Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    keltik21 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2006, 03:13 PM
    How do I find a great new job
    Hi, I am new to this website and I am fresh out of ideas as far as the job market or marketing myself properly is concerned. I am also having an extremely hard time figuring out what I actually would like to do. I have an awesome job with benefits as a recruiter/temp laborer provider/asst. manager right now. The only problem with this is the pay... I am treated as a CSR so my pay is only $9.93 per hour which is terrible and I can no longer afford to do anything that I like to do. I have been with this company for well over a year and have been very dedicated since day one. This has been making me very unhappy and has been the cause of many of my recent anxiety attacks. It would be great if someone could give me a fresh outlook and guidance so I could get back on the right track.:)
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 7, 2006, 03:17 PM
    Well, kind of hard to answer since there are so many types of employment. Have you thought about going back to school?

It was not until I was 39 that I decided what I want to be when I grew up. A nurse, not since I am not grown up I have decided to go into another area, medical research.

You really have to look deep inside of yourself and find out what your hobbies are, what interests you, what experiences you have had in life that you could contribute.

I am a cancer survivor and through many experiences, good and bad, I have decided to put my medical knowledge to work for me and my pocketbook.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 7, 2006, 03:21 PM
    Of course all things are in relation to where you live, here in wonderful Sparta TN, there is very high unemployment, the very best company to work for here is Walmart. ( if that tells you anything)

We had people almost lined up down the street when we offered a job paying 10.00 a hour with no benefits at all.

But with that said, first what is your education, do you have a college degree, if no, that will be the first main thing unless you wish to go into a trade like plumbing or electrical or perhaps auto mechanic.

Two of my sons are plumbers and I understand going rate now is in the 20 dollars a hour.

Next what do you like to do, fish and hunt, perhaps a course of study to be a forest ranger, pay not great, but you would be doing what you like.

If you wish to move up in a company, first you have to look at what is good and bad about you, and sell the good things, And of course have the training and the such to do it.

Also some fields just do pay that well, or may have high turn over.

Basically for the company you work for, they view your job more as clerical with little real management authority, what is the job promotion in your current company, where did the last few people in your current job go and why.

Do other companies in the same field, offer better pay and benefits for similar positions.

Jun 7, 2006, 03:38 PM
    I went to college and graduated about 5 years ago (I am going to be 26 this year) with a Bachelor's in Culinary and I am still very much in debt because of it. I am out here in WA because I went into the Navy with which I did a few years. I am love it here, it is wonderful and my boyfriend is still active duty. I cannot afford to go back to school nor am I really sure I want to. I need to find something that I can be passionate about and that pays more.
    Expert

Jun 7, 2006, 03:42 PM
    Okay, well where you are in WA I believe is a great tourist town, correct me if I am wrong. Why don't you go into the culinary field. My cousin does that in Alaska and makes great money and meets neat new people.

Just a thought.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Jun 7, 2006, 03:47 PM
    It sounds like the shoemaker who's kids went barefoot! You need to recruit your talents into this one, keltik21, as strange as that sounds!

Start by building a resume if you don't have one. Make one without an objective that lays out your education, job experience, interests, etc. There are lots of sites on the internet that can help with that - so get surfing! If you write or have one, there is a proofreader here (look in the Introductions) who might help with finishing touches, I am guessing? It always helps to make yourself look good on paper (honestly though okay? Lol).

Then you need to meet with an employment agency, as if you are signing up but don't sign up! Simply listen to what they say and answer them by nodding a lot and saying you'll think about it - they can be a great source of free advice. They will tell you lots of things to get you to sign but don't do it.

Next you need to apply to a bunch of places, lots of them, any and all you can find from want ads, job fairs, etc. and go to as many interviews as you can even if it doesn't seem like a job you would want. This is why your resume lacks an objective - more general application that way. Write a short and snappy cover letter and spend a little on postage too. Stir the pot! Think of it as fishing and researching rolled into one. It's a great way to learn where you fit in and the practice at interviewing will only make you better and better. And you meet some people too.

And it just may be that along the way, a few doors open to you that you never knew would be there, simply by all the energy you are willing to put into it. Along the way, if it becomes evident you need more education to get you to the next level, then use these same investigative skills you have found here in this process to find where and how you can attend school.

It sounds to me like you have a lot more on the ball than you are giving yourself credit for - I can tell you I was impressed by your writing in the post.

The trick to good work is to enjoy yourself. Don't let the money be the reason even though its sooo tempting to focus there when you aren't making enough.

Thanks for posting and I hope this helps.

Jun 7, 2006, 03:49 PM
    We have a similar situation in Whidbey Island. It seems that eveybody here has a Master's or a Bachelor's in something but since it a very quaint area it is an extremely hard to get a job, heck full time and with benefits is a God send. I just feel I could be doing more with my life. Rock and a hard place huh?

Jun 7, 2006, 04:06 PM
    Thank you Val, I appreciate the complement ( on my writing). I have a dear friend who is currently helping me write a new resume in more of a general format instead of gearing it to the culinary field. She writes excellent resumes (I know because I hired her a few months ago for another branch). The one thing is though my company is a sub-contractor for many major and minor businesses in this area. This makes me a little worried that someone will come back and spill the beans on my new job search.

Jun 7, 2006, 04:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by keltik21
    The one thing is though my company is a sub-contractor for many major and minor businesses in this area. This makes me a little worried that someone will come back and spill the beans on my new job seach.
    I believe its still rare the company that would fire you over that. Besides, THAT is on who does that, not you and the last time that happened to me, I was offered a big raise. HA HA.

Funny thing is by then I found the job I wanted more and so I was able to say to them if I was worth the raise on the merits of my work before they knew, it should have been offered much much sooner!

Glad to hear you have some things in the works. So now don't let any fear stand in your way.
    Expert

Jun 7, 2006, 04:12 PM
    I tried, but have to spread the love around some more Val. What wonderful advice, will you adopt me?

Janine
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Jun 7, 2006, 04:21 PM
    Since you have a degree in Culinary, have you thought of going into business for yourself, for example, as a caterer? Or teaching cooking classes? With both of those you could control the amount of money you make / charge, at least to a certain extent, and also be your own boss. Going into business isn't for everyone, but there are usually lots of government resources available to people who want to have their own businesses... grants, loans, counseling, etc... it might be worth a try. Me, I had my own business (I'm an artist) until I had my baby.

Jun 7, 2006, 04:25 PM
    Thank you all very much for your input. It is very much appreciated. I will keep you updated on the progress :) :) :)
    Expert

Jun 7, 2006, 04:27 PM
    Val, you also have 4 grandchildren. You are the lucky one, my Mom did all the work, now I get to come visit you in FL right? LOL, my daughter is going there in July.

Back on topic though, your ideas are very clever and may just work. I like the way you tend to think out of the box.

Jun 7, 2006, 04:27 PM
    That is an interesting thought as far as private cooking classes. It is definitely something I will look into.

Jun 7, 2006, 05:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    Val, you also have 4 grandchildren. My daughter is going there in July.
    I'm a nana too?? (fans myself) :o Umm, where is she going in Florida? (You can tell me in PM if this feels to public too?)

I like Chava's ideas A LOT about starting a business... chants: We'll help! We'll help! :D

And Kelti, please do keep us posted on progress, that is SO gratifying to hear from someone who asked a question here! :)
    Expert

Jun 7, 2006, 05:48 PM
    Yes, Chava's were wonderful too, she has such beautiful insight for such a youngster!!

Destin I believe.

Yes, Kelti, keep us posted.
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Jun 7, 2006, 05:49 PM
    Have you considered starting your own business? In an area with such a large amout of professionals, which work too long and hard to always cook, Could you not find a nitch market for your culinary skills? Baking cookies and muffins for gift baskets. Private Chef for Friday and Saturday nights by appointment only. I did read your post correctly in that you went to culinary school, correct? I mean, the Navy did'nt teach you to cook did they? In that case, scratch that idea. Unless of course you make a mean plate of SOS!:eek:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My Great Dane doesn't like to Eat [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there, I have a rather large problem with our pet Dane. He has no interest in any kind of food that dogs are meant to eat. He is now 20 months old and we have had nothing but problems with him over his lack of eating. He has never showen any interest in food other than cat food. But just...

Great Gatsby [ 1 Answers ]

How does Gatsby's life verify the theme "blind pursuit of an ideal is destructive"? How is Gatsby's life like a Horatio Alger story?

Great Ape Crossbreediing [ 4 Answers ]

Question deleted by author due to no response. Restored: There have been attempts at crossbreeding humans and chimps. Has there been attempts at crossbreeding great apes with othe great apes. For example, Gorilla and orangutan, or chimp and oragutan, or orangutan and gorilla and so on?

What's the name of this great track? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, Can anyone help? I heard this track on the radio a while back but have no idea of the name or artist, and haven't heard it again since. Genre is Dance/Techno pretty fast beat with female vocals; the chorus goes something like "see right through it, like it's made of glass" "get your x-ray...

View more questions Search