Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Oct 25, 2008, 10:01 PM
    The two great commandments.
    Today's Gospel (Mt 22:34-40): When the Pharisees heard how Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, they came together. One of them, a teacher of the Law, tried to test him with this question, «Teacher, which is the most important commandment in the Law?». Jesus answered, «‘You shall love the Lord, your God, with all your heart, with all your soul and with all your mind’. This is the first and the most important of the commandments. But after this there is another one very similar to it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself’. The whole Law and the Prophets are founded on these two commandments».
    Jesus said that they are similar.
    On your opinion how are they similar?
    :)Peace and kindness,:)
    Fred (arcura)
    Trandy Posts: 123, Reputation: 9

Oct 25, 2008, 10:53 PM
    In my opinion:

Both Laws are founded on the same base... Love
    Love is unconditional, and I personally blieve there is only one form of Love.
    The form described in the first commandment.

LOVE

If you obey only those two, it makes it impossible for you to break the rest.
    Ultra Member

Oct 25, 2008, 11:07 PM
    Trandy,
    Thanks for your opinion on that.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred (arcura)
    MoonlitWaves Posts: 171, Reputation: 52

Oct 26, 2008, 07:09 AM

Absolutely Trandy. That is what I was going to say as well... If you love God with all your heart and soul and love everyone else as you love yourself, you will adhere to the commandments as well.
    Ultra Member

Oct 26, 2008, 03:27 PM
    MoonlitWaves,
    Thanks for that answer,
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    revdrgade Posts: 162, Reputation: 37

Oct 26, 2008, 03:50 PM
    They have a similar character in that they both fulfill the whole intent of the Law according to God's will.

Loving God "above all"(even self) fulfills the so-called "first table" of the Law - the first three commandments.

Loving your neighbor "as much as you love yourself" fulfills the "second table" - the rest of the commandments.

Together they are the bounds that God wants the whole world to live within. But they mean little to those who are not seeking God's will because the second one can't be kept without the submissive relationship with God.
    Ultra Member

Oct 26, 2008, 07:47 PM
    revdrgade,
    Thanks.
    I agree.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred

Oct 26, 2008, 08:38 PM
    I'm sorry reverend,

How do you view the fourth commandment to be under the second table?

4 “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.
    Ultra Member

Oct 26, 2008, 09:05 PM
    Trandy,
    I personally view it as said with one exception that The Church and Jesus changed.
    That is that the Sabbath is now on Sunday because the savior rose from the dead on Sunday.
    Peace and kindness.
    Fred

Oct 26, 2008, 09:26 PM
    I am not trying to debate that here arcura, I was just askng why he linked that one, the day set aside by the lord for the expansion of His and our relationship between one another in with the table about man's relationship with man. I just think it belongs in the other "table"... That's all.

Peace and kindness to you!

T. Randy
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 26, 2008, 09:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Trandy View Post
    I'm sorry reverend,

4 “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is the Sabbath of the Lord your God. In it you shall do no work: you, nor your son, nor your daughter, nor your male servant, nor your female servant, nor your cattle, nor your stranger who is within your gates. For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and hallowed it.
    Some church bodies have different numbering of the commandments. To DrGade and me (Lutherans), the fourth commandment is "Honor thy father and thy mother"--under the second table of the Law. The third commandment is "Remember the Sabbath day...."--under the first table of the Law.

Here is the Lutheran version of how the commandments are numbered:

http://www.lcms.org/pages/internal.asp?NavID=2143

Oct 26, 2008, 09:58 PM
    Oh... thanks for that clarification.

That's very interesting!
    Ultra Member

Oct 26, 2008, 10:03 PM
    Trandy,
    Thanks for your explanation.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred

Oct 26, 2008, 10:04 PM
    You skip the second?

2 “You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me, but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My Commandments

Why?
    Ultra Member

Oct 26, 2008, 10:14 PM
    Trandy,
    Because that speak of images some people may worship.
    Note that in the Bible God commands that certain images and icon be made.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 26, 2008, 10:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Trandy View Post
    You skip the second?

2 “You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me, but showing mercy to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My Commandments

Why?
    No, it is not skipped. Why do you think that?
    Ultra Member

Oct 26, 2008, 11:22 PM
    Wondergirl
    No, I can't vote for Obama.
    I'm a Christian.
    I must vote against him.
    Obama is a supported of killing developing persons in the womb and a supporter of same sex marriage which is against the marriage of a woman and man as God instituted.
    Otherwise several of the things he does stand for I agree with, but I can not vote for someone who is against what God wants and does.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 26, 2008, 11:42 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by arcura View Post
    Wondergirl
    No, I can't vote for Obama.
    I'm a Christian.
    I must vote against him.
    Obama is a supported of killing developing persons in the womb and a supporter of same sex marriage which is against the marriage of a woman and man as God instituted.
    Otherwise several of the things he does stand for I agree with, but I can not vote for someone who is against what God wants and does.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    Then please don't vote for McCain either, if those are your reasons--"someone who is against what God wants and does." McCain flagrantly and willfully broke and continues to break commandments. If God and you can forgive him, you can forgive Obama. God does.

I, like Obama, agree that, if the life of the mother is at risk, the near-term baby should be sacrificed. I, like Obama, believe that giving civil benefits to same-sex partners is not marriage and does not go against what God wants--loving our neighbor as ourself (Jesus' second great commandment).

Although Barack Obama has said that he supports civil unions, he is against gay marriage. In an interview with the Chicago Tribune, Obama said, "I'm a Christian. And so, although I try not to have my religious beliefs dominate or determine my political views on this issue, I do believe that tradition, and my religious beliefs say that marriage is something sanctified between a man and a woman."
    revdrgade Posts: 162, Reputation: 37

Oct 27, 2008, 08:08 AM
    [QUOTE=Trandy;1342164]I'm sorry reverend,

There are different orders given listing the Law of Moses. I was raised with the Fourth Commandment being "Honor your father and Mother..."
    That's why I included it into the people to people table and not the people to God table.
    Ultra Member

Oct 27, 2008, 06:36 PM
    Wondergirl, It is not a matter of my forgiving.
    In Obama's case it is what he intends to do if elected.
    He has said that he intends to make abortions easier to get and to abolish the late term abortions ban.
    He supports same sex marriage ignoring God's instituted marriage between and man and woman and want s to make same sex marriage the law of the land even though several states have outlawed it.
    That is why as a Christian I can not vote for him.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What are the real 10 commandments? [ 18 Answers ]

ZachZ asked that I post this question here. The question was originally posed to the Christian site and, so far, has received no resolution. Any help would be appreciated. /////////////////////////////////////////////////// Exodus 20:2-17 lists the commandments that are accepted today,...

Great R&B Song, Great Lyrics - Who's the Artist and what's the Title? Thanks [ 1 Answers ]

Singers: Male and Female duet. Female:- The sunlight smiles faithful every day for you. No one comes close to the joy you bring to me; whisper's like the summer's breeze. To put my mind at ease. When I look into your eye's I invision you and me on LOVE'S JOURNEY. So I wrote this melody because...

What are the real 10 Commandments? [ 18 Answers ]

I'm looking for some help here. I've been reading my King James version and I'm confused. Exodus 20:2-17 lists the commandments that are accepted today, but Moses is repeating to the people what god told him. They are not written down. Some time later, Moses goes back to God and gets the...

The Ten Commandments - Need To Know Information [ 2 Answers ]

"Backwoods" Type of Ten Commandments Some people in the "backwoods" of America have trouble with all those "shalls" and "shall nots" in the Ten Commandments. Folks just aren't used to talking in those terms. So, some folks in middle Tennessee got together and translated the "King James" into...

View more questions Search