Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    goldenstar1389 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2008, 06:36 PM
    Do I have a lawsuit? Medication
    Hello,

I was prescribed cipro in the emergency room of my local hospital for possible lyme disease. In the emergency room, they gave me a lyme disease blood test. I was told to continue taking the cipro until the results of the test came back. At that time, if they came back negative, I could go off the medicine. If they came back positive, I would have to go on another dose. Thankfully, they came back negative (thankfully because the cipro was giving me all sorts of other issues like major heartburn, nausea, and diarrhea) and I could go off the cipro. I was all right until a week ago or so. I am not an athlete and did not fall or do any damage to my knee. All of a sudden, I began having moderate pain in the back of my knee. I scheduled an appointment to see my doctor, but he couldn't see me for a week or so, so I took that appointment. I couldn't even wait until that apointment time. The next day, I could hardly put any weight on my left leg due to knee pain. I could hardly walk. I went in to see the doctor because we told him that I would need to go to the emergency room if he didn't see me. On examination, he was 99% sure that I had pulled and partially tore the three tendons in back of my knee and pulled the muscles surrounding the tendons due to the tendon damage (Cipro has recently been given a black box warning saying something to the effect of "patients taking cipro are at risk of tendon rupture or tendinitis. An increased risk of tendon rupture or tendinitis is associated with old age, use of corticosteroids, and liver, lung, and heart transplant" ). He ordered an ultrasound to be sure that my symptoms of extreme pain, slight swelling, and weakness were not deep vein thrombosis. My ultrasound came back negative for deep vein thrombosis so the doctor told me to go ahead with the treatment plan of rest, ice, compression, elevation, and immobilization for 4-6 weeks. He said that if I do not stay off it as much as possible, it could cause a complete rupture which would need to be completed with surgery. I am currently walking (or at least attempting to) with a cane. I can put almost no weight on my leg. This morning, I fell on ceramic tile in my bathroom because my knee completely gave out. I had to call my fiancé for help. The real kicker of this entire situation is that I am on daily fludrocortisone, a corticosterioid, which, upon reading, has been clearly indicated as contradictory to cipro. It seems strange to me that both the emergency room and the pharmacy didn't catch this error. Do I have a case here? If so, would it be against Bayer, the hospital, or my pharmacy? Is this case worth pursuing. Thank you for your time.
    mishelly3 Posts: 300, Reputation: 16

Oct 24, 2008, 06:53 PM

I think it worth at least talking to a lawyer there's no hurt in that. You could get lucky and have the manufactures settle with you, you never know... Best of luck to you..
    Kadehadaire Posts: 197, Reputation: 10

Jul 28, 2009, 09:11 PM
    Although the literature did say that it could cause tendon rupture... I think that's all they're required to say.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Medication use [ 5 Answers ]

I took 5000 mgs of a watson 853 or what some people call a Norco 8 days ago. I abused these norcos the entire week with varying amounts each day, 4000 here, 6000 there, all the way up to 11,000mgs on one certain day. I just had a urine screening about 8 days later. How long will these amounts stay...

Qd All medication [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone know anything about the medication QD All?

How to get off medication [ 2 Answers ]

I'm trying to find out how to taper off Wellbutrin medication.

Medication [ 3 Answers ]

Information about QD ALL which was prescribed for allergies.:D

What is the name of this medication? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a small, rectangular shaped pill, light orange, with a v shape at the bottom. I was told it is a muscle relaxant. Thank you for your assistance.

View more questions Search