Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cadillac59 Posts: 1,326, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Oct 24, 2008, 03:05 PM
    Should I accept an Invitation for a Date?
    I have a female friend whom I know professionally (we are both lawyers). Recently she invited me to lunch, and I accepted the invitation and we had a nice time. A week later (to return the favor) I invited her to lunch and that was nice too. Shortly after that, she invited me to a friend's house for after-hours drinks and I accepted. After that, she invited me again to that same friend's house for his birthday party and I accepted that invitation as well.

She's a very nice person, is single and a few years younger than I. When we went to lunch last she mentioned certain movies, asked if I had seen them, and talked about restaurants she liked and so on. I enjoy her company and would like to be closer friends but I have no interest in her romantically because I'm gay. The problem is, I get the feeling that she is going to be asking me out on a date sometime soon (something a bit more serious than just the lunch-type dates) and I'm unsure how to respond. So my question is, if she asks me out on a date, should I simply decline without explanation, explain that I'd love to get to know her better but she should know that I'm gay and not available to a woman and accept if she'd just like to be friends, decline with an excuse that hints that I'm gay (like, "thank's but I'm going out with my male friend to dinner that night and a movie') or is there some other approach that might be better?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    asking Posts: 2,673, Reputation: 660
    Ultra Member

Oct 24, 2008, 03:27 PM

Probably would have been good to drop a hint that you were gay a bit earlier, as she may have got the wrong impression. I agree that she sounds interested in you.

I think the direct approach would be best.

"Susan, I've really been enjoying getting to know you. But you do know I'm gay, don't you?" Hopefully, you can both laugh it off. If she looks surprised and upset, tell her you didn't mean to mislead her, and hope she'll want to stay friends, etc.

Give her a little time to absorb it...
    If she doesn't invite you anywhere after that, I'd wait a few weeks and then invite her somewhere to test the waters.

Cheers,
    Asking
    Ultra Member

Oct 24, 2008, 03:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by asking View Post
    Probably would have been good to drop a hint that you were gay a bit earlier, as she may have got the wrong impression. I agree that she sounds interested in you.

I think the direct approach would be best.

"Susan, I've really been enjoying getting to know you. But you do know I'm gay, don't you?" Hopefully, you can both laugh it off. If she looks surprised and upset, tell her you didn't mean to mislead her, and hope she'll want to stay friends, etc.

Give her a little time to absorb it...
    If she doesn't invite you anywhere after that, I'd wait a few weeks and then invite her somewhere to test the waters.

Cheers,
    Asking
    Thanks Asking, that's nice advice. My initial thought was that I would just accept the invitation because, after all, a date is just a date and is noncommital. It doesn't have to mean all that much. You know, I was thinking if the evening was otherwise free, why not? But then I had an afterthought and decided that would be awkward and would probably send the wrong message (like I'm available or something) and I didn't want to do that. I asked a gay friend what he thought and he said, "just say no" or "I'm not interested in dating." Of course, I could say that but I didn't want to be cold. Then I thought the gay hint thing was the way to go (you know, "I've going to a movie with this guy I know".. )
    lmnotok Posts: 217, Reputation: 37

Oct 24, 2008, 08:51 PM

Oh dude, accept the invitation and say "hey, i'll tell you a secret, know what it is??" Then tell her straight forward "i'm gay!!! Shhh dont tell anyone, i really trust you to tell you this."
    spyderglass Posts: 434, Reputation: 34

Oct 24, 2008, 08:54 PM

You could tell her in such a way as to make her feel good- Like, You know if I wasn't gay I would totally fall for you- or something like that.
    Ultra Member

Oct 24, 2008, 09:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by spyderglass View Post
    You could tell her in such a way as to make her feel good- Like, You know if I wasn't gay I would totally fall for you- or something like that.
    That's not bad. I did want to respond in some way that sort of got the message across that I was gay. I don't know but I think I should be able to come up with something better than, "thanks, but no thanks."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

To Accept or Not Accept a Gift [ 10 Answers ]

It's the Christmas season, so yesterday I spent the day making cookies which were then wrapped in a decorative tin that I gave to a male co-worker as a thank you for help done at work and for the occasional ride home from work. I was quite surprised when he handed me a little gift bag in return....

Invitation [ 4 Answers ]

If there is no phone number on the invitation to respond to and the invitation says "The favor of a reply is requested" does that mean you have to hand write a response? Blueeyes

Invitation 4 engagement [ 2 Answers ]

Tell me how 2 invite the guests I must give invitations Matter which I can write in invitations

Dinner invitation? [ 2 Answers ]

I received a dinner invitation on my answering machine from a friend I generally see every few months. It was to be at her home in 21/2 weeks. As I was away when the message was left, I returned her call about 4 days later once I was home. I reached her answering machine, expressed my apologies...

Invitation [ 1 Answers ]

Could you tell me what the proper punctuation should be in the following sentence: "come join us on Wednesday 8th of November 2006 at 5pm.

View more questions Search