Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    atapatap Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2008, 08:09 PM
    Lawfully issued subpoena
    A summons issued by the Internal Revenue Service is considered a "lawfully issued subpoena" for the purposes of FERPA. Does the same apply to HIPAA?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 27, 2008, 06:05 AM

Can you please tell us more about this case, you have asked several questions about subpoena and medical field.

If we know more about what is happening it can help us better.

Yes, it is valid
    hipaadiva Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2008, 03:47 PM
    A lawfully issued subpoena is a lawfully issued subpoena, regardless of who issues it. As long as they are authorized to issue, then that's it. Yes, the IRS can subpoena medical records -- if a judge will sign the order, then that's all that is required.

There's a little more to the issuance of subpoenas issued from administrative proceedings, but the bottom line is that you won't be able to hide your medical records from the courts.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can 3rd party collection agency lawfully collect debt w/o a contract. [ 2 Answers ]

I'm going back and forth with a 3rd party collection agency and was wondering if a 3rd party collection agency can lawfully collect a debt if there is no contract between the collection agency and the original creditor that expressly transfers the legal right to collect this debt to the collection...

Subpoena for someone else [ 2 Answers ]

Someone just handed me a subpoena for someone else who lives with me (my fiance). Can they do that? They told me to call him and tell him he has court on Monday when I told them he would not be back until Tuesday!! Do I have to track him down?? :eek:

Pro per subpoena [ 1 Answers ]

Can a pro per litigant in a family law case subpoena records for child support income purposes?

Subpoena in pro per? [ 8 Answers ]

Can a civil defendant acting In Pro Per issue a subpoena to produce documents? Rich

Confusion over nyc issued 1099 Misc form, NJ issued W2, and state taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I am a canadian citizen and a non resident alien, graduate student in NJ. I reside in NJ and worked as an independent contractor in NYC over last summer. Since I worked on campus for a few months lst year, I was issued a W2 form for $732 in the state of NJ. I also worked as an...

View more questions Search