can you email a patient a copy of her x-rays
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 26, 2008, 03:46 PM

Why not?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 26, 2008, 04:09 PM

I had x-rays taken a couple of week ago, there was no printed copy, it was on computer, they had monitors in the exam room and merely opened them.

For them to be emailed they have to be on computer, not all facilities may or may not have that ability
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 26, 2008, 05:44 PM
    This is a gray area as the emailed x-rays can be opened by virtually anyone. This is still being explored by HIPAA.
    hipaadiva Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2008, 03:44 PM
    This question is not being "explored by HIPAA."

There is no part of the HIPAA Privacy or Security Rules that prohibits the emailing of patient records, including films, CDs, diagnostic images, etc.

The security of emailed Protected Health Information is covered in the HIPAA Security Rules (since 2005). This is one of the types of rules that allow the "covered entity" (i.e. doc, hospital, clinic, etc.) to determine whether it is reasonable, based on costs and other factors, to encrypt email. Most facilities and practices do not encrypt email for various technical reasons (mostly -- the receivers rarely have the same encryption certificates, hence the receiver wouldn't be able to open the email).

The sender of the email has the obligation to ensure that the email address is correct, and to be prepared to mitigate any situation in which the email lands at the wrong address.

Health & Human Services has directly answered your question as follows: (see Does the HIPAA Privacy Rule permit a doctor, laboratory, or other health care provider to share patient health information for treatment purposes by fax, e-mail, or over the phone?)

"Does the HIPAA Privacy Rule permit a doctor, laboratory, or other health care provider to share patient health information for treatment purposes by fax, e-mail, or over the phone?

Answer:

Yes. The Privacy Rule allows covered health care providers to share protected health information for treatment purposes without patient authorization, as long as they use reasonable safeguards when doing so. These treatment communications may occur orally or in writing, by phone, fax, e-mail, or otherwise. . .

The Privacy Rule requires that covered health care providers apply reasonable safeguards when making these communications to protect the information from inappropriate use or disclosure. These safeguards may vary depending on the mode of communication used."

Hope this helps.

Lane Hatcher
    ADVERTISING REMOVED

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Emailing Fonts [ 5 Answers ]

How can I email a font so that it can be used by someone else?

Emailing Troops [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone know how to find an overseas troop member to email? Many of the sites I have come upon have just led me on a wild goose chase or not been very self explanatory. Also, some of them have you email "any" troop member when I would like to find one pen pal to keep in contact with. Can...

Emailing accounts to use together [ 2 Answers ]

Dear sirs, Can I use outlook express emailing and at the same time have a gmail emailing account at the same time.

Emailing pictures [ 2 Answers ]

What's the best way to email pictures that on a C.D.

Emailing Music [ 1 Answers ]

I have a friend in another state that has asked me to email him one of his songs from an old CD he made... how do I do this?? I tried to attach like any other file... it didn't work... :)

View more questions Search