Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Scared gota dui Posts: 30, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2008, 06:04 AM
    First, and most definitely last, DUI what can I expect?
    Hello cyberspace :(

I recently got a DUI last week. I was wondering what to expect from it. I blew a .095 which is above the limit even if I was 21, I am 19 by the way, so what can I expect as far as punishment? i.e fines, probation, AA counseling, community service etc. I am very scared as of right now and would appreciate any feedback positive or negative. One last thing, except for two expunged traffic tickets (one for seat belt and the other a fix it ticket for an out of date registration sticker), I do not have a criminal record. Will this help at all? God Bless.

P.S I am a college student who is currently un employed will that have a negative/ positive effect on my case?

P.P.S How hard is it to get a basic minimum wage job after receiving a DUI? Also, I was thinking about signing up for the navy will this DUI affect that too?:
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Oct 26, 2008, 06:23 AM

A DUI is a pretty serious offense.

An underage DUI is even a bigger one.

An underage DUI conviction can result in a possible loss of driving privileges for a minimum of 2 years, possible jail time for a year, and a maximum $2500 fine. The judge may also order you to go to AA meetings, driving school, or do community volunteer work.

I suggest you get yourself a good lawyer.

As far as jobs and possible future grad school applications, this will show up on your criminal background check. From what I understand, first time DUI is not a felony (don't quote me on this), but you should fully disclose this information to your future employers and explain your situation and hope they'll look it over.
    Scared gota dui Posts: 30, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2008, 06:37 AM
    Well from what I friend of mine said, who was also under 21 and blew a .15 or something along those lines, that he had a restricted license for a year, work and school only, and 6 months probation with like monthly piss tests. That's only one story though and I thank you for your response. Also, I didn't really believe in God until I was sitting all alone in the drunk tank lost in my own thoughts of how I really screwed up, about how I had finally hit rock bottom, and how I needed help from someone besides my family and friends to get me through this. Oh and one last thing the CHP officer said that the first one is "only" a misdemeanor. Which I guess is better than a felony, but not that much better.
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Oct 26, 2008, 10:23 AM

Sorry bud. People aren't here constantly like a chatroom. We check it, answer questions that we may be knowledgeable in, then leave.

I'm not really sure what other answer you're looking for. Some sort of validation?

Overall, it really depends on the officer that filed the charge, the judge, and the lawyer you may/may not have. If the judge is a lenient judge, then he/she may let you off with what your friend got. If the judge is a bit harsh, then he/she could sentence more.

A friend of mine (in atl) got an underage DUI at age 18. He blew a .10, but his parents hired a great lawyer and he got off with a 6 month suspended license, 100 hour community work, and $2500 fine, which is pretty good for atl.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 26, 2008, 10:55 AM

I have worked in and around the courts locally here for a while, and in general here you will loose your license ( suspended) and normally 1000 to 2000 fine, probation and community service.
    marissa02 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2008, 05:49 PM

I just got a dui two months ago as well. It happened two months before my 21st birthday. Your punishment will depend on what state you live in. I live in California, and I got $1800 court fines, $600 bill from the CHP, 6 months with no license (I think they were more lenient since I was so close to turning 21 because usually it is one year if you're under 21), 4 months of alcohol classes, and 15 days in the Sheriff Labor Program. I think most people get 6 days, it just depends on your age, if there was a collision involved, and how high you blew. I got extra days because I blew a .187. I have a friend who got a dui 3 yrs. Ago, and he is going into the navy. He got a public defender to help him with his case, and get the DUI expunged off his record. I believe you have to wait a certain amount of time before you can do that though. I hope this helps! Oh yeah, and also I am a college student as well who is on unemployment. This didn't affect my case at all, the judge doesn't even ask. But if you want to get a restricted license, which isn't even up to the court, it's up to the DMV, then you should be working/going to school so you have a valid reason as to why you need to drive.
    marissa02 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2008, 05:50 PM
    Oh yeah, I forgot... I'm also on three years of informal probation too.
    Troubled_Girl Posts: 7, Reputation: 0

Oct 26, 2008, 05:59 PM

Okay so don't want to sound like a you know what but I was recently exposed to something similar. I was hit by a drunk driver
    And to tell you the truth I understand how your scared but I really hope you realize what could have happened your lucky you just got caught. You have killed or seriously hurt someone like me!
    So instead of worrying so much just feel lucky you made it off easy. You'll probably have to do some community service and you might be put on some type of probation but I'm not sure.

It may be hard for you to find a job cause this will come up all the time in interviews and such so just be prepared and as long as you learned your lesson you be fine !
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Oct 27, 2008, 04:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Troubled_Girl View Post
    Okay so dont wanna sound like a you know what but i was recently exposed to something similar. i was hit by a drunk driver and to tell you the truth i understand how your scared but i really hope you realize what could of happened your lucky you just got caught. you have killed or seriously hurt someone like me!
    Hello Troubled:

I don't think you sound like anything other than a person who drives, and wants to arrive alive...

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I think too much, and I expect too much [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Its alwayz been a problem with me that I get too close with some one. And then it's a habbit that I expect many things from others... as in they care for me.. they alwayz think for me. For example I have a GF. I loved her a lot.. and alwayz expect that she also love me in the same way. Which...

What to expect [ 3 Answers ]

What can I expect if I have to go to court for unsecured credit card debt, that I can not pay at this time. I am 38 years old and never even had a ticket so I am very scared about the whole idea. Thank you Nervous:eek:

What to expect? [ 12 Answers ]

Hey guys! My first prenatal appointment is this Friday and I will be 6 weeks and 3 days! Can anyone give me some insight on what to expect, what sort of questions will be asked, what will take place, blah de blah de blah. I was also wondering if they will perform a transvaginal ultrasound? ...

What To Expect? [ 4 Answers ]

Can Your Be At All The Airports If You Been Accused Of Using Some One Else Name To Get A Credit Card, And Also Use The Credit Card?

What should I expect [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Wyoming and just told my husband that I wanted to file for a divorce. We have a 14 month old son and I don't want him to get custody. My husband is an over the road truck driver and wants to buy his own big rig so I know that he is not going to get a place of his own to live in with our...

View more questions Search