Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mitchsc Posts: 802, Reputation: 7

Oct 23, 2008, 12:46 PM
    No Welcome (Logon) Screen
    Yet another weird problem has appeared.

(Compaq desktop Presario 5333CL Windows XP SP3)

I reformatted and have been reloading software all week. I also did a registry clean a few days ago.

I'm not sure exactly when this started, but it is new. This is what is happening:

- When I boot up from power off, my PC goes directly to my desktop. It used to go to my Welcome screen where there was a choice of 2 users (Me, the administrator, and Guest).

- BUT, if I put the PC to sleep (standby), then wake it up, it goes normally to the Welcome screen and I have the choice of either user.

I've tried to research this and can't figure out what to do. The only related thing I can find is info on "Auto Logon". But I have not set my PC to do this (I went in and checked per link below).
    Windows XP: Auto Logon to Windows XP

Any ideas about what has happened, and how to correct this?

Thanks...
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Oct 23, 2008, 12:53 PM

XP Home or Pro?

How is your network configured? Your computer includes a domain, or no?

Oct 23, 2008, 12:59 PM

XP Home

Sorry, but I don't understand "domain".

I have a wireless router so my PC can connect to internet in a room with no cable outlet.

I do not share anything between computers.

The router is strictly for internet access.
    Software Expert

Oct 23, 2008, 02:51 PM

Go to:
    Start > Control Panel > User Accounts > Change the Way Users Log in

Oct 23, 2008, 03:29 PM

Tried that. All is set correctly.

Found this post with a very similar situation. Someone installed a Netgear adaptor, it messed up his MSGINA.dll in the registry which controls the Welcome Window and User Logon.
    PC Hell: How to Fix RtlGina2.dll error with Windows XP Welcome Screen
    (interesting little utility on web page)

I just installed a Linksys PCI wireless card about the time this problem started.

So I downloaded the custom utility that checks to make sure the MSGINA.dll is correctly in the registry, and it is.

So I am stumped.

Any other suggestions? I've loaded and configured a lot in the last week, and really don't want to do a restore that far back.

Thanks.

PS: I know I've had a lot of questions this week, but after the reformat, I've really needed the help. Still learning :-)
    I greatly appreciate it!
    Software Expert

Oct 23, 2008, 04:38 PM

Well, I do tend to use the System Restore option pretty automatically when I experience almost any problem. It's usually FAR less time to do that and quickly reinstall a couple things than it is to fiddle and fiddle and fiddle trying to figure little things out.

But I understand you're hesitancy.

On the other hand, this would make quick work of the problem and identifying the culprit. If you restore back a month, then make one or two changes at a time putting stuff back, you should quickly spot when the Logon screen starts acting up.

Then you'll have priceless info.

Oct 23, 2008, 05:15 PM

True. I wish I would have noticed it immediately. Would have saved a lot of work.

JB, I can't remember. Would System Restore allow me to:

1) Restore one day at a time starting with, say, yesterday.

2) Test the problem

3) Undo the restore after testing

4) Go back another day earlier and repeat the process.

Until I hit the exact date the problem started?

I descibe my restore points with the name of the software/hardware I'm installing, so I would know exactly what it was.

If I could undo each restore, and identify the culprit, maybe I could fix it without redoing everything else.

I hope I made sense there. I know what I mean.

What do you think?
    Software Expert

Oct 23, 2008, 09:18 PM

I've never tried to do a restore forward... what a novel idea? I would just keep going backward since restoring forward would be meaningless since the NEXT step after that would be to restore back further again, thus undoing the restore forward. So...

Nah, just go back one major event at a time until you get some joy.

Oct 24, 2008, 07:22 AM

Well, today I guess I learn all about registry restorations...

Thanks again...
    Software Expert

Oct 24, 2008, 10:41 AM

I'm not talking about registry restorations. I'm talking about System Restore.

START > ACCESSORIES > SYSTEM TOOLS > System Restore

Oct 24, 2008, 11:00 AM

Yes, I meant System Restore Points. Sorry.

It is now a moot point as I screwed up royally this morning.

Before I started doing System Restores, and in an effort to be thorough and careful, I was reviewing each restore point between today and the day I reformatted, and documenting what I loaded and in what order.

Then I went to close System Restore and hit CANCEL to get out of it. Apparently "Cancel" deletes all previous restore points. I should have hit Back, or perhaps the Close X in upper right corner.

I didn't know that was what Cancel did. Maybe they should have termed it Delete.

Now all my restore points are gone and I have no idea if/how to restore them. I tried a registry backup to yesterday, but that had no effect on the restore points.

JB, do you know if there is some way to recover the restore points? If not, I am basically looking are reformatting again and starting from scratch.

I am sick about this :-( Been working on this over a week now (as you know).

Thanks... MSC
    Software Expert

Oct 24, 2008, 02:21 PM

I think you're viewing cause and effect that may not be the case. There is no evidence that the "cancel key deletes anything. I bring up my System Restore all the time to help document steps and then "cancel" to exit out.

The only ways to delete restore points are to fiddle with other settings in the system, and there are several that will do it.

Read here for Microsoft's list:

System Restore "restore points" are missing or deleted

Oct 24, 2008, 04:27 PM

Well that IS interesting. In that case, I have no idea what caused me to lose all my SRPs.

I read the link you sent me, and I didn't do any of the things on the list that would have deleted all the SRPs.

I was just reviewing them, closed system Restore (using cancel), and when I went back to restore to an earlier date, they were all gone??

In the past few hours, I have resigned myself to starting over from scratch.

I'm going to use a brand new HD, and check that everything is working properly after each program/device install.

Will likely take me forever, but if something happens, I'll catch it on the spot.

Thanks JB
    Software Expert

Oct 24, 2008, 07:37 PM

Aw... you know things go faster the third (fourth?) time around. :)
    satswid Posts: 42, Reputation: -2

Oct 28, 2008, 03:08 PM

Start -> Run
    Type regedit and press enter
    Now Go to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Set the value of AutoAdminLogon = 0

Restart PC.

Problem Solved

Oct 28, 2008, 04:15 PM

Satswid,

I tried your regedit, and went as far as Winlogon, but there is no "AutoAdminLogon" on the list.

Any suggestions?

Oct 28, 2008, 04:31 PM

Then, right click and crete a new string value named "AutoAdminLogon" and set its value to 0

Oct 28, 2008, 05:05 PM

Did it.

PC still boots up to desktop and skips the Welcome window with User Acct buttons.

Any idea what is causing this, or what else I can try?

Should I remove the new string in registry?

Oct 28, 2008, 05:17 PM

No, Don't delete the string value, Just Create a password for your acount from control panel and this will definitely work

Oct 28, 2008, 06:12 PM

Interesting exercise.

I added a password, and as you indicated, that solved the problem.

Out of curiosity, I removed the new registry string, but left the password. Still no problem.

I finally removed the password, which I don't wish to use, so am now back where I started.

It sounded as though adding the string you suggested might just give me exactly what I want, normal operation.

This has been a real stumper.

I plan to install a new hard drive in the next few days, and will reload everything from scratch. I'm hopeful the logon problem will just disappear with my old hard drive.

Thanks for all the suggestions and time...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Windows xp logon screen problems [ 3 Answers ]

Hi all, Well, I was using windows xp media centre (sp2) for several days, but it was not original, so I had to activate them. I tried to download a crack from the internet to kill wga and I installed it. I suspected that it was a virus (as it turned out to be) but it was already too late. Now,...

Windows Logon Screen [ 3 Answers ]

I used to have my logon screen so that the turn off computer button wasn't there. But I had to get it all reset and now the turn off computer button is there and I can't remember how I got it to go away before. Anyone know how?

HELP! Want to Logon using Welcome Screen! [ 1 Answers ]

Currently, the way I logon (Windows XP) to my own PC is using the Classic Command Prompt and I have been trying to switch to the Welcome Screen in which a user can simply click on his/her name rather than having to type out a user name and password. In order to attempt to switch to the Welcome...

Ctrl-alt-del secure logon screen [ 1 Answers ]

How to turn this feature on in win xp professional envirnoment? I tried the following procedure but it won't work for win xp. Please help. Control panel - users account - NO ADVANCED TAB to choose... Thank you.

View more questions Search