Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mamdooh Deeb Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2008, 03:45 AM
    Difference btwn steel 316L & 304?
    Dear all,

what is the difference between the steel 316L & 304?
    are there a food grade steel?
    is it necessary to use the 316L in the piping which will be in a drinking water plant?

:)
    regards,
    :)
    andy2009 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2009, 01:13 AM

316L 00Cr17Ni12Mo2
    304 0Cr18Ni9

We usually supply 316L pipe for food plant...
    sixsigmais Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2009, 03:02 AM

Grade 316 is the standard molybdenum-bearing grade, second in importance to 304 amongst the austenitic stainless steels. The molybdenum gives 316 better overall corrosion resistant properties than Grade 304, particularly higher resistance to pitting and crevice corrosion in chloride environments.

Grade 316L, the low carbon version of 316 and is immune from sensitisation (grain boundary carbide precipitation). Thus it is extensively used in heavy gauge welded components (over about 6mm). There is commonly no appreciable price difference between 316 and 316L stainless steel.

The austenitic structure also gives these grades excellent toughness, even down to cryogenic temperatures.

Compared to chromium-nickel austenitic stainless steels, 316L stainless steel offers higher creep, stress to rupture and tensile strength at elevated temperatures.

Therefore, 316L is necessary to be used for drinking water due to better anti-corrosion
    scottysofty Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2012, 12:05 AM
    What is the approx. (for a real dirty quote comparison) price difference in % between 304 & 316L. We had a quote for a 304 heat exchanger and they needed a quick quote for a 316L material. So we did a very very budgetary price adder of 20% do you think this was enough of a price increase between the two materials.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Extruding Steel [ 2 Answers ]

Is it possible to extrude steel?

Cut stainless steel [ 5 Answers ]

How do I cut holes in a stainless steel sink?

PVC to Steel drain [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1 1/2 inch steel drain that I want to transition to PVC. Do I just use a 1 1/2 inch female PVC threaded fitting with some teflon tape or joint compound? Any one know the correct way for this? Thanks

Steel Plate [ 1 Answers ]

I am drawing for a manufacturer to bend steel plate into a U shape. The steel is galvanised and 1.5mm thick. How do I show the Radius of the bend? What is the maximum radius I can bend with 1.5mm steel?

Difference btwn Pepsi and Coke [ 10 Answers ]

My friend and I are doing a project on the difference between Pepsi and Coke. We found out that both soft drinks have the same ingredients, excpet Pepsi has citric acid in it. Does anyone know what differnce the citric acid does to Pepsi? What is citric acid? What does it do to beverages? Does...

View more questions Search