Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stu77 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2008, 01:49 PM
    Clear title chasing
    Hi, I have bought a motorcycle from eBay which I am assuming the seller does not have a clear title as he is not responding to questions about the VIN or title. The sellar has stated that he has a bill of sale from the lien holder. I think this probably means he bought the bike from a bank/finance company. Does anyone know how I obtain clear title for the bike. Unfortunately I cannot ship without a title document. Many thanks, Stu
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 24, 2008, 02:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stu77 View Post
    Hi, i have bought a motorcycle from ebay which i am assuming the seller does not have a clear title as he is not responding to questions about the VIN or title. The sellar has stated that he has a bill of sale from the lien holder. I think this probably means he bought the bike from a bank/finance company. Does anyone know how i obtain clear title for the bike. Unfortunately i cannot ship without a title document. Many thanks, Stu
    Mostly its going to depend on the state its coming from. The lien holder often isn't a bank at all but a repair shop that held the item with a mechanics lien on it. It can also be due to storage fees too. A bank / finance company could show clear title because the would hold the reposession papers making the item their belonging.

Lets hope you get some answers.

Oct 24, 2008, 02:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    Mostly its going to depend on the state its coming from. The lien holder often isnt a bank at all but a repair shop that held the item with a mechanics lien on it. It can also be due to storage fees too. A bank / finance company could show clear title because the would hold the reposession papers making the item thier belonging.

Lets hope you get some answers.
    Thanks for your info. I'm in the UK so I'm a bit at the mercy of the mysteriously quiet selller. Bike is in Texas and I have contacted the TxDOT, but unfortunately to get a Title I need a State or US issued id. I will transport bike into storage but I got a funny feeling the bike hasn't got a VIN. I'm gutted because exporting is usually a very straight forward deal (with honest parties). I guess the bike is going to have to go back on eBay and I stomach the transport and storage charges. My only concern is that I can't legally sell the bike because I now won't have title?
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 24, 2008, 03:11 PM

Actually can't you just register it in your home country. And when it arrives it can be verified ? Or does it need title before it enters into customs ? ( I think that's your worry )

Also since you bought it.. and paid for it I assume. Then who is holding the current paperwork on it ?

Also if your worried about it you might be able to ask the local police from where the motorcycle currently is to run the numbers for you. If its stolen or been used in the commission of a crime they will tell you. ( only problem is they might impound it if either of those things are found )
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 24, 2008, 03:16 PM
    Yet another thing if you have the VIN is :

Vehicle History Reports - VIN Number Used Car History Records - DMV.ORG

From Texas DMV website

Buyer: Avoid unwanted surprises about your purchase by having the seller accompany you to the county tax office. Before you submit the title application, a tax office representative can tell you if the title being signed over to you is correct and if it has any legal or salvage issues.

If you buy your vehicle from a dealer, the dealer is required to file the title papers on your behalf, so you will not have to visit the tax office. Make sure the dealer provides you with a receipt showing the vehicle has been titled in your name within 20 working days.

http://www.dmv-department-of-motor-v...r_vehicles.htm

If that person was a dealer then they are required by law to change the title for you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 24, 2008, 05:03 PM

The bike will have a VIN stamped on it of course, so getting theVIN number is just a matter of looking at the bike.

In TX unless he has a clear title, he can not legally sell the bike,
    And no if he paid off the loan, he would have gotten the title, and if he lost the title, he would have to go and get a replacement.

Oct 25, 2008, 01:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    Actually can't you just register it in your home country. And when it arrives it can be verified ? Or does it need title before it enters into customs ? ( I think thats your worry )

Also since you bought it .. and paid for it I assume. Then who is holding the current paperwork on it ?

Also if your worried about it you might be able to ask the local police from where the motorcycle currently is to run the numbers for you. If its stolen or been used in the commission of a crime they will tell you. ( only problem is they might impound it if either of those things are found )
    Thanks for you help Califdadof3. Yes unfortunately the US customs need clear title in order to export. Additionally my shippers in Houston won't touch the bike until ownership is documented or there is a letterof authority from the "lien" holder that they have no interest in the bike. My assumption is that the seller has bought the bike from someone who is owed money on it. The first party probably still has a title. All a bit difficult without the seller communicating. Many thanks, Stu

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bank Owned home with 3 mortgages, is it a clear title? [ 13 Answers ]

Hi, We are interested in a home that is bank owned. The home had a first mortgage and two second mortgages. Our realtor told us that the second mortgage is the one who forclosed on the home. How do we know that the title is clear of other liens? The first mortgage was double the amount of each of...

Need a clear title [ 2 Answers ]

I was issued a 1099c by my mortgage company last year and I filed it with the IRS and did everything I was supposed to. How do I get the mortgage company to give me a release of deed to clear the title? The reason I was issued a 1099c was because the property was distroyed so it is no longer worth...

Why is he chasing me? [ 4 Answers ]

I'm in my mid 20's now and reside in Canada...i lived in England from the age of 2 till 8. During the whole time of my childhood there i kept having this recurring dream about running down this alley that was very familiar, one of which looked like one by where i lived in between houses. It seems...

Can I sell my half of the estate with out a clear title? [ 1 Answers ]

Can I sell my half of the estate with out a clear title?in ms.

View more questions Search