 2003 tax cuts expire by 2011. And neither plan would raise enough to cover expected government costs during those 10 years.

"Distributionally, they're markedly different. But in terms of their impact on revenue, the two plans are not terribly different," said Roberton Williams, principal research associate at the Tax Policy Center and the former deputy assistant director for tax analysis at the Congressional Budget Office.

A closer look

In addition to making the 2001 and 2003 tax cuts permanent, McCain says he would double the exemption for dependents, lower the corporate tax rate, make expensing rules more generous for small businesses and lessen the bite of the estate tax and Alternative Minimum tax.

The net result: compared with their tax bill today, taxpayers on average would see their tax bill cut by nearly $1,200. That means their after-tax income would rise by 2%.

But those in the lowest income groups would only see their after-tax income rise by less than 1% (or between $19 and $319). By contrast, the highest-income households - those with incomes of at least $603,000 - would see a boost in after-tax income of 3.4%, or more than $40,000.

Obama's plan would keep the 2001 and 2003 tax cuts in place for everyone except those making more than roughly $250,000, and he would increase the capital gains tax.

Obama would also introduce new tax breaks for lower and middle-income groups. Such breaks include expanding the earned income tax credit, giving those making less than $150,000 a $500 tax credit per person on the first $8,100 in income, giving those making under $75,000 a 50% federal match on the first $1,000 of savings, and exempting seniors making less than $50,000 from having to pay income tax.

Like McCain, Obama would lessen the bite of the estate tax and the Alternative Minimum Tax, but to a lesser degree.

The net result: compared with their tax bill today, taxpayers on average would see their tax bill cut by nearly $160 under Obama's plan. That means their after-tax income would rise by 0.3%.

But those in the lowest-income groups would enjoy the biggest after-tax income rise as a percentage of income - between 2.4% and 5.5% (worth between $567 and $1,042). By contrast, the highest-income households - those with at least $603,000 in income - would see a dramatic decline in their after-tax income - a drop of 8.7%, or $116,000.

The campaigns respond

Jason Furman, a newly appointed senior economic adviser to Obama, said his preliminary response is that the report's findings bear out what Obama's campaign has been saying: that he's for the middle class.

"Middle-class families get tax cuts that are three times larger from Obama than from McCain," Furman said. "And the McCain plan gives nearly one-quarter of its benefits to households making more than $2.8 million annually - the top 0.1%."

Douglas Holtz-Eakin, senior economic adviser to McCain, noted that the report does not take into account the spending reforms - such as eliminating earmarks - that are central to McCain's strategy to support tax relief and help reduce the deficit.

One of the center's co-directors, William Gale, conceded in a conference call that "if McCain succeeds (in achieving his proposed spending cuts), the fiscal cost of his plan does go down."

But spending cuts can be politically difficult to achieve, said Len Burman, the Tax Policy Center's director.

Holtz-Eakin characterized McCain's plan as one geared toward "reshaping federal bureaucracies and protecting taxpayers' money. [His] plan is based on kicking down doors in Washington, and delivering tax dollars back to the American taxpayers who are struggling with record gas prices, soaring food costs and a down economy."

Not the final word

Williams said the Tax Policy Center analysis should be viewed as a work in progress. Researchers plan to update it as they get more information about the plans from the campaigns and if the candidates introduce new tax policies between now and Election Day.

The center will also incorporate the tax elements of McCain's and Obama's health care proposals when they update their findings.

How the candidates' tax plans would affect economic growth is an open question. "It depends on how the deficits are closed," Burman said.

Tax studies have shown that when tax cuts are deficit funded and they're paid for by raising taxes in the future, "the economy is worse off than if you didn't cut at all," Burman said.
    "

2. The Iraq War and foreign relations. I would had never sent a full scale troop movement into Iraq and neither would had Barack Obama. I'm tired of visiting my second home in SE Asia and seeing scowls on the faces once the natives have figure out that I'm an American. Obama has greater respect and more of a positive perception internationally than other candidiates.

3. Barack Obama demonstrated through a hard fought long primary with Hillary Clinton, and consistently throughout all the debates with McCain, to have the superb temperament of presidential candidate. Of course, which confers the fact that he is highly educated and sets a fine example for the upcoming younger generation. Speaking of education I also like the fact that Obama will reform No Child Left Behind. Barack Obama and Joe Biden: The Change We Need | Education

4. Insurance. Barack Obama and Joe Biden: The Change We Need | Health Care

"Make Health Insurance Work for People and Businesses - Not Just Insurance and Drug Companies.

*Require insurance companies to cover pre-existing conditions so all Americans regardless of their health status or history can get comprehensive benefits at fair and stable premiums.

*Create a new Small Business Health Tax Credit to help small businesses provide affordable health insurance to their employees.

*Lower costs for businesses by covering a portion of the catastrophic health costs they pay in return for lower premiums for employees.

*Prevent insurers from overcharging doctors for their malpractice insurance and invest in proven strategies to reduce preventable medical errors.

*Make employer contributions more fair by requiring large employers that do not offer coverage or make a meaningful contribution to the cost of quality health coverage for their employees to contribute a percentage of payroll toward the costs of their employees health care.

*Establish a National Health Insurance Exchange with a range of private insurance options as well as a new public plan based on benefits available to members of Congress that will allow individuals and small businesses to buy affordable health coverage.

*Ensure everyone who needs it will receive a tax credit for their premiums.

Reduce Costs and Save a Typical American Family up to $2,500 as reforms phase in:

*Lower drug costs by allowing the importation of safe medicines from other developed countries, increasing the use of generic drugs in public programs and taking on drug companies that block cheaper generic medicines from the market

*Require hospitals to collect and report health care cost and quality data

*Reduce the costs of catastrophic illnesses for employers and their employees.

*Reform the insurance market to increase competition by taking on anticompetitive activity that drives up prices without improving quality of care.

*The Obama-Biden plan will promote public health. It will require coverage of preventive services, including cancer screenings, and increase state and local preparedness for terrorist attacks and natural disasters.

A Commitment to Fiscal Responsibility: Barack Obama will pay for his $50 - $65 billion health care reform effort by rolling back the Bush tax cuts for Americans earning more than $250,000 per year and retaining the estate tax at its 2009 level.
    "

5. Pro-Choice. I prefer the window of decision available to raped victims or when the mother's loss of life is at high risk.

6. Barack Obama is extremely family orientated and faithful to his wife. I accept that he will treat the nation under his leadership the same.

7. Barack Obama's energy plan will help create millions of new jobs.

Barack Obama's Energy Plan Will Create MILLIONS Of American Jobs « Let Us Talk

Barack Obama and Joe Biden: The Change We Need | New Energy for America

Obama specifically wants to address the aging infrastructure in our country that has been too long neglected making way for more new jobs.

Barack Obama and Joe Biden: The Change We Need | Economy
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 28, 2008, 06:18 PM
    Hello Steve:

Well, I'm not a tax and spend guy... But Obama is going to end the war in Iraq, restore the Constitution, close Guantanamo Bay, defeat Al Quaida, end the Wall Street rip off, appoint good Supreme Court judges, maintain our friendship with Israel, end the belligerence we have with the world, and restore our good name.

Is that enough? I have more if you want.

excon
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Oct 28, 2008, 06:44 PM

I'm voting for him because I see him as the lesser of two evils. I don't fully agree with a lot of his policies but I feel like they're a step up from mccain's. And his vp choice isn't as bad. I don't like bidden. But I'd pick him over the hockey mom anyday... and with mccain's health being so questionable, I feel like vp is a very important issue with him.
    I also feel like obama's lack of experience is a plus. He's not stuck in his ways yet. Going into things without past personal experience can sometimes work out for the better because you go in more willing to learn and try new things. Really, where has all of these experienced presidents of the past gotten us lately? Oh yeah, a war in the middle east, high gas prices, and a shaky economy that's leaving a bunch of people homeless. So much for experience...
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Oct 29, 2008, 09:48 AM

I believe in Same Sex Unions having rights ( I have a lot of gay and lesbian friends and family).

I am Pro Choice.

I believe in equal pay for everyone (you know I have a mom a sister an aunt a fiancée and they work harder then anyone I know they deserve to get paid the same as everyone).

I think there are to many people without health insurance in this country.

I don't believe there should be tax breaks for sending an Americans job to India. Even if they are from Palins imaginary "Fake America". (I have family members who lost their jobs because of this.)

I like the idea of using wind and solar energy.
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Oct 29, 2008, 10:59 AM

He looks like pure evil and from listening to his speeches it only backs up his looks.

Oct 29, 2008, 12:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ZoeMarie View Post
    He looks like pure evil and from listening to his speeches it only backs up his looks.
    Ultra Member

Oct 29, 2008, 12:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by babram View Post
    Lmao!

Oct 29, 2008, 12:30 PM
    lmao!
    John McCain supporter under the hood?? :D
    Ultra Member

Oct 29, 2008, 12:32 PM

Perhaps...

Oct 29, 2008, 12:37 PM

Very likely!
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Oct 29, 2008, 12:39 PM

Why do people who don't fall under the cult of personality of Obama or simply don't agree with his political agenda get labeled as racists?

Oct 29, 2008, 12:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Emland View Post
    Why do people who don't fall under the cult of personality of Obama or simply don't agree with his political agenda get labeled as racists?
    Because it's factually true, Emland. Although ZoeMarie was being tongue-in-cheek in the following statement it is exactly how racist view Barack Obama. Notice the words' "he looks."

Ultra Member

Oct 29, 2008, 12:47 PM

For clarification, I was talking about McCain (that looks like pure evil)
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Oct 29, 2008, 12:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by BABRAM View Post
    Because it's factually true
    It is factually true that those "who don't fall under the cult of personality of Obama or simply don't agree with his political agenda get labeled as racists," so when are y'all going to stop doing that?

Oct 29, 2008, 01:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    It is factually true that those "who don't fall under the cult of personality of Obama or simply don't agree with his political agenda get labeled as racists," so when are y'all going to stop doing that?
    Steve, ZoeMarie was being tongue-in-cheek, but to answer your question I'll never stop assaulting racists and I do hope that bothers you. Capisci?
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Oct 29, 2008, 01:06 PM

It seems to me the racist card is getting dealt way too much. I blame supporters rather than Obama. If your only defense to a challenge about your candidate's positions is "you're a racist" then you really need to re-evaluate why you are supporting this person.

Oct 29, 2008, 01:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Emland View Post
    It seems to me the racist card is getting dealt way too much. I blame supporters rather than Obama. If your only defense to a challenge about your candidate's positions is "you're a racist" then you really need to re-evaluate why you are supporting this person.
    Emland, I think we all agree with you in principle that our election should be based on the issues. That's why if you look back in this post Obama, the supporters, including myself, gave plenty of excellent reasons based on legitimate issues. Now unfortunately as diversified as the US is, racism is still prevalent. Where you and I differ though is that I blame uneducated ignoramuses that spouted off that Obama was/is a closet radical Muslim, not a born citizen of the US, a communist, and anti-American. It was the same sort of propaganda drek that fostered hate of six million Jews on their way to an early grave and I'm not the pacifist to let that happened unchecked. My foot never tires of kicking idiot's in their tuchus.
    spitvenom Posts: 1,266, Reputation: 373
    Ultra Member

Oct 29, 2008, 01:34 PM

My Grandma called me racist against white people cause I am voting for Obama and I'm white. But the funny part is she is such a yellow dog Dem she is voting for him too or as she says I am voting with my party.

I am getting sick of hearing everyone say well if you don't vote for Obama then you are racist. Just because you don't vote for Obama does not make you racist. Unless you say I am not voting for Obama because he is black, then you're a racist.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Survey [ 1 Answers ]

I'm doing a final year project about hygiene and who influences people to practice good food hygiene in their home. In this I'm doing a survey to collect results. So if you are interested please fill out the form. The survey is found at www.hygiene.netfirms.com

The survey says [ 1 Answers ]

The results came in as to boundaries. The property I bought with two rentals has my trailers, septic, driveway lawns. They have been there for at least 15 yrs, I donot own property trailers are on. Saw lawyer that was hired for the purchase of property. He says I should talk to man who owns...

Survey [ 1 Answers ]

I'm doing a final year project about hygiene and who influences people to practice good food hygiene in their home. In this I'm doing a survey to collect results. So if you are interested please fill out the form. The survey is found at www.hygiene.netfirms.com

View more questions Search