Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    enidangel Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2008, 12:57 PM
    Credit Card Judgment
    I'm in credit card trouble and Capital One and have already entered against me. The law firm said in the letter I received that if proper arrangements weren't made the judgment may include bank and wage garnishments, where so allowed by law. I only receive a check from Social Security Disability and a very small check from the Oklahoma State disability aid. I understand they can't garnish Social Security Disability checks, but once deposited, can they take it from my account. My house is also in my name and I need to know if they can attach a lien and how does that work.

I lost my job also and have now injured my back and am looking at back surgery. So, there is no way I can get a part-time job right now.

Can anyone give me advice on the bank account garnishment and a lien against my home. I tried also to make arrangements, but short of paying this in full, they were not interested in working with me.

Thank you... enidangel
    Oklahoma
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Oct 30, 2008, 09:22 AM

Yes, if they have a judgment against you they can freeze your bank account and take the money out of it. I'm not 100% positive what the law is in your state but if they're able, they will probably file a lien against your home if the account garnishment isn't working.
    enidangel Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2008, 10:04 AM

Do you know how a lien on your house works if one is attached? What happens when I go to sell my house, if I do, in the future?

Thanks
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Oct 30, 2008, 10:13 AM

If there is a lien on your property, you can't transfer the deed until the lien is satisfied. So if you try to sell your house, you'll need to pay the lien before the new owners can put the house in their name.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit card Judgment [ 3 Answers ]

Back in 1987 I didn't pay one of my credit card and so it stayed in my credit for 7 years. I just received a judgment on my credit for the same credit card. Is this possible? This has already ruined my credit 20 years ago. What should I do?

Credit card Judgment [ 8 Answers ]

I am in Arizona and I have just beem summons for a judgement on a credit card dedt. Can they put a lien on my home of garnish my wages?

Credit Card Judgment [ 3 Answers ]

I have researched the info I can find on here before posting this. I can't find what I need to know. Here is my situation. I was served a summons to appear in court for $6400 credit card debt. I called the attorney that is representing the bank that is sueing me for judgment. I asked for the...

Credit card judgment [ 1 Answers ]

My bank account was frozen needless to say there was a judgment against me from an old credit card dept the collection agency claims that was my account ,I filed an order to show cause emedeitly and my court date is up soon.but I really don't know if the account is mine,can I ask for validation of...

View more questions Search