Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SHAVED Posts: 275, Reputation: 41

Jun 6, 2006, 05:14 AM
    Malwares
    Hi Guys,
    I am using avast antivirus which is in its full cover up. I am using AdwareSE once in every two weeks. Recently I have noticed that my system is running very slow. I am using P4 - 40GB Hard disk - 128mb ram with Windows XP Professional. I have 3 partitions and all of them are 80% free. I can say that it was hanging on everything. I doubted virus infection and scanned all the disks but nothing came out. I was planning to format one of my hard disks but I skipped that idea. My automatic updates were on and I got some security updates which I installed. After restarting my computer I got a big dialogue box with more than 20 items as malware which was removed from my system. I would appreciate if anyone can tell how all those malwares got into my system without being caught by the antivirus and why it was not found by AdwareSE. Today I have noticed that my system is still going slow.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jun 6, 2006, 05:21 AM
    Have you made sure all your drivers and patches are up to date ?
    A load more RAM certainly wouldn't go a miss. XP runs best with at least 512Mb ;)
    Worth try are some other anti spyware/virus apps and some system maintenance.
    Most of these steps will work with any Operating System

Here's some simple steps for you to take.
    1/ Remove temp files and other rubbish form your system, either with inbuilt Disc Clean up or CCleaner. (Ccleaner also has a good registry cleaner as well)
    (Disc clean up; open my computer > right click your C: drive > properties > Disc clean up button on general tab. Let it run and select everything)
    2/ Defrag; open my computer > right click your C: drive > properties > Tools tab > Defragament now button.
    3/ Error checking; open my computer > right click your C: drive > properties > Tools tab > Top button > check now. Check BOTH boxes, OK the error message and reboot.
    4/ Page file; Right click 'my computer' > properties > advanced tab > Performance settings button > advanced tab > Virtual memory (near the bottom). To make things easier for you select System managed size > click set > then OK's all the way out again. (I suggest 'system managed' as there is no consensus on min and max sizes to set)
    5/ To make sure everything is running fine also run both anti virus and anti spyware apps (make sure that they are updated first ;)) (AVG is good and free AV)
    (A couple of good removal tools are Spybot and Adaware)
    Spybot has a good feature called Immunize which stops a whole bunch of malware installing itself in the first place.

ALso an on line virus and spyware scanner is Trend Housecall

Jun 6, 2006, 06:50 AM
    Thanks ben,
    Temp files were all removed but I will now use the CCleaner.
    Disk Clean up has been done.
    Error checking done.
    The only thing which I did not do is the Page file which I will do right now.
    I have used Spybot before> I will download it and use it.
    I have done the AdawareSE
    I will try AVG instead of avast.
    Will let you know the result.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jun 6, 2006, 06:59 AM
    Check your running processes and Google any that look suspicious.
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Jun 6, 2006, 08:25 AM
    You didn't mention if you were running a firewall or not. I would recommend downloading one if you aren't. ZoneAlarm for example (link in sig). The firewall that comes with Windows XP isn't all that good.

Also because of Ad-Awares popularity, modern malware is coming up with better ways of hiding from the program. I would recommend running a couple of spyware tools (I use Ad-Aware & Spybot: S&D) and always running the scans in Safe Mode (after updating the defitions in normal XP mode).

Jun 7, 2006, 12:02 AM
    Hi everybody,
    I forgot the issue of firewall. I was using only the windows firewall and now I have installed the SPYGATE. I have not gone through it yet.

In fact I have done all the other things with CCleaner, Spybot and the Antivirus sweep which has cleared a lot of adwares and win32 infections. I have done the Page File settings as suggested by Ben but still my system is scrolling like a snail. What I have recently noticed that one of my drive partition is showing a used space of 2mb even though I have not saved anything it. I tried to locate the contents in that drive but nothing is showing. There are no hidden files or folders then What are the files taking
    2mb disk space. A friend of mine was using the system and he does not remember if had done anything in that partition. I tried to format that partition but in vain. It says that "system partition is not allowed for format". Why can't I do the format in that particular partition? Hi guys your help is highly appreciated.

Hi,
    I have noticed something just now. The physical memory is 128mb but available memory is only 9 to 10mb. I checked similar machines in the office where the physical memory is 256mb and available memory with so many files 76-80mb.
    I am sure this will be the reason for my pc going slow. Any suggestion on this issue.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search