Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Trandy Posts: 123, Reputation: 9

Oct 25, 2008, 10:42 PM
    Which pic would you use? Engraving projects.
    I am making clocks as Christmas gifts this year.
    So far I've completed one... It is for my father for his birthday.

Dad's eagle

Here are some I'm working on.

Praying hands

Jesus 1

Jesus...??

chief 1

chief 2

What my question to you is... which Chief? One or two? That one is for my grandad.
    He is really into native american artwork.

Also, which Jesus?
    I am thinking of making some of each, but I can't make up my mind as to whether or not the weaping Jesus would be appropriate.

All votes and opinions are appreciated. Also, I've been glued to my computer screen for a while, so if you spot an obvious flaw, please point it out to me. The price of metals are high right now, and I don't want to see a mistake after it is too late.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 26, 2008, 12:20 AM
    Hi, Trandy!

I must say, I'm totally impressed with your artistic ability and what you are able to create! Great job!

My personal preference is the first Jesus because I think that there's a lot more symbolism in it and it is a happier theme.

I like the first chief the best because there's so much detail in it and I think that it would look the best on the face of a clock.

I also admire you for making things to give to others as gifts, it's so much more meaningful and cherished by others when the gift giver has actually made something rather than purchased it.

Oct 26, 2008, 10:21 AM
    Thank you for your opinion Clough.

And of course I appreciate the compliments.

I would like to get these others done, but for the time being, my mills are having to be used to make actual parts... a shame they have to earn their keep ehhhh!

I'll show y'all the rest as I finish them up over on that other thread.
    Uber Member

Oct 27, 2008, 12:25 AM

Okay, that would be great! Really looking forward to seeing them!

Thanks!
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 27, 2008, 07:26 AM

Chief1. The eagle is really nice.

Oct 27, 2008, 04:41 PM
    Thank you.

It is pretty sharp. I was well pleased with the drawing, but I was really surprised with the results as I was machining it out.

I even had to call my wife and made her come up to the shop to look at it... while it was still cutting.

One thing though, I widh I had left the eagles head shiny. Rather than engraving the whole thing out like I did, then adding the detail. There is a lot of detail in that eagles face that sort of hides in the background.

Here it is on the cadcam... zoomed in
    http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/r...os/closeup.jpg

I also wish I had done the same thing with the "badge"

The only parts I should have pocketed were the flames and the outer ring of the clock.

Oh well... Dad gets his the way it is. Still nice, but not hard to make those changes now that I have the drawing finished... I wonder if I'd have any luck on e-bay with something like this. I guess like most artists, I'd never be able to recoup the time I've got vested.

Thank you for your opinions. I was thinking the same things about the other pictures as you all were.

Nov 16, 2008, 02:55 PM
    My next project to be cut out of aluminum.
    The jesus you all helpd me to decide on was to plain for my liking.

I decided to work out another approach!
    new religious clock
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2008, 06:14 PM

Hi, Trandy!

I like the new one of Jesus carrying the cross! One comment that I hope you don't mind me making, is that the spacing between the words seems kind of close.

Is the whole clock face intended to be yellow and black?

Thanks!

Nov 17, 2008, 05:48 AM
    No Clough, it's not yellow and black. That is just the model out of my cadcam software.
    The Black lines are where the engraving tool will actually cut the material, making it sort of frosted or etched looking. I just use yellow and black because the contrast is so great, and I can see every cut.

You are right, though. The lettering appears to run together. I ran another one last night, and didn't "frost" the entire center. I was thinking cutting it would make the picture pop, which it does, but it burys the letters. Look at this one, without cutting the center out... it's a little more like the real one would be, except the grey will be polished aluminum... almost shine like chrome... (my softwae doesn't do shiny)the white will almost be just that, white.

I'll show you what I mean once it's fiished up. The metal has been ordered,and it's just a matter of getting it done while the cat's away then.
    (I my have to sneak in at midnight on a Saturday to pull this off!)

(oh, did I mention this is for my Boss the people at work liked my Dad's so well, I get to do another one on them... life is good :D)
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2008, 05:59 AM

Hi, Trandy!

I did take a look at the new image. I'm looking forward to you posting images of the final results!

Thanks!

Nov 30, 2008, 12:49 PM
    I'll post image links here as well.

You can delete this thread if you'd like clough... kinda dead anyway.

I have posted the same basic stuff on the other thread, and my question has been answered here.

Thanks,

Randy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Looking for projects with toothpicks [ 3 Answers ]

I am looking for creative projects for building with toothpicks. Does anyone know of any good projects that might use some basic math and even algebra? Ideally, it would include building bridges or other structures. Any book recommendations for these types of crafts?

IT Projects [ 1 Answers ]

Hi we are a group of engineers and want to start our own business in IT sector, hence we are searching projects in c ,c++,java, net etc... Can any body help in this to find a source where we can find the project.. Any website from where we can satrt the process Thanks in advance Email...

Engraving Of "urim & Thummim" The Method! [ 7 Answers ]

ENGRAVING OF THE STONES OF THE "URIM & THUMMIM!" WHAT WAS THE METHOD? One of the greatest forms of Bible Study or Christian discussion is not merely questions/answers or debate; rather, a contribution of ideas. I've found this lacking (to my dismay) in the majority of the forums of which...

Chinese engraving [ 5 Answers ]

My son wants the words Grandma and Grandpa engraved in Chinese onto an identity bracelet from them. Could someone translate for me please? Would this need special equipment? Thank you John Chapman

View more questions Search