Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    debbie amos Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2008, 01:55 AM
    Wine storage
    How long can I store a bottle of 1996 "chateau les ormes de pez" saint-estephe?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Oct 26, 2008, 02:01 AM
    Basically you want some where dark, little temperature fluctuation and vibration free.
    Optimal temperature is 10-12 degrees C.
    There is an indepth article here: Making a Wine Cellar: wine advice from The Winedoctor
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Nov 16, 2008, 05:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlyben View Post
    Basically you want some where dark, little temperature fluctuation and vibration free.
    Optimal temperature is 10-12 degrees C.
    There is an indepth article here: Making a Wine Cellar: wine advice from The Winedoctor
    I grew up with a wonderful wine cellar in our house. Without a doubt, it is the best way to store wines long-term.

Debbie, are you hoping to save this bottle for a particular year?

Wine Spectator calls the 1996 vintage of this Bordeaux blend as "ready to drink." It is described as "Dark-colored, with good berry and mint aromas and hints of fresh tea leaves. Full-bodied and chewy, with serious concentration of ripe tannins and a medium finish."

Winedoctor.com has also called it "ready to drink." Their description is as follows: "This wine has a lovely colour, still with a vibrant raspberry-red rim, despite notes of obvious maturity too. The nose holds much promise, with a very stony, crisp, mineral personality, with notes of crushed raspberries and liquorice. Delightful freshness on the palate, with a crisp, minerally texture, but with a fine balance of terse tannins and fine acidity. This has a really fine presence on the palate, is beautifully fresh, and yet has a touch of warmth. Really very good style here, nicely integrated, and ready to drink. From a 1996 Cru Bourgeois tasting." Rating: 17/20 (April 2007)

I would highly recommend that you speak with the owner or sommelier (wine steward) of a good wine shop in your area. If they cannot give you an offhand answer regarding just how long you can hang onto this bottle, they will be able to look up that information for you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cooking wine vs dry red wine [ 16 Answers ]

Hi all: Thank you for reading/responding to this post. I am making what I hope will be a rich, yummy roasted onion soup... the recipe calls for dry red wine... my wife picked up a red cooking wine... will this work, or be too strong? Or should I just go get that dry red wine..? Any help...

Wine Value [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to find out how much a 1972 magnum of Rothschild Mouton-Cadet Bordeaux is worth? Any ideas?

Red Wine [ 5 Answers ]

After I open a bottle of red wine how should it be stored and for how long will it be good?

Wine [ 3 Answers ]

I don't drink, so all wine tastes the same to me. However, I do cook with it. IF a cake recipe calls for sherry or brandy, which of the following would be the closest to it. Cabernet sauvegon, burgundy, chadonnay, marsala, maderia. I have all these but not sherry or brandy.

Red wine storage [ 14 Answers ]

Red wine. Some people after opening it store it for long periods. I have opened a bottle of wine but there is no way I am going to drink it all at once. Some places say it stays good in the fridge for only 3 or 5 days. Then I here it is better to serve it at room temperature. My questions, how long...

View more questions Search