Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Amateur_vince Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2006, 09:50 AM
    Floor Drain...
    SpeedBall1,

Your help in the pass have been very helpful and appreciated. I got one quick question for you:
    I want to replace my rusted floor drain with a new plastic one, just that simple... however it looks like the old rusted 2 inch floor drain has a vent 1/2 inch pipe attached to left side of where the P-trap is at (that's just my theory). I can see this 1/2 inch pipe travels vertical up along side with the 4 inch main stack pipe and into the wall. Do you know what is the purpose of this 1/2 inch pipe used for? Do you see any problems of putting in the new floor drain that is not identical to the old one so that I don't have to worry about this 1/2 inch pipe?

Again, your help are deeply appreciated.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 7, 2006, 03:53 PM
    Hey Vince,

Since floor drains do not requirea vent what you have is a Drain from something. It could be a AC condensate drain, a drain from a washer pan or a line from the heater T&P valve. But whatever, it's not a vent. If your old floor drain is cast iron I can make it easy for you. Cut the cast iron close to the hub of the pipe it's joined up with leaving about 1 1/2" of stock you mjay then use a NO-Hub Band, to connect the new floor drain to the drain line. Easy huh? Cheers, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Floor drain on slab [ 1 Answers ]

Good afternoon to all. Recently began to remodel a small bath on a slab. Problem. Bath is on a slab, it only has a shower and toilet. I have removed shower and would like to install a vanity and toilet only. All the walls are concrete block, and concrete slab floor. There was not vanity before and...

Floor Drain Help [ 11 Answers ]

Hello: I have a house that was built around 1948. It is a two story house with a basement. In the basement the floor drain has been backing up recently. My instinct is to snake the floor drain. However, I want to understand the function of the various pipes before I begin. I have attached a...

Basement floor drain [ 1 Answers ]

My basement floor has no floor drain. I am concerned that if there is a water event like a hot water heater rupture the basement will flood. What is the best way to install a floor drain for the basement? I have busted up some of the slab because I am adding a bathroom in the basement. Have you...

Raising a floor drain in concrete floor [ 2 Answers ]

I have an old concrete floor with a newer pvc type drain. The floor slopes about 1.5" over 2' around the drain so I would like to raise the drain in order to level the floor to install ceramic tiles. I'm still going to ensure the floor slopes toward the drain just enough. I figure I need to...

Converting cast iron floor drain to shower drain [ 3 Answers ]

I am adding a bathroom to my basement, which has partial (complete? ) plumbing already roughed into the floor (in 1976). Sewage lift station (vented) is 3 ft from 4" styrofoam plug (toilet), 4 ft from 1 1/2 inch cast male pipe end extending through floor (lav, have already added vertical vent...

View more questions Search