Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    weshouldbegood Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2006, 04:43 PM
    Data retention on flash cards
    Hi. I'm just wondering if flash media (like Secure Digital cards) are erased or if there is any data corruption when a magnet is placed on the media. Thanks for letting me know!

-WeS
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

Jun 5, 2006, 05:58 PM
    Absolutely not. This is a pure myth. Go get the biggest magnet around and put some junk data on a flash card and see if you can erase anything on it with that magnet. You won't be able to. To understand why that is to take a look at how flash media is constructed and most importantly what it is constructed of and how it actually stores data. You see, Flash Media such as SD is non-magnetic.

So don't worry about magnets and your Flash Media.
    weshouldbegood Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2006, 06:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by cajalat
    Absolutely not. This is a pure myth. Go get the biggest magnet around and put some junk data on a flash card and see if you can erase anything on it with that magnet. You won't be able to. To understand why that is to take a look at how flash media is constructed and most importantly what it is constructed of and how it actually stores data. You see, Flash Media such as SD is non-magnetic.
    Another question of mine is whether secure deletion software is still needed on Flash media when sensitive data is stored on the media. That is to say, when I delete files on a flash card is the whole file gone or just the file pointer.

Thanks!
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

Jun 9, 2006, 04:02 AM
    Deleting files only removes the pointer. You still need to use a technique to securely delete all data on flash. Proof is that there are plenty of commercial applications that allow you to recover deleted files off your flash.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Data entry or data processing from home. [ 1 Answers ]

Hello from Florida, My name is Don and I am looking for a free data entry from home website that I can find. It is not easy to find! Please help!

Help! Need help making movies with flash macromedia flash pro 8 [ 23 Answers ]

Help! I need to animate this movie sort of like a cartoon for example if I wanted a stick man ( example) and I want it to throw a stick then run. This is very hard because I make the man and I have to modify and modify every slide s the man can like move his hand. There must be an easier way. Need...

Water retention relief pills while on the pill [ 2 Answers ]

Hi there, this may be a silly question but is it all right to take herbal water retention pills while I'm on the pill to help get rid of the water retention? I know they are suitable for PMS just before a normal period but I'm just checking they will work just as well since I'm on the pill. Sorry...

Flash Mx [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am using flash mx and I am having difficulty using it. Could you please recommend a tutorial that is easy to follow. Thanks in advance.

View more questions Search