Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    silent27 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2008, 06:17 PM
    She broke up with me after 6 years
    Hello, well I'll get to the point I have been with her for almost si years and yes I have done some stupid , I have gone drinking with my friends and stuff but have never chested on her,ever. Now we have a three year old daughter together and both of them mean a lot to me. Two weeks ago she broke up with me and said I'm never going to change and that she wants to be friends. A week ago I asked her to forgive me for dissing her and going out with my guys,and I proposed to her,yes, I proposed to her, and she said she would think about it,later that night she said no,because she says I'm not going to change,so here it goes I have stopped smoking for one,just to show her that I really love her and that I will change,but she still doesn't want to take me back,we went to go buy my daughter a halloween costume yesterday together but she treated me like a friend only and didn't want to talk about us, she seems like really determined to leave me but I sometimes feel that she still wants to give me a chance but she doesn't and other times I feel like she just calls me to use me to take care of the baby while she does her thing,like homework,or go out with her girlfriends,and maybe just maybe might be a guy or looking for a guy, I need some advice ,I love her so much that I'm willing to change and I really mean it this time but she doesn't believe me. I'd appreciate some good advice on how to get her back,thanks.
    NItEMArE129 Posts: 222, Reputation: 29

Oct 24, 2008, 06:46 PM

Get her back by proving her wrong. Prove that you can change. Focus on becoming a better person first. She told you exactly why she broke up with you, so fix yourself and it's up to HER, not you, to decide whether to take you back. Remember, no matter how much you change, she might not take you back, but at the very least your daughter can have a father she can depend on.
    aaj2008 Posts: 139, Reputation: 7

Oct 24, 2008, 06:59 PM

I agree with the fact that you need to prove her wrong. Six years is a long time to be together with someone. It does strike me odd that she wants you to suddenly change when you have been this way for however long... Sounds to me like someone is having commitment issues which is not a good sign. A guy on the side is a possibility. I would not accuse her of anything because you don't know. She could just be in a rough spot. Give her some space to cool off. If she wants to make it work she will eventually leave herself completely vulnerable and open up to you and be willing to talk. Trying to get someone to marry you when they are stressed out is a bad idea... settle down for a little. Talk it out... Communication is the key to any relationship no matter how long you have been together.
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Oct 24, 2008, 07:46 PM

If you're going to change to be more of a family man, settle down, marry her and do the whole "picket fence" thing... great. But you're not going to accomplish that in one swoop. Get that out of your head now.

Think of this new life plan as a pet you're not allowed to just grab and pick up all at once because it will just slip out of your fingers if you try.

Instead, you do it one stroke at a time. Slowly, methodically, purposefully, and with no fret-stress-aggression, just pick this life up one thing at a time.

Give her a chance to absorb each of the changes you're implementing... heck... giving YOURSELF a chance to absorb them so they don't overwhelm you and make you feel regretful.

Take it slow. Let it happen, do the work.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Oct 28, 2008, 09:28 AM

As I said in your other post, you can't fix anything without really understanding what the problems are.

Going out with guys isn't a problem in itself. If you consistently abandoned her and was selfish, leaving her to make do, it's a problem. Issues in the bedroom aren't all that uncommon in longer term relationships, especially when the stresses of being a parent weigh heavily over you... but if you dropped the ball, accepted less than she was asking for, it's a problem.

No reconciliation works because two people miss each other. Unless you can identify what the real problems are between you, and understand how to find middle ground (and that doesn't mean you are the only one who has to change)... again... nothing solved means its probably done.

And as for taking care of your child and wondering what she does with her time... how do you get to choose for her? You are a parent with a responsibility to care for and spend time with the baby you said you love. So do it. Fretting about what your ex is doing... well... its not for you to judge.
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Oct 28, 2008, 01:58 PM

Six years a child together and she has decided that you will not change and wants to move on? Yes, I can understand that. Basically what I see is that you wanted the free sex and all that goes along with without any commitment. Guess maybe you need to grow up. You now have a child with her and if you really want to make this work you first need to grow up and realize that you cannot be a free wheeling teenager any longer. Then, dump all of those friends that have drug you to this point in your life. Now, might also be a good time to seek some professional help showing you how to mature into a loving father and maybe husband. If that is the case, then stop smoking, doing drugs, drinking what ever it is and start spending as much time with the child and her mother as possible to show her without sex that you really want to make this work. Remember, friends first. The rest will come freely.
    Rainbow0077 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2008, 04:33 PM

Just show her you're a good father, that might get her attention. It always works. And maybe the drinking was bad so work with that a little. Later you might want to ask her to hang out with your daughter, but only as friends.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Broke up with girlfriend of 3 years, what to do first? [ 9 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I just signed up for this forum today because I thought it would be a good place to get advice, and reflect on the issue I'm currently facing. Recently my girlfriend informed me that she wanted a break from our relationship because she felt that she was too dependent and too consumed...

Broke up 1.5 years ago and still can't get over it! Tips? [ 14 Answers ]

Hi, I'm a 23 y.o. male. I "officially" broke up with my ex-gf 1.5 years ago. Prior to that, we had been together for 4 years all throughout college and I was DEEPLY in love with her. The first two years of our relationship (freshman/soph years) went great. In the last 2, we started having more...

My girlfriend of 5 years broke up with me, or did she? [ 12 Answers ]

Although there's probably a plethora of questions like this one on these forums already and you guys probably can't tell me anything that I can't or haven't already read in the stickies, I just felt like I needed to give my story either way. Me and my girlfriend met around 8 years ago, and we...

My ex boyfriend and I broke up 2 years ago. [ 2 Answers ]

My ex boyfriend and I broke up 2 years ago. We ended without any fights and no problems unsolved. Now he has a girlfriend that lives with him. She doesn't know about me, but every time My ex and I see each other like at parties, he just stares at me straight without his girlfriend noticing. I still...

Ex broke up with me after 4 years hard to get over [ 4 Answers ]

Well I was dating this girl for 4 years and it was very rocky the first 2 years were great we got along. We broke up after a couple times before during the relationship in which she left once and wanted to see other people but found that the guy that she was interested in didn't want a relationship...

View more questions Search