Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TinaL Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2008, 03:28 AM
    Italian immigration law- can an American become Italian based on bloodline
    Hi

I currently hold an American passport as I was born there in 1964. My father is Italian by birth and my grandparents the same. My mother is British. I left America in 1965 and have lived in the UK with both parents ever since. I have Indefinite leave to Remain. I do not hold British nationality and my dad retained his Italian citizenship.My question is am I eligible to apply for an Italian passport because of my bloodline.
    Any advice would be gratefully received. Many Thanks Tina L.
    templelane Posts: 1,177, Reputation: 227
    Ultra Member

Oct 24, 2008, 03:44 AM

From wikipedia (not the best source I know but you can look at its sources)

U.S. citizens, Argentinians, Canadians, Australians, Brazilians, Venezuelans or others who are descended from an ancestor (parent, grandparent, great-grandparent, etc.) born in Italy may have a claim to Italian citizenship by descent

Italian nationality law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Have a read, it seems quiet clear there are a couple of ways you are entitled.

Here is the italian embassy in london's website
    http://www.conslondra.esteri.it/Consolato_Londra

Oct 24, 2008, 04:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by templelane View Post
    From wikipedia (not the best source I know but you can look at its sources)

Italian nationality law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Have a read, it seems quiet clear there are a couple of ways you are entitled.

Here is the italian embassy in london's website
    Consolato Generale d'Italia in Londra
    Hi Templelane

Thank you very much for your reply. I have been looking at these websites and Im confused as to whether its as straight forward as the site suggests for holders of US nationality. Ive been looking at other sites and one states that prior to 1992 Italian citizens in the US and with US nationality ( which would apply to me ) would not lose their Italian citizenship if they met certain conditions(which I don't ). Have I renounced my rights to Italian citizenship because I have held US citizenship prior to 1992? Ive already tried contacting the Consulate but just keep getting answer machines.

TinaL
    Madrilenyo93 Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Oct 25, 2008, 02:59 PM
    Hi TinaL:

From what you describe, you qualify. You are an American by birth, an Italian by blood. Now it's just a matter of getting the paperwork together according to the Italian consulate of your jurisdiction.

I know this in theory, and experienced it through practice - I got myself, my siblings, my aunt, and my father their Italian citizenship (and passports) through this process. I discovered Italy's citizenship through Jus Sanguinis 5 years ago, did all the research, met the paperwork requirements (2.5 years of waiting), and it's been a reality since last February. Very useful thing, dual citizenship.

You are in a fortunate position, however. Whereas I had to come up with the documents for four generations of ascendents, you only have to do yours and your parents. Very very nice. I had to produce the official Italian birth certificate of my great grandfather, born in a village in the boot of Italy in 1873. Not an easy task!

Go to this website, it is very clear and informative. Italian Citizenship - Italian Dual Citizenship

That should be all. Good luck, and let me know if you have more questions. If you like the answer, rate it, please!

Oct 27, 2008, 04:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Madrilenyo93 View Post
    Hi TinaL:

From what you describe, you qualify. You are an American by birth, an Italian by blood. Now it's just a matter of getting the paperwork together according to the Italian consulate of your jurisdiction.

I know this in theory, and experienced it through practice - I got myself, my siblings, my aunt, and my father their Italian citizenship (and passports) through this process. I discovered Italy's citizenship through Jus Sanguinis 5 years ago, did all the research, met the paperwork requirements (2.5 years of waiting), and it's been a reality since last February. Very useful thing, dual citizenship.

You are in a fortunate position, however. Whereas I had to come up with the documents for four generations of ascendents, you only have to do yours and your parents. Very very nice. I had to produce the official Italian birth certificate of my great grandfather, born in a village in the boot of Italy in 1873. Not an easy task!

Go to this website, it is very clear and informative. Italian Citizenship - Italian Dual Citizenship

That should be all. Good luck, and let me know if you have more questions. If you like the answer, rate it, please!

Hi Madrilenyo93,

Thank you for your time and advice. Im so pleased I don't have to go back to 1873! Wow what a long ( and interesting I presume ) task you had. I will certainly check out the website and go from there. Many thanks. I appreciate your answer and have rated I.
    NYcityboy Posts: 785, Reputation: 65

May 19, 2010, 08:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Attorney_Marco_Mantovani View Post
    Dear Sir,

I am Attorney certified in Italian Immigration & Citizenship law. I speak English and Italian.

I can help you about your case. You can contact me to my e-mail address [email protected].

My website is Avvocato specializzato in diritto dell'immigrazione ©

Sincerely,

Avv. Marco Mantovani
    TOS violation?
    Madrilenyo93 Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Jul 4, 2012, 08:21 AM
    Hey TinaL, how did the process go for you?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

English speaking Italian Immigration Attorney [ 23 Answers ]

Does anyone know of a good Italian Immigration Attorney that they could put me onto. I am at my wits end. I have been trying to obtain an Italian passport or at least a right of abode for many years, I have searched every thing, and have had no luck. So if anyone has a really good attorney...

Italian immigration attorney [ 1 Answers ]

I live in the DC/MD area and I am looking for an attorney that can assist in obtaining italian citizenship does anyone know of one or is anyone familiar with the process. Thanks

Italian words [ 2 Answers ]

Do you know the Italian words for Baby Doll and Angel?

What movie is this? Italian American based [ 2 Answers ]

OK so this is an older movie, but not black and white... I saw it so long ago when I was a kid all I can remember are bits and pieces. There's a huge Itallian Sylvester Stallone - Fonz like guy in it, and at one point him and a buddy of his get into an argument when the big guy is like... taking...

View more questions Search