Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 26, 2008, 05:45 PM
    I wish you luck!! It's so refreshing to see that a mother and her daughter and boyfriend can have such open discussions these days. More parents should be like you.
    Isabel_27 Posts: 90, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2008, 05:52 PM

Thank you for your help. I was never close with my mother, and I didn't want to be like that with my child. So when I had a dughter I did all I could to be home with her and giver her all the attention she needed. We are really close now. And I just love her boyfriend to death, he is such a gentalman
    Expert

Oct 26, 2008, 05:53 PM
    I'm so happy to hear this. I am the same with my daughter. You are a good Mom... I'm sure they will take what you say to heart.

But, just in case, why don't you take her to get on some form of birth control.

Oct 26, 2008, 05:55 PM

Thank you Miss. I will let the chose be up to her.
    Expert

Oct 26, 2008, 06:00 PM
    Ah, you don't have to call me Miss... J will be fine!! ;)

Oct 26, 2008, 06:04 PM

OK J. thanks for your help. I think these kids will do better. I thought I would ask since I didn't want either being in trouble. He just turned 18 today and she won't be 18 till April of 2010 (I know it sounds like 2 years apart but they really aren't. Only a year and a half).
    Troubled_Girl Posts: 7, Reputation: 0

Oct 26, 2008, 06:28 PM

Just because he's 18 doesn't mean anything. I've dated a 17 year old when I was 15 years old. It's the same age diff and no one started calling the cops about that lol no but really enless he's pushing her into something she doesn't want to do it is legal. My mom married my dad and he is 8 years older! Its always hard to hear your daughter is having sex with anyone but in this case it is legal don't worry!
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

Oct 26, 2008, 06:33 PM

Actually it is not legal for them for them to have sex but they can date. The legal age of consent in her age is 18 so if anyone 18 years or older engage in any sexual activity with her 16 year old daughter they can go to jail and be label as a sex offender for life.
    Expert

Oct 26, 2008, 06:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Troubled_Girl View Post
    Just because hes 18 doesnt mean anything. ive dated a 17 year old when i was 15 years old. its the same age diff and no one started calling the cops about that lol no but really enless hes pushing her into something she doesnt want to do it is legal. my mom married my dad and he is 8 years older! its always hard to hear your daughter is having sex with anyone but in this case it is legal dont worry!
    Guess you better check out this website...

A table of worldwide ages of consent, including US states
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 26, 2008, 06:53 PM

There are no laws that govern dating anywhere I know of. I agree with you that the age difference is not too great and I see no problem in these two dating.

But you NEED to impress upon both of them that their engaging in sexual relations IS illegal in your state. He can be prosecuted whether you press charges or not. He could wind up with jail time and a sex offender charge hanging over his head.
    jrsg Posts: 560, Reputation: 67

Oct 26, 2008, 07:04 PM
    Wow, very good parenting. It is good to see that this was already resolved, but I just had to compliment you on your parental skills! I am 16, male, and this is nice to see. I have a fairly open relationship with my parents as well, and it makes life so much easier for me and my parents. Just basically wanted to say good job, so good job! Thank you!

Still, make sure you inform them of the legal risks. ScottGem is right, and a sex offender charge would make life much more difficult for your daughters boyfriend. Its too bad, but unfortunately, it is law.
    XRawrX69 Posts: 10, Reputation: 0

Oct 27, 2008, 04:03 AM
    Actually all these people are right it is statutory rape. But really unless you have a problem with these two dating then leave it alone I think if they love each other and you like the guy then nothing is wrong with that as long as no one reports it. True love has no age limits

Oct 27, 2008, 05:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by XRawrX69 View Post
    actually all these people are right it is statutory rape. But really unless you have a problem with these two dating then leave it alone i think if they love each other and you like the guy then nothing is wrong with that as long as no one reports it. True love has no age limits
    That is so idealistic and so ridiculous I had to respond to it. So you believe that a 14 yr old can feel "true love" for a 24 yr old? Or vice versa? Give me a break!

You are correct that, since the age of consent for TN is 18 that for them to engage in sexual relations would be statutory rape. However, your advice to leave it alone is off base. The boy is risking jail and a lifetime designation as a sex offender. They are also risking having their futures sidetracked by an unwanted pregnancy. So no, leave it alone is not good advice In my opinion.
    SimpleguyJoe Posts: 302, Reputation: 68

Oct 27, 2008, 12:29 PM

The fact is that once a teen has sex they will continue to do so. More so if they are both enjoying it. They might cut drastically down on how much they have but I don't think they will stop completely.

A year and a half is a long time for an 18 year old boy, but I would love to see him prove me wrong!

Oct 27, 2008, 01:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    That is so idealistic and so ridiculous I had to respond to it. So you beleive that a 14 yr old can feel "true love" for a 24 yr old? Or vice versa? Give me a break!

You are correct that, since the age of consent for TN is 18 that for them to engage in sexual relations would be statutory rape. However, your advice to leave it alone is off base. The boy is risking jail and a lifetime designation as a sex offender. They are also risking having their futures sidetracked by an unwanted pregnancy. So no, leave it alone is not good advice IMHO.
    Okay well 1; I said that she should let them be together I never said she should let them have sex. 2; before they even had numbers I bet older guys and younger girls or even younger guys and older girls were together. 3; If the are having protected sex she won't get pregnant! Oh and 4; he won't get jail time or be a registered sex offender if no one reports him. And the 14 year old and 24 year old thing is outrageous she's 16 and he's 18.
    aaj2008 Posts: 139, Reputation: 7

Oct 27, 2008, 01:04 PM

Dating is not illegal! Friendship is not illegal! Sexually touching one another yes... oh and by the way.. if you know about it... you are just as liable as the guy

Oct 27, 2008, 04:38 PM
    Okay well 1; i said that she should let them be together i never said she should let them have sex. 2; before they even had numbers i bet older guys and younger girls or even younger guys and older girls were together. 3; If the are having protected sex she won't get pregnant! Oh and 4; he won't get jail time or be a registered sex offender if no one reports him. And the 14 year old and 24 year old thing is outrageous she's 16 and he's 18.
    1) What you actually said was; "unless you have a problem with these two dating then leave it alone". That infers letting them continue as they are.
    2) Different times had vastly different standards on thises things. As recently as the 19th century, when life spans were a lot shorter and children were required to grow up a lot quicker, the mores were different. But we aren't talking about prehistoric times or over 100 years ago. We are talking about now!
    3) Oh really? You know of a 100% effective form of birth control (other than abstention)? If so, please share it with us.
    4) True, but if someone does report him or she gets pregnant, then he's in big trouble.
    4a) yes, the 14-24 was an extreme example. But what YOU said was; "True love has no age limits". So now you admit that's a ridiculous statement because there are limits.

Oct 27, 2008, 05:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    1) What you actually said was; "unless you have a problem with these two dating then leave it alone". That infers letting them continue as they are.
    2) Different time periods had vastly different standards on thises things. As recently as the 19th century, when life spans were a lot shorter and children were required to grow up a lot quicker, the mores were different. But we aren't talking about prehistoric times or over 100 years ago. We are talking about now!
    3) Oh really? You know of a 100% effective form of birth control (other than abstention)? If so, please share it with us.
    4) True, but if someone does report him or she gets pregnant, then he's in big trouble.
    4a) yes, the 14-24 was an extreme example. But what YOU said was; "True love has no age limits". So now you admit that's a rediculous statement because there are limits.
    1.Yeah but I never said anything about the sex part. And even if she tried to stop it they probably wouldn't stop.
    2.Dude I know were talking about now what I was trying to say was what's the difference and who's to say that a mature person is in love or not no matter how old they are because a lot of OLDER guys are more mature than the YOUNGER ones.
    3.Umm there's also condoms and birth control so there's little chance of pregnancy. Every teenager is at risk of getting pregnant no matter if their boyfriend is 16 or 18.
    4.I don't think there should be limits. Okay 14 to 24 is big but whatever a lot of people 8 years or 10 years apart get married and I also meant in this situation true love shouldn't be a limit maybe I should have made it more clear.

Oct 27, 2008, 06:27 PM
    1.Yeah but i never said anything about the sex part. And even if she tried to stop it they probablly wouldn't stop.
    2.Dude i know were talking about now what i was trying to say was what's the difference and who's to say that a mature person is in love or not no matter how old they are because a lot of OLDER guys are more mature than the YOUNGER ones.
    3.Umm there's also condoms and birth control so there's little chance of pregnancy. Every teenager is at risk of getting pregnant no matter if their boyfriend is 16 or 18.
    4.I don't think there should be limits. Okay 14 to 24 is big but whatever a lot of people 8 years or 10 years apart get married and i also ment in this situation true love shouldn't be a limit maybe i should have made it more clear.
    1. That's right you never said ANYTHING about the sex part. But, again, since the OP mentioned and you told her to leave it alone, the inference was to leave that part alone too.
    2. umm Duh, usually with age comes greater maturity. But you are missing the point. Age does matter. As both parties get older it matters less and less. I have no problem with the age difference here, but the law in their state does have a problem with them having sexual relations.
    3. Um no, only teens who engage in sexual relations risk getting pregnant. And again, I go back to what you actually said; "If the are having protected sex she won't get pregnant!". You didn't say she probablywon't get pregnant or she's unlikely to get pregnant, you said she "won't" get pregnant.
    4. You can't have it both ways. You can't think there shouldn't be a limit but then say that 14-24 is big. I don't see a problem with a 34-44, but when the difference involes an adult and a minor there is usually a big problem.

Yeah, you should be more clear. That's the problem here. You aren't carefully considering what you post. You are making statements that make you look foolish and then compounding the problem by trying to defend them.
    BlessdWitTalenT Posts: 29, Reputation: -2

Oct 27, 2008, 07:00 PM

I don't think it matters if its illegal unless you plan on turning him in. I mean, who's going to find out they're having sex? And then who's going to take it to the cops?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

14 year old dating [ 7 Answers ]

Hi my name is Amanda I am going out with a 17 year old and I am 14 is that Illegal I thought that the law was like no older then 3 years apart . Most girls my age and mabey even younger go out with guys older then that ! Also most guys these days have the mentality of a 10 year old so what is the...

Teenage daughter dating [ 16 Answers ]

My 16 year old daughter has been dating a 17 year old boy for several months. At first, my wife and I found him to be a very nice boy. It didn't take long, though for him to show himself to be a "hot head". I have heard him yelling at my daughter on the phone, I have seen texts from him, in...

My daughter has problems dating [ 18 Answers ]

I don't know what to do... My daughter is kind of overweight, but she is a good daughter, she studies hard in school. Last a week a boy called home wanting to speak to her... she wouldn't answer. She told me that she didn't believe nobody would love her. I think she is lack of confidence....

Daughter dating [ 42 Answers ]

My 14 year old daughter wants me to take a poll. She feel's like she should be allowed to hang out with a boy she likes. Go to his house watch a movie With his parents at home, or go to the movies, ball games, Mcdonalds etc... :eek: She has always been pretty responsible and has never gotten into...

I have a 2 year old daughter and her father has not seen her in over a year. [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 2 year old daughter and her father left me when she was 5 months old and the last time he saw her was 2 weeks before Christmas 2006, he and I were never married. He knows where she is and how to get ahold of me and see her, but has failed in trying to contact me or see her. I do not have a...

View more questions Search