Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bEaUtIfUlbRuNeTtE Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Oct 28, 2008, 10:33 AM

Thank you J_9. How do doctors diagnose GERD or any kind of reflux disease? What are the proceedures?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 28, 2008, 10:37 AM
    My doctor went specifically on my symptoms. Could be because I am a nurse and I have been taught to recognize symptoms. However, with GERD many doctors do go by symptoms until it has gone on so long that there is damage to the esophagus that can be seen with an upper GI scan.

My doc prescribed it to me for 2 months to see if it was effective, since it was, he sent in a years' prescription. Again, your symptoms are identically like mine. You can ask your doctor if he thinks this may be what you are experiencing.
    Ultra Member

Oct 28, 2008, 10:55 AM

What are the proceedures for an upper G.I. scan?
    TexasParent Posts: 378, Reputation: 73

Oct 28, 2008, 11:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    My doctor went specifically on my symptoms. Could be because I am a nurse and I have been taught to recognize symptoms. However, with GERD many doctors do go by symptoms until it has gone on so long that there is damage to the esophagus that can be seen with an upper GI scan.

My doc prescribed it to me for 2 months to see if it was effective, since it was, he sent in a years' prescription. Again, your symptoms are identically like mine. You can ask your doctor if he thinks this may be what you are experiencing.
    While going to a doctor and finding out what is specifically happening is always the best course, prescription medications are often overpriced, and doctors generally will steer you in the direction of a prescription drug instead of something over the counter (sometimes they get kickbacks for prescribing prescription medications from the drug company).

Here is what I would do. First if you have medical insurance or can afford to see a doctor I would schedule a visit and find out exactly what is wrong. My sense though is since you asked for advice here going to a doctor is not your first choice and would rather try something first before seeing a doctor. While this is probably not the smartest course of action in case you are treating something that doesn't exist and your real problem could be getting worse; again see a doctor, so far none of us here claim to be one.

Having said that, if it is not your intent to see a doctor; try the Prolisec first and see if your symptoms are relieved. If they are, I would still have the doctor check you out at your next visit as the Prolisec could be masking a more serious condition that needs treatment. If it doesn't work, again see a doctor quickly so that he can determine the exact nature of the problem and prescribe something for it.

Unless someone here can say otherwise, I would continue on your course of trying the sample Prilosec you ordered and if it doesn't work then promptly book a visit to the doctor. If it does work, the next time you visit the doctor, say for an annual exam, then I would mention your previous symptoms and that you are taking Prilosec and want him/her to check this out further as you heard from a nurse acquaintance that it could be GERD.

Again, good luck.
    Ultra Member

Oct 28, 2008, 11:44 AM

Going to the doctors is my third choice, right after asking for advice and then trying certain medications.
    susiesuek Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 10, 2008, 05:15 AM

I am 30 and have suffered from heartburn and acid reflux for the las 3-4 years. I have been on ranitidine tablets for the last 3 years which were prescribed by my doctor. I would go and see your GP first before you buy anything over the counter in case you can get something stronger or better. Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heartburn in early pregnancy [ 2 Answers ]

With my previous pregnancy I had awful heartburn after 25 weeks. I never even had heartburn until I was pregnant. I panicked and didn't know what I was feeling and called my doctor and she calmly and jokingly explained it was heartburn. After I had my son I no longer had heartburn. Now I am...

More political heartburn for Obama. Will McCain capitalize on this? [ 7 Answers ]

The news reports that the verdict is in. The question is: Will Republican Presidential Nominee John McCain capitalize on this and other stories surrounding Obama and his friends? ABC News: Verdict Brings Unwanted Friend to Obama Victory Party

Acceleration Constant [ 1 Answers ]

A bolt comes loose from the bottom of an elevator that is moving upward at a speed of 6.04 m/s. The bolt reaches the bottom of the elevator shaft in 4.30 s. How high up was the elevator when the bolt came loose?

Constant periods [ 10 Answers ]

I have been having a period for the last 7-8weeks and I don't know what could be causing this I am still taken my pill and stopping when I am meant to what could be wrong?

Constant acceleration [ 3 Answers ]

A car travelling at 100km/h takes 65 m to stop after the driver sees a child run on to the road chasing a ball. If the driver's reaction time is 0.25s, calculate the deceleration of the car. Thanks

View more questions Search