Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MNHowell00 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2008, 05:32 PM
    Going to B School.Do I close 401K?
    Hey there, I am a 29yr old corporate guy.

I am going to Business School in the Fall of 09... I currently have about 10K in my company 401K... what are my options?
    Should I just close it? And if so apart from the 10% penalty what else do I lose?
    Thanks.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Oct 27, 2008, 06:51 AM

Your options are:

A. Do nothing. Most plans allow former employeees to stay in the plan as long as your investment is greater than $5K. This would make sense if you like the investment choices available, or just don't want to have to think about making a change. Be sure to keep your mailing address current.

B. Roll your account to a rollover IRA. Advantage - more choices in investment options, reduced paperwork if you already have an investment or IRA account. It is advisable to do a direct rollover so as to not incur any penalties or taxes.

C. Take some or all of the money in an early withdrawal. Major disadvantages: you pay 10% penalty plus income tax on the withdrawal, and lose your retirement investment. You'd be better off figuring out how to get through B school without tapping this fund.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Losing job, Changing Careers, going back to school, cashing 401K [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Due to corporate downsizing, I will likely not have a job much past the first of the year and I don't expect any severence out of the deal either. I have been an exemplary employee for 7 years, but I know when the game is over. So, because of a large and cumbersome non-compete contract I...

Close my 401K account [ 2 Answers ]

I'd like to close my 401K account, and pay off a bill I have, but I don't qualify for none of the Hardship cases. What can I do besides taking out a loan on my 401k? What I want to do is, just close my account and take my money back, but I'm not sure if I could do that. What are my choices?

401k, quitting job at 49, want to go to school [ 1 Answers ]

I work a rotating shift job (days to nights every 2 weeks) with my husband that is affecting my health after 8 years. I have a 401k, (30,000) that I think I should roll over to an IRA, my husband wants me to pay off my truck (18,000) with the 401k and take some time off. I want to take courses...

Gas line & dryer vent pipe - how close is too close? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm rerouting the gas dryer vent piping so that it will inside the adjoining stud wall. At the top of the wall the vertical exhaust pipe will be within an inch or two of the horizontal running copper gas supply line. Question - is there a minimum distance that the metal dryer exhaust pipe must...

View more questions Search