Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bonetti Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2008, 07:15 PM
    Any advise on concrete staining of interior floors?
    We are contemplating replacing the tile and carpet with concrete staining. Will the marks from the tile show when the concrete is stained? Are the floors easy to maintain?
    pattyg2 Posts: 480, Reputation: 27

Oct 25, 2008, 03:14 AM

I have actually painted the concrete floors. The first was a bedroom which I taped off "grout lines" and painted with concrete paint and then used 3 different craft paints and scrunched of plastic bags. I sealed it with 3 coats of water-based poly. The living room was first primed with tinted kilz-it primer(grey)and then I taped off the grout lines and painted with concrete paint. I did a faux finish with glaze and gold craft paint using the plastic bags. I sealed it with oil based poly but wish I would have used water-based since oil-based yellows. The 3rd is the garage floor which I primed and painted with epoxy paint and concrete stain. I am sealing it with water-based poly and then industrial floor sealer. Very easy to maintain... just damp mop!

HGTV : Decorating, Remodeling, Home Improvement & Gardening Ideas, Videos and more : Home & Garden Television
    Home repair Posts: 88, Reputation: 9

Oct 27, 2008, 05:17 PM
    Regarding the staining, I don't think you would get a good result with just stain, the pores of the concrete have been filled with glue from old flooring.
    I think it would come out very spotty.
    There are a lot of products that can make a very durable and goodlooking floor, but most require professional installation.

Good luck Roger
    pattyg2 Posts: 480, Reputation: 27

Oct 28, 2008, 02:32 AM

You can use Krud-Kutter avaiable at Lowe's or Goo-Gone to remove the adhesive. You will need to use an acid stain to stain the floors unless you etch the concrete first.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Concrete staining [ 5 Answers ]

What do you use to tape on the concrete to make designs while staining. I'll be using different colors and I don't want bleeding to occur as it will be permanent.

Staining concrete [ 1 Answers ]

I have to pull up some nasty carpet, I am thinking about cleaning and staining the cement, and not replacing the carpet, any suggestions on how to do this? I know there is glue holding the padding down that will have to be cleaned, I want the cement to have a high gloss shine when its done.

Concrete staining [ 3 Answers ]

Can concrete be acid stained with fiber mesh in the mix.

View more questions Search