Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    760m951g Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2008, 05:30 PM
    Circuit Breaker Tripped, but still have power
    I have a circuit breaker switch that is tripped and I cannot reset it. It keeps tripping. I have checked all the lights in every room in the house and have power. I have not checked all the outlets, but if the CB is tripped the lights in the room shouldn't come on. I've checked my GFI outlets as well. Is it possible to still have power if a breaker is defective?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 27, 2008, 08:34 PM

There is no rule saying the lights and the outlets have to be on the same circuit. In many cases it makes sense that they are different.

It could be a sump pump or something.

In your free time, label the breakers.
    aroslinger1 Posts: 35, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2008, 12:36 PM
    Yes you can have a faulty breaker
    I have worked on many split bus panels i.e... federal pacific, zynsco etc
    Where I have found breakers with hole blown in the side of them and still working
    As well assome that have looked fine and have been set to the off position and still be energized
    Flying Blue Eagle Posts: 2,056, Reputation: 225
    Ultra Member

Oct 29, 2008, 09:09 PM

760m95g - Go to the ,electrical dept, at Lowe's and get you a electrical tester pen
    It looks just likle a pen ,you can carry it in your shirt pocket just like a ballpoint pen ;
    They are not very expensive at all , they run about $ 14.00, And anything that has electricety in it it will pick it up fast with a chirping sound and a little red light starts blinking . You could take it and put the pen close to the wire comeing off the breaker that is tripped and find out quick if there is power on that circuit or not , Breakers do do what you and the other have said ,BUT ARE YOU SURE THAT YOU ARE ON THE RIGHT Circuit BREAKERFOR THE CIRCUIT THAT YOU ARE Having TROUBLE WITH < THERE IS A POSSIBLE CHANCH THAT YOU HAVE MORE THEN JUST ONE BREAKER TRIPPED AND THERE IS STILL POWER ONM THE CIRCUIT THAT GOES TO THE CIRCUIT YOU REALLY NEED TO TURN OFF :: Both of them above gave you some good advise , Have a nice day and a safe one
    And GOD BLESS >> F.B.E.
    daddysmurf Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2010, 10:08 AM

If the breaker is tripped and will not reset the breakeer is bad and must be changed The question is what made the breaker trip!! Remove the breaker and get one that is a match or one which will fit your panel.
    daddysmurf Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2010, 10:18 AM
    I'm sorry I reread your question and you are able to reset the breaker ? Then the breaker may not be bad at all ,your missing something on the circuit which you have not checked, a receptacle outside that has water in it if the gfic is tripped, a switched receptacle , normanly in a house one item is not put on it's own circuit .
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 8, 2010, 01:52 PM
    Old thread, now closed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Replaced circuit breaker still no power to garage [ 5 Answers ]

There was an overload many times on this specific breaker, and we replaced it and there is still no power to the garage. It was a double switch 20 amp circuit breaker/fuse that was replaced, and the main switch outside to the power was shut off before we replaced the breaker. There was a severe...

No power to section of house. No tripped circuit breaker [ 19 Answers ]

Hi, I am currently renovating a living room dining room area. I was done for the day and in the process of cleaning up. I had a compressor connected to an outlet on one side and was using it to blow off saw dust off my miter saw. No other tool or light fixture in the area was on. I then plugged...

Breaker tripped after accidental short after reset only halfthe circuit came bck on [ 3 Answers ]

While changing a light switch the hot accidentally shorted, the breaker tripped and after resetting only half the circuit fired back up. I checked all the outlets and switches all seemed good but again only half of them had power. Any suggestions. Thanks in advance!

Freaked out by sparks and tripped circuit breaker [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I had a circuit breaker box installed about a month ago. I also had recessed lighting installed in the bedrooms with dimmer switches. The wiring goes from the box to the attic and connects to the each lighting fixture. This was all done by a professional. Today, just as I walked into...

Circuit breaker trips when little power being used [ 3 Answers ]

The circuit breaker that controls the downstair supply of lighting clicks off at strange times. The individual electrical items have their own breakers ie: lights, fridge freezer, TV and washing machine. The individual breakers do not click but the main breaker. It happens during the night when...

View more questions Search