Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nannie617 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2008, 11:32 AM
    My Dog Won't Stop Barking at Me!
    I love my dog & I take him to the dog park to run everyday. My question is two-part. 1) Why doesn't he bother with the other dogs much. If he meets other dogs on the street or in a home, he is social & plays with them. But in the dog park he is just zoned in on the tennis balls or sticks. 2) Why does he continually bark at me to throw the ball for him. Even when I am consistently throwing the ball for him, he'll bark until I do. I know he is excited & that's probably why, but how do I get him to stop?
    Eileen1218 Posts: 145, Reputation: 8

Oct 24, 2008, 11:41 AM

First of all... how old is he? I think it's pretty common for a dog to want youto keep throwing the ball for him. As for making him stop you'll have to start to use a different or stern voice to him... either say: NO or STOP
    Nannie617 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2008, 12:04 PM
    He will be 2 in November. I've tried saying Stop! & No! To no avail!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Oct 24, 2008, 12:12 PM

Saying stop or no to dog only works if you've taught him what those words mean. Remember, he's a dog, not a person.

He barks because he's excited and he wants you to play with him. It's his way of saying "throw the ball, throw the ball". If you want him to stop then you have to teach him that this is not appropriate behaviour.

At the age of two, depending on the breed, he's more than capable of learning the No or Stop command. The key is being consistent.

Next time he barks say no, grab his mouth and close it so that he can't bark. Do not make this at all playful, he has to learn that you are serious. Use the deepest voice you can.

Every time he barks when you don't want him to do the same as above. It may take a while, but he's get it eventually. Soon you'll be able to just say No, or Stop (whichever command you decide on) and he'll stop barking without you having to grab his mouth.

Remember to be firm but gentle, don't hurt him, never hit him, just grab his mouth. You have to show him who's dominant, you, not him.

Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Puppy that won't stop barking [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, We have a 6 month old brussels griffon named Stella. The problem is, she won't Stop barking at family members. If she hears them come down the steps or any Little noise she barks. We have tried putting her in here crate, telling her NO and Cesers technique of shushing her. We are at...

My doxie won't stop barking [ 2 Answers ]

Hello My sweet 10 month old female dachshund has been socialized since she was 8 weeks old to all sorts of people and animals. She is a registered pet therapy dog since I am confined to a wheelchair. I take her shopping and almost everywhere I go and she usually behaves like an angel and...

Dog who won't stop barking [ 2 Answers ]

I have a sheltie who is almost two years old. She was rescued from a pet store that was going out of business. After purchasing her I found out that they had her in a crate with a much older animal who would "bully" her around. Her first few months involved her being extremely skiddish and it...

Dog won't stop barking! [ 1 Answers ]

My dog just won't try barking!! He's an american bulldog and he is pretty lazy.. I tried everything! I tried to see if he needs attention, if he needs to go outside, if he's hungry(or thirsty), and if he wants a spot to sit down... NOTHING worked!! PLEASE HELP ME Thanks...

View more questions Search