Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bergs4 Posts: 107, Reputation: 3

Oct 26, 2008, 10:59 AM
    250v outlet ground wire
    Hello,

I recently purchased a house built in 1948. When I attempted to install my dryer, I realized the outlet was 3 prong 250v. A helpful post said that I could convert this outlet to 3 prong 240v. I have looked a little closer in the outlet and noticed there are two hots (red and black stranded) and what looks like some sort of stranded copper clad wire (the outside looks silver while the middle is copper). I have two questions:

1) Does anyone know what type of wire this is, and will I risk rusting a connection to a new 240v outlet?

2) What tool should I use to test if this wire is actually a ground wire (which I'm assuming it is) -- the access to the area under the house where this wire leads is very difficult to get to, so following it visually to a water pipe would be difficult.

Thank you.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Oct 26, 2008, 11:11 AM
    What you need is NOT 250v. What you need is a 120/240v circuit, and that IS what you have.
    Older "3-wire" dryer and range circuits were two hots and a neutral, with no ground. The neutral also served as the ground.

The cable you have there is type SE-U cable, and it was fine and legal for this application. That cable is the only cable where the neutral was bare.

You are fine using this circuit. Just get a dryer cord to match the receptacle.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Misuse of ground wire as neutral return wire in old house [ 5 Answers ]

Here a problem where the "obvious" solution scares me, need some advice on how to best proceed. My home (built 1920 with knob and tube type wiring) has been upgraded over the years by prior owners, but in many place still has active current in the old wires, in other places it is spliced into a...

Change 250V Outlet to 240V [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I recently purchased a house built in 1948. When I attempted to install my dryer, I realized the outlet was 3 prong 250v. Also, the fuse block that the previous owner had designated "dryer" contains 2 non-60 bussman cartridge fuses. So, I have two qustions: 1) Can I simply install a...

Using the ground or (bare) wire for the neutral wire [ 2 Answers ]

I have a problem with some wiring that I ran for an outside motion light. Although the hot leg and ground wires are fine, the neutral wire is defective ( it may have gotten knicked or something). Of course, now the wiring is covered up behind a wall that I do not want to tear into if it can be...

Can you use Metal Conduit as ground to convert 2 wire to 3 wire? [ 3 Answers ]

I need to convert an old cinder block house from 2 wire outlets to 3 wire by adding a ground to all outlets. Since the entire house is cinder block, all the circuits from the basement breaker box are in flexible metal conduit and metal outlet boxes... Is it possible to use the metal conduit...

Connecting ground to 220v 3-wire outlet [ 8 Answers ]

I am trying to connect my bandsaw to an old-style 3-wire 220v dryer outlet (2 hot wires, 1 neutral). My bandsaw has no neutral wire. Do I connect the ground from the machine to the neutral socket?

View more questions Search