Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hugh Fowler Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Jun 6, 2006, 03:30 PM
    Car stolen from parking lot
    I parked my car in a covered parking garage adjacent to the Seattle Opera House and it was stolen. Do I have a legitimate claim against the lot?
    Stormy69 Posts: 290, Reputation: 98

Jun 6, 2006, 04:00 PM
    Well unless it was a valet parking and they left the keys in it, I doubt it.. If you park your car at Walmart and it gets stolen, you can't sue walmart.. If a friend parks in front of your house and their car gets stolen, can they sue you? No
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 6, 2006, 04:34 PM
    No, parking lots will normally if they give reciepts have a note they are not responsible.

And as a police officer who did 4 to 10 stolen car reports a week from various parking lots, you always leave them there at your risk.

Next of course that is why we carry insurance on our cars in case they get stolen
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2006, 07:48 AM
    Hello Hugh:

Yeah, I saw somebody ripping down Mercer in a stolen car yesterday. Guess that was yours, huh?

I would not be so quick to dismiss the liability of the parking company. It really doesn't matter whether they have signs up or not. If they are negligent, putting up a sign won't change it.

Legitimate?? That's for the court to decide. Sounds legitimate to me. You did business with someone who screwed you.

excon
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Aug 9, 2006, 07:14 AM
    You need to advise your insurance company and let them handle any liability issue with the parking lot.

I agree that any parking ticket has a "waiver of liability" printed in mice-type on it somewhere; however, this battle is for your insurance company to fight with the lot with the aid of any information reflected in the police report.:rolleyes:
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Aug 9, 2006, 02:04 PM
    I agree with Fr Chuck.

Most likely, on the ticket, there is something that waives the car lots liability.

Unless you can prove that they were involved in the stealing of your car, I think you will be out of luck with them.

This is why car insurance is useful.
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Aug 9, 2006, 03:34 PM
    The parking lot's waiver cannot completely exonerate them from responsibility, but unless they assured you of the security of your vehicle at their facility you have no reasonable expectation that it is any safer than any other publicly accessible space.

If you can have to prove that something specific they did put your vehicle at increased risk to theft, you might have a case.

Otherwise your S.O.L.
    steveinpa Posts: 9, Reputation: 3

Oct 14, 2006, 11:06 PM
    The signs posted at parking lots and on parking ticket receipts are rarely enforceable in Court. The owner/operators post and print those "waivers" hoping customers will refrain from bringing legal action. I suggest you report the matter to your insurance company. Hopefully you carried comprehensive coverage. Your carrier will pay you, and then decide if they wish to pursue the parking lot operator (that is called subrogation, when an insurance carrier pursues reimbursement against a third party, after paying a claim). Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Swimming in the Parking Lot [ 2 Answers ]

In Missouri, Apartment complex throughway and parking lot (no carports or garages) is littered with potholes several inches deep, enough to ruin your undercarriage, transmission, and alignment if you hit one. One deep pothole every few feet, littered with several other potholes. It looks...

Stolen Truck [ 7 Answers ]

My Fathers Truck Was Stolen 5 Month Back, Filed A Report Called Back 12 Time More The First Month And No Word, I Had A Phone Call From A Auto Place Stating That They Had The Truck That It Was Towed By The Same Police Department We Made The Report At, They Said That The Truck Was Never Reported...

Parking [ 5 Answers ]

Problem with parking space in my city has gotten so bad, that I need some advice on dealing with some stupid mistakes done by people. I live in Zagreb, Croatia's capitol (and biggest) city. Zagreb has just under 1 million citizens. In my neighbourhood, in the last year parking space just...

Parking ticket?  HELP! [ 2 Answers ]

I sold a car on 02-04-2001 and it keeps coming back a costing me money. I was just sent a parking ticket bill that was giving to the car on 04-01-2001, 2 months after I sold it. I sent in a "lelease of liability" to the DMV when I sold it but it wasent recorded. Now I get a bill for $250 for a...

Doxie JRT Cross very nearly stolen [ 1 Answers ]

Our pup, now 9 months old, likes to travel with us in our car. His digestive problems have settled down, making trips easier. Yesterday while he was alone in the car for a short time, a woman broke into our locked car and had removed him. Fortunately, she was discovered and her attempt to take him...

View more questions Search