Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Twelvevman Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2008, 09:17 AM
    Blueberry bush pruning
    I bought a house that has 3 blueberry trees. They had a great crop all summer. Is there any type of prunning I need to do on the tree, other then any dead branches?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Oct 27, 2008, 04:03 PM

Selection of a training system will help guide how you prune your blueberries. Many fruit gardeners prefer to retain two to three main canes that will anchor the bush's fruit production. Young blueberries are carefully trained to maintain close base at the root crown and an open center to allow sunlight to pass through and allow air movement.

1. Visually observe the blueberry bush.
    2. Imagine what the plant should look like when pruning is completed.
    3. All diseased and broken canes should be removed first.
    4. Canes that are seven years old or older should be considered for removal.
    5. No more than two to three mature canes should be removed each year to avoid pruning out too many fruit buds.
    6. Selective pruning will help to stimulate new cane growth each year.
    7. Remove branches that are touching and any dead twigs.
    8. The bush should be: a) narrow at base, b) open in the center, and c) free of vegetative clutter.

Shoots harden-off as canes with a grayish-brown color and will be approximately pencil size or greater in diameter. Normally, fruiting buds are not counted on blueberry bushes to determine the maximum fruit load.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pruning Skyrocket Junipers - How? [ 1 Answers ]

I planted 2 Skyrocket Junipers up against the front of my home 2 years ago, in a rather confined area, and I have not pruned them yet. I desperately need to prune them now so that they will stay more narrow and not spread out in width like they are doing. Does anyone have a suggestion as to...

Blueberry bushes [ 7 Answers ]

My mother purchased 2 one gallon blueberry plants. 1 blueray, and 1 bluecrop. She wants to transplant them into her garden. Is there any special requirements? :confused:

Pruning bushes [ 2 Answers ]

I have six bushes of Texas purple sage. They are on each end of my house in the flower beds. They have gotten too big and I need to know if I can cut them back like a lot? The leaves on the bottoms have gotton very sparse. Would appreciate any feed back. Thanks

View more questions Search