Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    atapatap Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2008, 01:37 PM
    If a subpoena orders a copy of a patient's "records" does a health provider have to provide ALL records including all charts from every department?

A patient is unable to respond and the hospital does not know his/her identity. Can the patient's picture be disseminated to the police and press to help with the identification process?

Can the police demand to know if a wanted criminal (warrant out for arrest) is being treated in a health care facility?

Can a health care provider (nurse, physician) contact the police if a patient confesses to a crime to him or her? How about if the health care provider merely overhears the confession being made to another person within the health care facility?

A patient provides his/her medical records to a non-health care provider who is not covered by HIPAA. Are those records still covered by HIPAA rules in any way; that is, can the person who has the patient medical records share them with anyone?

A patient of a facility being treated for an ailment tells his nurse that he stole some drugs from the unit he works on. Can the nurse tell HR or security?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 25, 2008, 01:45 PM

Yes, since they have a warrant, And they may enter that facility also, up to secure rooms that they may guard.

They are required to provide all of the records asked for in the subpoena, Normally all charts and records are on the mater record anyway

Depends on the reason, if because of criminal activity, yes

Yes of course they can, in many cases they are required to. Yes they can.
    atapatap Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2008, 01:53 PM
    Police warrant
    Local police present a warrant of arrest. What information can and cannot be provided to the police?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 25, 2008, 08:54 PM

If the person is there, iif it is safe to take him out of hospital, and if they are arresting him, what is wrong in case they need to continue treatment after arrested.

Requests for information from jail and prison is one of the exemptions in HIPPA
    hipaadiva Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2008, 03:32 PM
    The provider must supply all records that are requested on the subpoena. "All" records are not always requested, normally just those deemed relevant to the case at hand.

Pictures can be disseminated for ID purposes under the circumstances you state. Once the facility has been able to ID the patient, the disclosure of the pics should be logged (typical HIPAA disclosure accounting process).

Yes, a facility can confirm a patient's presence to law enforcement. This is covered under the "Uses and Disclosures Required by Law" section of the HIPAA Privacy Rules; the facility can disclose the patient's presence without authorization from the patient, but must log the disclosure (again, typical HIAA disclosure accounting process).

Yes, a provider may disclose, without the patient's authorization, information about a crime associated with the patient, to law enforcement. Again, covered under the "Uses and Disclosures Required by Law" section of the Privacy Rules. Disclosure accounting by the provider/facility applies.

Once the patient voluntarily hands over their records to any person or organization that is *not* covered by HIPAA, then those records are no longer protected by HIPAA. Whoever the records are given to may have their own privacy rules to abide by, but HIPAA does not apply.

In most, if not all, states, as well as at the federal level, the nurse has an absolute obligation to inform law enforcement. This specific crime is called "Crimes on Premises" under the "Uses and Disclosures Required by Law" section of the HIPAA Privacy Rules. The patient's authorization for disclosure is not required; the facility/provider must utilize the disclosure accounting process, though.

Hope this helps.

Lane Hatcher
    ADVERTISING REMOVED

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I got a subpoena , do I have to go [ 13 Answers ]

Today I got a subpoena to court. It involves my neighbors who recently divorced. The husband wants his tools or something. do i really have to go? I mean my testimony won't make or break the case. I think its bull that the people in our neighborhood have to lose a days pay For other...

Subpoena for someone else [ 2 Answers ]

Someone just handed me a subpoena for someone else who lives with me (my fiance). Can they do that? They told me to call him and tell him he has court on Monday when I told them he would not be back until Tuesday!! Do I have to track him down?? :eek:

Pro per subpoena [ 1 Answers ]

Can a pro per litigant in a family law case subpoena records for child support income purposes?

Subpoena in pro per? [ 8 Answers ]

Can a civil defendant acting In Pro Per issue a subpoena to produce documents? Rich

Rules of subpoena for records [ 2 Answers ]

What are the rules for subpoena of personal records, my wife has been divorced for 5 years and all of a sudden her ex husbands attorney has frozen her 401 k by subpoena under the guise of preparing a QDRO that was never ordered by the court. The original QDRO was filed and accepted by the court in...

View more questions Search