Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Spinnach Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2008, 04:44 PM
    Hampton Bay ceiling fan- replacing 2 wire light switch
    I have a Hampton Bay ceiling fan and the light is not working ( there are 3 globes ) . I bought a "2 wire light switch" from Lowe's and was told the piece is interchangeable. I know that Home Depot sells Hampton Bay products, but Lowe's is closer. Everything seems to be hooked up correctly, but the light remains on and when I pull the chain, it does not turn off! Help please :)
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 25, 2008, 05:29 PM

Are you sure you spiced the two switch wires properly to the old blue wires in the light? Can you test the switch for continuity while it is not connected to the fixture to insure that it will break a circuit?

Oct 25, 2008, 06:06 PM

The light comes on, but does turn off. The wires in the ceiling fan are 1 black and 1 white. There are 3 globes with 1light bulb in each and each globe has 1 white and 1 black wire. The fan works great! I can't get the light to turn off.
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Oct 25, 2008, 09:47 PM

Sounds like you didn't wire the switch correctly. How was the old switch connected?

Disconnect the two wires that went to the old switch and see if the light still comes on.

Ceiling fan pull chain replacement and repair - Ceiling Fans N More

Oct 26, 2008, 06:51 AM
    See that is part of the problem, I did not write down which wires went with which. I have 1 black wire and 1 white wire coming from the ceiling fan. The light kit has 3 black wires and 3 white wires. The new fan light switch has 2 black wires. Do you have directions for the 2 fan light switch? The website that you included in your response only has the 3 fan light switch and 4 fan light switch information. Thank you :)

Oct 27, 2008, 09:16 PM
    Problem has been solved! Instead of a "2 wire switch", Home Depot suggested a "Canopy Light Switch" since my ceiling fan has 3 globe lights!! This "Canopy switch" made by Westinghouse part # 70290 sold at Home Depot worked perfectly!!
    Uber Member

Oct 30, 2008, 08:53 PM

So you actually needed a 3 wire switch, I assume the light had a few different options you could chose?

Oct 30, 2008, 09:05 PM
    No, the "canopy switch" looks exactly like the "2 wire" switch and both of these switches have 2 black wires, no other colors. Quite confusing, but at least my fan works!
    Uber Member

Oct 30, 2008, 09:34 PM

I've never heard of a "canopy switch" I know it by some other name. But normally there's only one type of two wire switch.

Nov 1, 2008, 01:47 PM
    Here is the part that I bought: Westinghouse part # 70290 sold at Home Depot. It is in a blue package and in yellow print it says " Canopy Light Switch". I too was very surprised, as was my father who is great with all types of eletrical and plumbing problems. That is why I passed the info along, because we were so stumped! Thanks for all of your assistance! :)
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2008, 05:34 PM

From googling it, it's the same as a normal switch. I'm at a loss, but you got it fixed, so all is well!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing a ceiling light without ground wire [ 4 Answers ]

I am replacing a ceiling light - what do I do with the ground wire on the new light since the old light did not have a ground wire and there is none in the ceiling?

Replacing the lower light on a Hampton Bay Windward III ceiling fan [ 3 Answers ]

At least that's what I think I have. I have the remote instructions, but seem to have lost the fan instructions. It's the white fan with the Gossamer Wind blades. The lower fluorescent light has become intermittent. Sometimes it will turn on, sometimes it won't. Less frequently, it goes out...

Replacing a ceiling light kit switch [ 6 Answers ]

I have a ceiling fan of undetermined manufacture and the light kit switch failed in the "on" position. The OE switch is a two-wire (both black) switch connected a blue wire hanging from the fan body the other to a white wire hanging from the fan body. The only switch the home center had, is a...

Replacing ceiling fan on/off light switch [ 1 Answers ]

The centre pull chain switch that turns the lights off and on stopped working. Cannot turn the lights on now. Is it possible to buy a new switch. If so how do I install it.

Need help replacing a 5-8 wire ceiling fan switch. [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to replace a 3 speed, 5-8 wire fan switch with a Harbor Breeze switch. The old switch has numbers 1-Blue wire, 2-Red wire, 3-Orange wire, 4-? and C-Black wire. I don't know which wire was in 4 as it fell out. The old switch is single layered with connection holes and the black wire...

View more questions Search