Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    oldbro Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2008, 02:40 PM
    Fencing in septic field
    I'm replacing my current wooden fence that had been apparently installed by the previous owner through the septic filed or a portion fot he field. This is 6' wooden fence with posts set approximately 6' to 7' apart & set concrete... I'm building a new fence on the outside of the current fence & when completed will tare down the old as it is getting ready to fall down from some past wind damage... When in digging the post holes for the new fence (couple inches for the old fence posts) I have discoved that when digging the new post holes it appears I'm getting into the absorption fied of the spetic area (washed stone & fabric lay)... My question is if I continue with digging the hols as such will I damage the field?? I have not damaged any pipe not do I intend to as I am digging the post holes by hand...
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Oct 25, 2008, 05:22 PM

Yes you could damage the field so lets take a break for a moment. Couple of question, can you see the slight depression often formed by the trench and are you parallel or perpendicular to he trench. Maybe just stepping your first post 3' in one direction will help all of your holes miss the tile.
    oldbro Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2008, 09:06 AM
    I'm going to attempt to answer your question best I can... 2 of the posts that I need to set are in what appears to be the trenched septic field area (color of grass deep green slightly depressed grade)... There are multiple "old posts" from the "old fence" already set in this area & have been since I bought the property (I have owned the property 6yrs & the septic tank/field where installed in late 1998 prior the house construction)... My assumption (not justifibly) had been that the old fence posts had been installed sometime soon after completion of the house/const & that with no apparent septic problems today that would be OK to install simsilar fence & fence posts in relatively the same areas?? Now having said that as I hand excavate the new post holes for the new fence to replace the old fence line/posts I'm concerned about the fabric bairere & washed stone that I'm discovering about 6" to 8" below grade where I would like to set the new posts which are only about 6" to 8" away from the old posts...
    This fence line runs somewhat at an angle to the field and crosses one corner of the field about 60'/70' from the tank. I'm assumeing that from the tank comes the PVC to the field and than the field turns almost perpendicular to the line that comes from the tank with a 3 run field of about 80'/90' ( determined be the color of the grass)... The fence line crosses a corner of where the feed fron the tank & the field begin... My thoughts where that as long as I do not dig into any PVC and only the field itself that I would be OK namely because where the old fence had already been installed... Not certain if my thinking is good as I start to see the washed stone & fabric??
    Home repair Posts: 88, Reputation: 9

Oct 26, 2008, 03:09 PM
    I would not worry about it, if you see pvc just move one way a foot.
    Don't think you can hurt anything,

Roger
    tim007 Posts: 12, Reputation: 2

Jan 7, 2009, 09:15 AM
    It shouldn't be a problem the liquids will still leach through the rest of the stone and can actually renter the holes in the bottom of the pipe. The pipe carrys the liqufied sewage the holes in the bottom disperse the liquids so the stone can clarify it and the barrier keeps the upper dirt from washing into the stone. Hope this helps,
    tim007 Posts: 12, Reputation: 2

Jan 7, 2009, 09:17 AM
    [QUOTE=tim007;1469916]It shouldn't be a problem the liquids will still leach through the rest of the stone and can actually renter the holes in the bottom of the pipe. The pipe carrys the liqufied sewage the holes in the bottom disperse the liquids so the stone can clarify it and the barrier keeps the upper dirt from washing into the stone. Hope this helps,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Septic Leach Bed Leaks Back into Septic Tank [ 15 Answers ]

Every time we get a heavy rain I get water coming from the leach bed back into the septic tank. Is there a check valve that can be installed to prevent this from happening or any other suggestions? I have been told that a curtain drain would help, but that is costly.

Septic drain field failed and not fixed [ 1 Answers ]

I have a long standing septic problem that the owner has not repaired. It has been over a year and now I have stuff fron the toilet coming out of the pipe next to the house.

Fencing positions [ 0 Answers ]

Crossword question: fourth fencing position - five letters beginning with 'c'?

Invisible Fencing [ 11 Answers ]

Hi all, Just wondering what your opinions were on invisible fencing. I have been to their website, done some research on the topic and have scheduled an appointment for them to come and look at our property. But, what is your opinion on the fencing, does it work for little dogs as well as it...

Fencing with quadratics [ 2 Answers ]

Ms. Brown has 200m of fencing with which she plans to build a fence( no duh) She intends to construct a rectangular enclosure along a river where no fence is needed. She plans to divide the pen into two smaller pens. I have the 3 vertical fences labeled as y(there all the same length) and the...

View more questions Search