Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Eaglegirl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2008, 11:07 AM
    Confused:Hi Mark, hope you can help me here, I am having problems with back to back toilets in a bathroom & ensuite, when one toilet is flush the other toilets waste does not enter the other toilet, but dis-coloured water does if you understand what I mean, could it be that the stench pipe needs a reflector can you guide me?
    Thanks so much

:(Hi I think you have mistaken my question with anothers, this is my question below

Hi, hope you can help me here, I am having problems with a back to back toilets in a bathroom & ensuite, when one toilet is flush the other toilets waste does not enter the other toilet, but dis-coloured water does if you understand what I mean, could it be that the stench pipe needs a reflector can you guide me?
    Thanks so much
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Oct 25, 2008, 04:59 AM
    Eaglegirl...

Clearly your pipe is blocked up in some way...

Are these toilets on the 1st or 2nd floor? Are any other fixtures involved? When you fill the tub and drain it does the toilet bubble?

If so, then the main drain stack from these toilets is clogged and will need to be snaked to clear the blockage.

Answer my questions so we can tell you the best tools to use for this job... you may or may not need to lift the toilet to snake the drain. You may be able to snake from roof vent or you may not even need to snake at all... maybe you can use a CLOSET AUGER tool.

Let us know more here...

MARK
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 25, 2008, 05:01 AM
    By "stench pipe reflector" you mean?
    when one toilet is flush the other toilets waste does not enter the other toilet, but dis-coloured water does
    Your toilets are connected together by a double sanitary tee,(see image) but liquid isn't supposed to jump across the stack into the other bowl. I don't know about a "stench pipe" but the roof vent should be snaked to see ifi back pressure's involved. Put out enough snake not reach the base and 20 feet more. Let us know how it worked out. If that don't get it perhaps the double tee needs to be replaced with a double wye with two street 45's.(see images) to better direct the discharge.
    Let us know. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Back to back toilet when flushed drains the other [ 5 Answers ]

I have two Kolhlar pressure assisted toilets back to back. When the front one flushes it drains the other. I have had the common vent checked by both vision and using a hose to check the vent is clear. I have had this problem for a few years. One plumber recently separated the water flow lines...

Gurgling toilet, back to back bathrooms [ 1 Answers ]

I have two bathrooms back-to-back, one toilet gurgles and is starting to blow back water out of the bowl. In reading several responses to similar questions some answers suggest a partially clogged line and/or vent at various places in the waste line. One vent serves both bathrooms as they are...

Toilet Flushes then doesn't [ 2 Answers ]

My toilet starting flushing slow then not at all then after I plunge it sometimes it flushes and sometimes it doesn't. When it doesn't flush after the plunge I plunge it harder and it flushes as long as there is nothing in the bowl. If I put 2 sheets of tp in the bowl and then flush it acts like...

Toilet back ups [ 5 Answers ]

Within the last three months all the three toilets have become clogged and needed plunged. We have not had a problem with any of these toilets in the four years we have lived here. Nothing has changed. They even plug and need plunged if only water is flushed. Could a clogged vent line be the common...

Toilet back-up [ 4 Answers ]

I recently installed a Kohler K3496 'Comfort Height' toilet that uses 1.6 gal. of water for each flush. The previous toilet worked fine - no clogs or problems just old and ugly. The new toilet clogs very easily - small amounts of paper and liquid waste only - and doesn't unclog without much...

View more questions Search