Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2006, 05:47 AM
    Need advice on fertilizer application
    My goal is to control/eliminate the broadleaf weeds such as dandelions. I'd like to apply a Weed and Feed type fertilizer tonight but the weather forecast is calling for 3 days of light rain - is this good in that it'll help the fertilizer to get into the soil or is it bad because the rain may wash away the fertilizer application?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2006, 03:47 AM
    The weed and feed works on the plant, not the soil.

The various products will have various ranges of time that it should be applied before rain. Typically, the granules can handle rain earlier than the liquid.

Typically the packaging will give the recommended "pre rain" time for the particular brand and mixture that you've got.

We use liquid and use it when we expect rain no earlier than 48 hours after the application. The company that applies it, though, says that 24 hours is OK.

... so somewhere between those two should be a good rule of thumb.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2006, 11:45 AM
    Sorry man, forgot to thank you for this info. I'll have a look at the packaging of the product I'm considering.

Cheers!
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2006, 11:54 AM
    No thanks needed. Do you have the address to send me the check? :p
    aqua@home Posts: 565, Reputation: 107

Jun 15, 2006, 08:51 AM
    Another thing that will help get rid of the weeds without too many chemicals is over seeding. If you sprinkle some grass seed the baby grass will choke out the weeds. I have heard that this works with most unwanted plants, like dandilions and crab or quack grass, etc. It's what I am trying and I have to tell you my dandilions are definitely not coming back.

I am trying:
    1. weed and feed
    2. over seed
    3. mow

Good luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Weed and feed lawn fertilizer [ 4 Answers ]

I had a very old lawn. Last Fall, aerated and double seeded and it looked like Better Homes and Gardens. In spring I used the Scotts Step I fertilizer with halts. Now I used Step 2, Weed and Feed, and the lawn looks terrible. It gets browner every day, I think it killed all the new grass. What...

Grub Control and Fertilizer [ 1 Answers ]

Hello: I will be putting down grub control and fertilizer this week because it is going to rain. Does it matter which order I lay them in? Thanks, Paul

Fertilizer [ 1 Answers ]

What better scotts or sta-green. Scotts is $42.00 Sta-green is $26.00

When to lay fertilizer? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Im from ON, Canada. The weather this week has had highs of about 15C. I have scotts fertilizer weed control which will control dandelions. Last year I had a ton of them and want to avoid it this year. It says to lay the fertizlizer when weeds are actively growing. Do I lay this down in the next...

Application Hijacking [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everyone. I'm experincing a couple of problems but I'll post each one as a separate thread to enable others experincing similar problems to hopefully find the solution without having to ask again. Should I be concerned about this? (4 entries in my security log): (All the same REMOTE MAC :...

View more questions Search