Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jetuaime81 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2008, 07:52 AM
    HDTV basically for non HD viewibg
    Hey guys,

Need some advice on buying a new HDTV. Mainly used for Cable TV, VCR video only RF out and, Yellow video and red and white audio out (VHS tapes). I also have a PS3. I am not interested in spending a premium. My living room pretty well lit and I can get a maximum of 15 feet viewing distance. So, Here's what I want,

- LCD or Plasma.

- What size? 32 or 42in.

- 1080p or 768p?

- do I need any additional hardware for better video quality with VCR?

- which brand.

I have never seen any vhs tape video on LCD TV so anybody with experience tell what it would be like compared to 29" CRT TV..

Thanks in advance.

HSP
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 23, 2008, 08:02 AM

While there are advantages to plasma, I would recommend LCD. The main thing I don't like about plasma is that they are likely to have a shorter life span.

You want to go with 1080P. Wheter 32 or 42 is a personal preference more to do with your room then anything else.

As for brand, there are lots of good brands.

Oct 23, 2008, 10:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    While there are advantages to plasma, I would recommend LCD. The main thing I don't like about plasma is that they are likely to have a shorter life span.

You want to go with 1080P. Wheter 32 or 42 is a personal preference more to do with your room then anything else.

As for brand, there are lots of good brands.

Thanks for the reply... I was looking @ Panasonic viera brand in particular... They claim a life of 100000 hrs... which is double other plasma and much more than lcd... how far is this true? And any review for this brand?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 24, 2008, 06:41 AM

I have a Panasonic Projection LCD. The reviews I read on it were very good and supported the long life claims.

Oct 24, 2008, 10:07 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    I have a Panasonic Projection LCD. the reviews I read on it were very good and supported the long life claims.
    Hmmm... ok... so I guess I'l go for panasonic plasma... pv8m model.. I know it's a low end but I'm getting a great bargain... thanx guys
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Oct 24, 2008, 02:00 PM

Don't buy plasma... you said you have a PS3 so you'll be gaming on it, games have a lot of static images (that never move) and a plasma screen will burn easier than an LCD.

Having said that, you can go for 720p. I was told by the guys at best buy and also from a lot of articles online that the difference between 720 and 1080 only becomes noticeable to the human eye on screens larger than 50 inches

I just bought a Toshiba 720P 42 inch for 899.99 (Canadian Dollars) and am supremely happy with it. It does 1080i and is everything we wanted.

Ps. If your not getting HD cable why buy an HDTV at all though?

Oct 24, 2008, 09:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowtax4eva View Post
    DONT buy plasma... you said you have a PS3 so you'll be gaming on it, games have alot of static images (that never move) and a plasma screen will burn easier than an LCD.

Having said that, you can go for 720p. I was told by the guys at best buy and also from a lot of articles online that the difference between 720 and 1080 only becomes noticeable to the human eye on screens larger than 50 inches

I just bought a Toshiba 720P 42 inch for 899.99 (Canadian Dollars) and am supremely happy with it. It does 1080i and is everything we wanted.

ps. if your not getting HD cable why buy an HDTV at all though?
    I play the PS3 for mayb 3 hrs a day max.. Will that cause burn in in the current generation Plasmas?. I think I read burn-in issue has been addressed in plasma but LCD still suffer trailing or ghosting.. only the very high end 2ms response time ones have solved the problem I guess..

The 720 and 1080 info is quite new for me... thnx I guess there's more research to be done..

I kind of prefer LCD but I have seen myself that the low and medium ranges suffer ghosting... which has kind of kept me a away from it...

Thanks for the suggestion
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Oct 25, 2008, 07:52 AM

I don't know if 3 hours a day will make a difference, but I was told by the best buy agent when I was shopping that if the PS3 burns the plasma monitor the warranty is void so I went for an LCD.

As for ghosting I haven't noticed anything but yes, the lowest response time you can afford is best.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cable box to DVR/DVD to HDTV [ 1 Answers ]

I spent 30 years in electronics and find that today's manuals are lacking in detailed information. Or, maybe I'm just dumb. Here's my problem. I have cable box DCT6200/DCT6208 (Time Warner Cable) and a Samsung LN-T4661F HDTV. I am looking at a Pioneer DVR-633H-S DVR/DVD. I want to record HDTV to...

How do you record HDTV using a VCR? [ 1 Answers ]

I just purchased a Sony Bravia HDTV KDL-26M4000. I hooked my Panasonic PV-8451 VCR up successfully to my TV. Tape playback was fine. I did notice that my TV's video from basic cable, became somewhat degraded. Also my analog stations went in and out. When I recorded a program, the video appeared...

HDTV connections [ 3 Answers ]

I'm having trouble connecting my HD Dish Netework to my Sony HDTV and making my surround sound work.

Connecting HDTV [ 1 Answers ]

I have all the cables I could possibly need. I have an Audio receiver only. I have a Motorola HD Cable Box I have a Recordable DVD(Emerson) I have a Toshiba HDTV

What should I do to adopt HDTV? [ 5 Answers ]

I've heard that I will be forced to buy an HD television under federal law? Is that true? What should I do about that? Should I buy some sort of converter? Should I wait until the last minute for prices of stuff to fall? There is a LOT of information about this online, but it's too much,...

View more questions Search