Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gunnerCW4 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2008, 11:58 AM
    Replacing Delta Shower Cartridge
    [B]Good AFternoon, I am replacing a 13 year old Delta shower cartridge and I am at the point of removing the cupling holding the old cartridge on. The directions state to "unscrew" the cupling and remove it and then pry out the old cartridge. I have tried to uunscrew the brass cupling but when I attempt this, the pipe that the cartridge sits in moves to the left. Its as if its sodierd on. Before I break this pipe, I thought I would seed guidance from a professional. Am I supposed to be using a cartridge puller? Or just use a pipe wrench and turn a little harder? Thank you in advance.B]
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Oct 25, 2008, 12:28 PM

What is model number of your faucet, is it a single handle or 2 with a diverter in the middle, Thanks.

John

Oct 25, 2008, 01:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by afaroo View Post
    What is model number of your faucet, is it a single handle or 2 with a diverter in the middle, Thanks.

John
    Not sure if the model number but it is a single lever. I did get the cartridge out and installed the new one, but when I put the main water supply back on, just the hot water in the lines come out. No cold water and I cannot stop the hot water in the lines from coming out of the shower head unless I turn one of the faucets near by. I have tried adjusting the stop point, but that didn't seem to do anything. Could this be installed upside down, would that make a differnece? Also, before installing the new cartridge, it became separated, so I rotated it and snapped it back in to place. If that was not totally seated, could that be the problem?
    Thanks again for your help.
    Rich
    Ultra Member

Oct 25, 2008, 01:50 PM

Hi gunner,

I believe your cartridge is 1222, remove it flush the faucet by turning on the water for a few seconds and turn it off, use some pluber grease install it back, open the link below and it will tell you hot to install, good luck.

John

Installation Help / Animated Tutorial - Installing the Moen 1224 Cartridge
    Ultra Member

Oct 25, 2008, 01:53 PM

http://www.moen.com/shared/pdf/TL319...&id=482c50ee11

Oct 25, 2008, 02:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnerCW4 View Post
    not sure if the model number but it is a single lever. I did get the cartridge out and installed the new one, but when I put the main water supply back on, just the hot water in the lines come out. No cold water and I cannot stop the hot water in the lines from coming out of the shower head unless I turn one of the faucets near by. I have tried adjusting the stop point, but that didn't seem to do anything. could this be installed upside down, would that make a differnece? also, before installing the new cartridge, it became seperated, so I rotated it and snapped it back in to place. if that was not totally seated, could that be the problem?
    thanks again for your help.
    Rich
    Hey John,
    I am not sure if I mentioned but this is a Delta, not a Moen, if that really makes a difference. Although I did get the new delta installed but once installed and turned both the hot and cold water I could not turn the water off even after I adjusted the stop point. So I reinstalled the old valve and it still drips but I am thinking that there is something wrong with the new valve. Your thoughts?
    Thanks
    Rich
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 25, 2008, 03:16 PM
    This is a Delta valve with a cartridge, (see image). At the same time you replaced the cartridge did you also replace the seats and springs?(see image) And before you installed the innards did you turn the water back on for a few seconds to flush out the open valve body and the supplies? If not I suggest you go back and do it. Good luck, Tom

Oct 26, 2008, 05:05 AM

Tom,
    Thanks for the guidance. The diagram you sent was helpful. Although this replacement cartridge (RP19804), which is for 1300 & 1400 Series tub/shower valve, didn't come with springs of seats. And when I pulled the old cartridge out, that also didn't have any exposed springs or seats? Is the new one supposed to have them inside it?
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 26, 2008, 05:24 AM
    Sorry Gunner, I put up a 1700 Series. Here's the correct 1300/1400 Series,(see image) As you can see the seats and springs, (see image)install just ahead of the cap assenbly. They should have been replaced as well. You should also turn the water on for a few seconds while the vale's open tom flush out any crud that may be preventing something from seating. Good luck, Tom

Oct 26, 2008, 05:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speedball1 View Post
    Sorry Gunner, I put up a 1700 Series. Here's the correct 1300/1400 Series,(see image) As you can see the seats and springs, (see image)install just ahead of the cap assenbly. They should have been replaced as well. You should also turn the water on for a few seconds while the vale's open tom flush out any crud that may be preventing something from seating. Good luck, Tom
    Ok, the springs and seats were not in the package of the new cartridge, nor were the in the old cartridge. So I am off to Lowe's or Home Depot to get the springs and seats and maybe I'll have this fixed by game time. Thanks again for your help.
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 26, 2008, 05:57 AM
    Don't forget to flush the valve out once you have it open. Good luck, Tom
    Ultra Member

Oct 26, 2008, 08:51 AM

Sorry gunner,

I was in hurry didn't pay attention if it was Delat or Moen, any how you are in good hands fallow Tom's instructions he is the best, Good Luck.

John
    mytwocents Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2010, 10:28 AM
    Here is a tip, use penetrating oil on the brass ring and give it plenty of time to work, I put it on and let work for a hour, then repeated and then like magic the ring comes right off.
    Ultra Member

Oct 4, 2010, 10:40 AM

Hello Mytwocents,

You responded to a two years old post I believe it is closed already, Thanks.

John
    ssamohtm Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 30, 2011, 09:44 PM
    Lost hot water flow in shower
    Ultra Member

Jan 30, 2011, 11:37 PM

Hello Ssamohtm,

Please start your own thread for more visisbilty that way more people will see it and will respond to your post, also please tell us more about your faucet the brand and the model number, Thanks.

John

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need to replace 'O' rings and Gaskets in Delta Faucet [ 1 Answers ]

My Delta faucet which is probably 30 years old constantly drips. I have replaced the shower head so know it is the faucet. It is a single handle push up for on and twist to the right or left for temperature control. How do I replace the o rings and gaskets? Thank you

Replacing the cartridge [ 3 Answers ]

I have the new cartridge (Delta series 1300-1400) for my shower, I have removed the handle and trim I am trying to replace the old cartridge, if only I could remove it. The instructions say to re-install handle on brass stem and rotate counterclockwise while lifting the cartridge out of the two...

Replacing handels on delta shower valves [ 2 Answers ]

I am remodeling my inlaws' house and their shower faucet is Delta and has 2 handles ( one for hot/one for cold). Can I replace the handles with other brands such as Kohler? I was told that the valves in the wall are not universal.

Trouble replacing a delta tub faucet [ 8 Answers ]

Hi! I am a complete neophyte, and have started a project I can't finish. We have a simple non-compression tub faucet with a push-pull diverter that slowly stopped working. I purchased a replacement delta faucet, model number RP5384. I then removed the existing faucet and am trying to install the...

Replacing a moen cartridge [ 2 Answers ]

How do I remove the old cartridge from the faucet assembly??

View more questions Search