Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BROKESTUDENT Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2008, 06:32 AM
    17 year old private student loan
    I signed a STUDENT LOAN NOTE in 1991 when I was 17 with the AMERICAN LEGION SCHOLARSHIP FUND which my parents co-signed. It was to be interest free until graduation, anticipated 1994, then interest will be charged with late payments each month no payment is made. In the note it states that it is my responsibility to notify them when I graduate or leave school. I wound up continuing to grad school where I finally graduated in 2001. During that 10 year period (1991-2001) I consistently received notices from my other student loans but nothing from this one; that is until last week. Last week I received a nasty phone call at my job demanding I pay over 2 1/2 times the original loan. All my undergraduate loans were paid by my parents but they no longer have records of any payments of that period. They may have paid them but do not remember. Does anyone know what recourse we may have? If this loan is still owed, we want to pay but a fair amount. Does any of this fall back on the lender for letting this go for 17 years?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 26, 2008, 11:33 AM

Well after 17 years of interest and late charges 2 or 3 times is a legal amount, and I am sure to the fund seems very fair.

Fair is in the eye of the beholder, If you have enough money in the bank or can borrow the money, you may want to make an offer in settlement.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Another F1 student - Private International Student Loan on 1040-NR-EZ [ 11 Answers ]

I'm in my fourth year of college as an international student. I filed 1040-NR-EZ since my first year since I always had a small income coming from on-campus employment. I financed these past two years of school with Sallie Mae International Student Loans and I was wondering if those will influence...

22 year old student loan [ 8 Answers ]

that i didn't even remember taking out (apparently it was for $400) Got a call a few months ago about a loan (which i paid off in 2004 and assumed this was the one they were speaking of) and was told if i paid it off to disregard the phone call...which i did...I receive ssd because i have lupus. ...

Private Student Loans [ 12 Answers ]

I have about 105,000 in private student loan debt. With my payments starting to be the full amount, I'm not sure what I can do. Does the new bankruptcy laws protect the private student loan debt from being discharged even though they aren't federal loans? Thanks for any help. Any suggestions...

Private student loans [ 1 Answers ]

View more questions Search