Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    corvo45 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2008, 07:55 PM
    Sunset times
    Good Morning,

Although the shortest day is not till Dec.22nd. Sunset times are already becoming earlier earlier.

Why is this?

Thank you.

Archie
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Nov 3, 2008, 03:00 PM

As the earth moves towards the winter solstice the days become shorter and the nights correspondingly longer. This is due to the tilt of the earth's axis compard to the plane of the earth's orbit around the sun. For the northern hemisphere the tilt means that the north pole is tipped away from the sun, so that as the earth rotates each day about its axis anyone located in the northern hemisphere spnds more time in darkness than in sunlight. Through December 22 the tilt axis each day points more directly away from the sun, and hence the nights are getting longer, which means the sun sets earlier.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

We've only had sex 3 times! [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I'm 25 and my girlfriend is 20. I've been with her now for 8 months and we've only had sex 3 times! The first was after about 2 months, then about 2 months after that and once again recently.. When I confront her about it she acts as if it's just been unfortunate as we rarely have places...

My dog poo over 7 times a day ! [ 5 Answers ]

I havea one year old sheltie boy According to my breeder instruction I feed him once a day with "HILLS" I wonder if I'ts' his dog food or what Because he poo 7 times a day at different times (hard to find his fixed time) therefore making training very Hard. The dog I had before only poo...

Sunset nov 4, 2006 [ 1 Answers ]

What time does the sun set on November 4th, 2006 in jacksonville fl?

Sunset November 4 [ 1 Answers ]

What time will the sunset in San Diego, CA on November 4, 2005

Sunrise/Sunset asymmetry at solstice [ 2 Answers ]

Can anyone help me to understand why the earliest sunset occurs one or two weeks before the winter solstice, and the latest sunrise occurs one or two weeks later? I imagine that the slight change in orbital position from day to day must have some impact, but I still can't visualize it. Thanks...

View more questions Search