Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smax Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2008, 10:45 AM
    German Canadian Dual Citizenship
    I am German and have lived in Canada since 1985 as a Landed Immigrant. Back then I was told that Germany does not allow Dual Citizenship. Apparently the rules have changed and I can apply for Canadian Citizenship without losing my German Citizenship. How do I apply?
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Oct 23, 2008, 11:20 AM

Welcome to Citizenship and Immigration Canada
    kreacher Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2011, 09:09 PM
    You can retain German citizenship, but only if you apply to a German consolate for a Beibehaltungsgenehmigung, which is pretty much an application to retain German citizenship. This has to be done BEFORE applying for another citizenship. This application is considered on an individual basis and you must show that you still have substantial ties to Germany, that you're proficient in German, and that dual citizenship would be beneficial/avoid individual detriments. More information on this process can be found on the Toronto German consolate page at http://www.toronto.diplo.de/Vertretung/toronto/en/04/Citizenship/Seite__StA__Deutsche__eng.html

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Canadian Citizenship [ 1 Answers ]

Mom is a Canadian Citizenship - son born in New York - son wants to go to Canada for school, can he become a dual citizenship. Son is over 18 years old:confused:

German citizenship [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I was born in Germany in 1953 but migrated with my parents to Australia in 1954 and except for about a year in 1960 when we returned to Germany, I have lived in Australia all my life. My mother and all her family are German but my father is from the Sudentenland so may be considered...

View more questions Search