Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 26, 2008, 05:45 PM
    Today's project - fix pull down attic stairs
    Yuk!

Lid had to be removed. It was a real pain to put back on.

Had a split on the stair runner under the top set around the hinge. Glued and put 4 screws in it.

One step had to be screwed in place with 4 screws.

Tightened all nuts. Got rid of some stove nuts and replaced with fender washers, lockwashers and hex nuts.

Put white grease on all moving parts.

Made stairs a lot less rickety by putting screws on the ends of the stairs, so the stairs rests on the screws. That's the reason for the split. The load was not on the end of the stair runners, but rather on the hinge and lid.

A real PITA. I need a strip of weatherstripping.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 26, 2008, 07:29 PM

Hey KISS, funny you mention this today. My pull down is fine but I am building a air tight insulated box cover to sit over the pull down up in the attic. The box is 32x62 and is made of rigid foam insulation panels taped at the seams. I glued a very soft rope of insulation along the bottom edge all the way around so it will seal. Put 8 pieces of male/female Velcro at various points around the perimeter so I can synch it tight before I close the trap. This should cut down on the frost I have been getting in the attic during the winter. Next project, a solar powered roof vent for the attic.
    Uber Member

Oct 26, 2008, 08:07 PM

Neat.

How about this:

PINKCapĀ® Attic Stair Insulator

Or this:

Attic Tent - Attic Insulation Tent for Attic Laddders

Oct 27, 2008, 06:14 PM

Nice but the 2nd one would cost me $215 and I still can't get the first one to price for me. I spent about $30 so far.
    Uber Member

Oct 27, 2008, 08:20 PM

My plan is to insulate the door with the reflective/bubble stuff from here: Reflectix Inc. | Products and then put some weatherstripping around the door.

Not great, but better than nothing.

Oct 28, 2008, 06:48 PM

Just getting abetter seal around the dges does wonders but I'm going whole hog with better seals and 2 1/2" of rigid foam.
    Uber Member

Oct 28, 2008, 07:12 PM

It's probably going to be that tree fort that you wished you had as a kid? And you'll call it "The Hive".

Oct 28, 2008, 07:14 PM

Man cave
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2008, 10:48 PM

Ballenger:

Just thought I'd put some pictures to the attic stair project:

The runner was repaired.

The stairs were lined with Reflectix which is basically foil between bubble wrap.

Then I put some weatherstripping around the opening. There was already a turn-type latch on the pull down that allows the weatherstripping to stay compressed and keeps the hatch closed.

The final mod was inserting some screws into the ladder to take up the 1/8" of space or so that made the stairs a little unstable. The screws are about 2" long and were pre-drilled to avoid splitting the wood. This made a BIG difference in the ladder stability. The ends of the folded portions sit on these screws when extended.

I've noticed that the hallway is significantly warmer now.
    Attached Images

Nov 18, 2008, 07:02 PM

Been very, very busy but its kind of fun doing some of the stuff I used to do and the pay is greeeaat! Only lasting until Feb 1, 2009 so got to take the cash when I can. Your project looks great. I am taking a slightly different approach and making a big hinged insultaed box above the openingThe box will seal down around the attic floor held tight with velcro. Looks like I won't be doing it until Christamas break.
    Thanks,Bob

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Snowblower won't start, made bad noise using electric, pull cord now hard to pull. [ 7 Answers ]

I tried to start my snowblower today and it wouldn't start. I decided to try the electric start, plugged it in, hit the start button and all it made was a spinny grinding noise. Unplugged it, and tried to start it manually with pull cord again. The cord would not pull without lots of effort and...

Pull cord won't pull on Murray 2.0 mower [ 7 Answers ]

I have a Murray/Briggs 6.0 engine mower and the pull cord is sticking. It will stop after pulling about 4 inches. Then if I jiggle the pull cord it will extend another 4 inches. I can see a plastic piece that seems to be stopping it at every four inches. What is causing this and what is the repair...

Today's her Birthday [ 4 Answers ]

Hello everyone! Today is my ex's birthday. While we've been apart for over 6 months and I'm completely over her. However, I would like to acknowledge her birthday, as it is a big thing to her. I haven't had time to go to the post office (as a load of projects have me going insane!), but I can...

The uhs of today's society [ 7 Answers ]

Why do teenagers, mainly female teenagers go " Stop-uh! Oww-uh!"

View more questions Search