Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    johnc49122 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2008, 07:32 AM
    Craftsman tractor slipping
    I have an older Craftsman tractor 917.25512 14hp 5 speed. When I drive the trator the it goes along OK then it slips and then grabs. This happen most in the 3-5th gears. If I go in 1 or 2nd it does not happen much. I replaced the belt and the idler pulley looks OK. I just had the trans open and all gears have their teeth. It is a Spicer 4150-6. Any suggestion would be appreciated. Thank you - John
    Home repair Posts: 88, Reputation: 9

Oct 26, 2008, 04:32 PM
    I had one of those years ago that would slip sometimes,

Have you tried belt dressing on the belts to give them grip? Just spays on

Or there may be some adjustment along the way that will take up slack in the system.

Roger
    john555 Posts: 2, Reputation: 0

Oct 26, 2008, 04:57 PM
    If your on a hill it will usually slip and it can also slip if the teeth are dull
    johnc49122 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2008, 04:00 AM
    Thank you both. The tractor seem to slip on flat ground more than hills.The new belt is made of something other than rubber so I don't know if the belt dressing will work.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Craftsman Lawn Tractor - Unable to Start Tractor [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I currently having difficulty starting my Sears Craftsman Lawn Tractor, (Model# 917.259830). I was using the tractor and had to shut it off to move a lawn hose. When I tried to start it again it just clicked. Specifically upon turning the keying, it makes a click sound followed by a whin....

Craftsman tractor [ 3 Answers ]

Hi hope you can help I have a 17.5 hp lawn tractor only 5 years old I use it for mowing and in the winter I have a snow plow on it this winter has been a bear I have went through three starters in four weeks runs like a champ then poof there goes the starter again I just get a click when I try to...

LT 1000 Craftsman rear axle slipping out [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Craftsman LT 1000 16.5hp the right rear axle keeps slipping out of the housing and then it will disengage and quit moving. I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction to fixing this or maybe even how to get a service manual I do not know how old it is I got it second...

View more questions Search