Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    richka Posts: 145, Reputation: -1

Oct 26, 2008, 07:18 PM
    Intestinal bleeding
    A friend has stomach pains and nausea constantly. Then he started having black stools.
    At the moment he has taken to bed and can't get up without stomach pain.
    The thing is, he has a gastrointerologist who has done an endoscopy as well as a colonoscopy. He also swallowed a camera and the usual MRI and Cat scans. All these tests show nothing. He was in hospital for 2 days and all they did was stop the intestinal bleeding, then released him without knowing what was wrong. And this was the University of Arizona medical center, known as a leading medical establishment. I don't understand it and it's heartbreaking to see him slowly dying.
    Will this pass or is it terminal? Is there anything I can do to help?
    Synntiera00 Posts: 19, Reputation: 4

Oct 26, 2008, 07:56 PM

This happened to my ex and he was supposed to get surgery, but before he could it went away on it's own, but everyone's body works differently. The only advice I could give you is to have your friend see another doctor... I wish your friend the best of luck!
    boron Posts: 38, Reputation: 5

Oct 27, 2008, 04:45 AM
    Black (tarry?) stools are symptom of the bleeding from the stomach (ulcus, cancer) or upper (esophageal varrices, esophageal cancer, mouth... ). The acid in the stomach changes blood color into black.

Endoscopy and camera (Pillcam) can show bleeding only when bleeding is actually happening. Pillcam, as I know, shows only changes from the small intestine, and not from the stomach.

It is endoscopy, which should show a probable lesion in either esophageal or stomach mucosa. If bleeding will continue, another endoscopy will be needed. CT, MRI, Pillcam, x-ray with barrium cannot show bleeding from the stomach.
    inthebox Posts: 787, Reputation: 179

Oct 27, 2008, 06:07 PM

Upper endoscopy and capsule endoscopy will show ACTIVE gastric bleeding.

Other causes of black stool other than melena, include iron and peptobismol.

http://www.aafp.org/afp/20071001/1005.html

Check table 3

-------------------------------------------------

If your friend is dizzy or faint, due to low blood pressure from gi bleeding, he needs to go to the er.

--------------------------------------------------

How old is your friend?

Does he drink alcohol - this can cause bleeding and alcohol related liver disease can cause gi bleeding for a number of reasons.

Does he smoke - bad for the stomach lining and healing

Does he use NSAIDs like aspirin, ibuprofen, aleve, naproxen, motrin - these can cause ulcers.

-------------------------------------------------

You did not mention if he had a bleeding scan, or a family history of peptic ulcers, crohns or ulcerative colitis.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Intestinal constriction [ 1 Answers ]

Regarding a constriction in the intestines, I've heard of something called Shlotsky's Ring BUT I'm sure I'm spelling it incorrectly. Cannot find it anywhere under that spelling. If I Google it, all I get is a Jewish Deli. Does this "Sholtsky's Ring", ring a bell with anyone? Thanks

Feline Intestinal Peritonitis- FIP [ 3 Answers ]

I just took a cat from a lady who was too poor to get the cat help. She is only 3 lbs and is supposed to be @ 4 months old and you can see every bone in her body. I immediately took her to my vet. He has made up his mind that she has FIP. I made him X-ray her to ensure she was not pregnant ( I am...

Intestinal barrier [ 6 Answers ]

I am looking for scientific informations about which part of digested molecule classes (proteins, carbohydrates, lipids) passes through the intestinal barrier without being (completely) degraded and would be glad for any hint or/and link.

View more questions Search