Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zsuzsanna Posts: 9, Reputation: 4

Oct 23, 2008, 01:13 AM
    Where in the Bible?
    Where specifically in the Catholic or KJV Bible does it say you cannot ever eat meat on a Friday and where specifically does it say the word 'Purgatory'? If the word 'Purgatory' is in the Catholic version of the Bible, why is it not in the KJV? Thank you. Zsuzsanna
    sheilamlm Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2008, 10:06 AM

1. Not eating meat on Friday is strictly a Catholic rule.
    2. The reason the KJV Bible doesn't speak of Purgatory is because the Catholics have their own Bible. They do not use the same Bible that Christian use.
    Tj3 Posts: 3,028, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Oct 23, 2008, 11:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by zsuzsanna View Post
    Where specifically in the Catholic or KJV Bible does it say you cannot ever eat meat on a Friday and where specifically does it say the word 'Purgatory'? If the word 'Purgatory' is in the Catholic version of the Bible, why is it not in the KJV? Thank you. Zsuzsanna
    Neither the word "purgatory" nor the doctrine are found in the Bible. Indeed scripture makes it clear that Jesus paid the price in full for our sins.

The requirement not to eat meat on Friday is a Roman Catholic denominational requirement, and is again not found in scripture. Indeed quite the contrary:

Col 2:16-17
    So let no one judge you in food or in drink, or regarding a festival or a new moon or sabbaths, which are a shadow of things to come, but the substance is of Christ.
    NKJV
    wildandblue Posts: 663, Reputation: 57

Oct 23, 2008, 11:31 AM

I think the no meat on Fridays now is only during Lent, as a penance
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 23, 2008, 11:49 AM

First please remember that the KJV is not by far the best translation, merely one of the most common.

There is no difference in the protestant bibles including the KJV except the approved versions of the Catholic Church have all of the books included.

Not eating meat is not part of theology but it is a rule set by the church to show or be a act of penance.

No difference than any act of fasting except the Catholic Church has asked that it be required.
    sndbay Posts: 1,447, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Oct 23, 2008, 12:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    First please remember that the KJV is not by far the best translation, merely one of the most common.
    Some KJV refer to the Strong Concordance in Greek and Hebrew which could indeed permit a better understanding of The Word. Bullinger KJV does a wonderful job. Those that speak Greek and Hebrew find Bullinger good.

Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Not eating meat is not part of theology but it is a rule set by the church to show or be a act of penance.

No difference than any act of fasting except the Catholic Church has asked that it be required.
    Yes a difference of religion and reality. Religion is what is taught by man, reality is THE WORD being flesh in Christ. Christ is a reality, as easy to hear and finds as a door bell.
    Only Christ knocks, you open that door.

So the bible does not say anyone pays penance for sin.. People can not buy salvation! We are told to repent from sin...
    Ultra Member

Oct 23, 2008, 01:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tj3 View Post
    The requirement not to eat meat on Friday is a Roman Catholic denominational requirement, and is again not found in scripture. Indeed quite the contrary:
    Tj3, That is no longer practiced by the church correct?

Oct 23, 2008, 03:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sheilamlm View Post
    1. Not eating meat on Friday is strictly a Catholic rule.
    2. The reason the KJV Bible doesn't speak of Purgatory is because the Catholics have their own Bible. They do not use the same Bible that Christian use.
    I thought that Catholics were Christians. Are you saying that the Catholic Bible is NOT Christian? If so, what is it? I have had the privilege of reading both the Catholic Bible and the KJV Bible. As far as I read, they are the same. Only differences I saw is that the Catholic Bible has the book of Macabee's and the last book of the Bible is sometimes referred to as 'Apocalypse and KJV is called Revelation. Other than that they are pretty much the same word for word.
    Ultra Member

Oct 23, 2008, 04:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sndbay View Post
    Tj3, That is no longer practiced by the church correct?
    It is still widely practice though I do not believe that it is mandated.

Oct 24, 2008, 01:26 PM

a penance, guys. An act to show contrition, that you are sorry for some sin you have committed. Now you protestants talk a lot about grace but not so much about sin. Think about it, don't you feel better if someone apologizes to you? But if he goes and does the same thing over again, you don't feel like he really meant it. If instead he goes out of his way to show he is sorry, you can feel even better than you did before the original transgression. Sort of, God asks us to go a mile and we go two miles without complaining.
    Ultra Member

Oct 24, 2008, 06:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by wildandblue View Post
    a penance, guys. An act to show contrition, that you are sorry for some sin you have committed.
    Repentance is the Biblical approach.

Now you protestants talk a lot about grace but not so much about sin.
    First, I am not a protestant and I talk a lot about sin.

Think about it, don't you feel better if someone apologizes to you?
    It is not an apology that takes away sin but rather it is the blood of Christ shed on the cross.

Oct 24, 2008, 11:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tj3 View Post
    Repentence is the Biblical approach.

First, I am not a protestant and I talk a lot about sin.

It is not an apology that takes away sin but rather it is the blood of Christ shed on the cross.
    Don't know if I'm writing this is the right place, but I think MY question got lost somewhere between TJ3 and Windandblue. What you two are talking about has nothing to do with my original question. Why don't you two get on line together and have your own q&a. From what I have read on this web site, being that I am not a Catholic, eating meat on Fridays was done away with for a short period. I'm reading here that it was reinstated but with modification. I think they are saying you can eat meat on Fridays if you do some kind of a penance for it ahead of time. But in any case, eating meat during Lent is definitely not permitted. I hope that is correct and that is what I understand from what I have read here from the answers I received. Also, thank you whoever answered me about where in the scriptures I could find that. I understand now that is part of the Catholic doctrine just like Purgatory and not in the Catholic or KJV of the Bible. However I'm not sure what the one person meant when they said the Catholics have their own Bible, not like the KJV which she referred to as 'the Christian' one. I'm pretty sure that all Catholics consider themselves 'Christians' so I'm not sure what she meant by that? As I have stated before. I have had the privilege of reading both the Catholic Bible and the KJV and I find them to say the same thing. Only differences being the Catholic version has the Book of Macabees and sometimes the last book in the Bible is called Apocalypse and in KJV it is called 'The Revelation". I want to thank everyone who took the time to respond to my query. It has helped me understand much better. Zsuzsanna
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Oct 24, 2008, 11:36 PM
    sheilamlm,
    The word purgatory is not in the bible, but several verses in the bible indicate that purgatory exists. It is a place where our sinful nature is purged.
    The Catholic Bible is the first bible promulgated. It is the complete bible with all of the books, including the apocrypha books.
    The first issues of the KJV did have those books in that version of the bible, but because the Protestants complained about them for various reasons and did not want them at a time there was a paper shortage so the publisher left them out.
    They are wonderful books that teach more about being a Christian and lover of God.
    The Catholic Church asks that Catholics eat fish on Friday during lent as a penance for sins committed.
    Christians are told in the bible to confess our sins with sincere remorse.
    Catholics do that and by abstaining from meat on Fridays during lent do it as an actual act of remorse.
    It’s like shedding tears as an act of being sorry.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred (arcura)
    Ultra Member

Oct 25, 2008, 06:58 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by arcura View Post
    sheilamlm,
    The word purgatory is not in the bible, but several verses in the bible indicate that purgatory exists. It is a place where our sinful nature is purged.
    Jesus purges our sin - not a place.

Heb 1:3-4
    when He had by Himself purged our sins, sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high, 4 having become so much better than the angels, as He has by inheritance obtained a more excellent name than they.
    NKJV

There is no place in scripture which speaks of a place such as purgatory.

The Catholic Bible is the first bible promulgated. It is the complete bible with all of the books, including the apocrypha books.
    Actually, the Apochrypha was not accepted by any denomination until the Roman catholic denomination accepted it as canonical in the 16th century. Jerome rejected it as canonical when he translated the "Catholic Bible" as you call it, and included them only as reference material. You should also note that the OT are the ancient Hebrew scriptures which never included any of the Apochrypha because they did not consider them to be scripture.

I suspect that the reason that you raise this is because any support for purgatory comes from the Apochryphal books, not the Bible itself.

The first issues of the KJV did have those books in that version of the bible, but because the Protestants complained about them for various reasons and did not want them at a time there was a paper shortage so the publisher left them out.
    They were included solely as reference material not as part of the canon. And some do have value as reference material (i.e. Maccabees)

They are wonderful books that teach more about being a Christian and lover of God.
    In many places directly contradict the Bible and indeed even Maccabees denies being an inspired work.

Oct 25, 2008, 08:37 AM

The Bible in many places in the Old Testament commands the Israelites to eat meat on Fridays, specifically to worship at the temple and partake of the sacrifices there. So the Church in saying abstain from meat is sort of deliberately saying, the old covenant where we slaughtered and ate sacrifices over and over again is done away with, and has this as an outward sign of our faith, like putting ashes on the forehead on Ash Wednesday. And I did not mean to imply that people who eat meat on Friday need to do a penance for it, I'm saying the act of eating fish Is the penance for some other sin like not helping an old lady across the street etc... Anyway TJ3 is following me around!! He started it!! If you tell us to both jump in a lake, there's going to be trouble in some lake somewhere!
    Ultra Member

Oct 25, 2008, 09:39 AM
    The Bible in many places in the Old Testament commands the Israelites to eat meat on Fridays, specifically to worship at the temple and partake of the sacrifices there. So the Church in saying abstain from meat is sort of deliberately saying, the old covenant where we slaughtered and ate sacrifices over and over again is done away with, and has this as an outward sign of our faith, like putting ashes on the forehead on Ash Wednesday. And I did not mean to imply that people who eat meat on Friday need to do a penance for it, I'm saying the act of eating fish Is the penance for some other sin like not helping an old lady across the street etc...Anyway TJ3 is following me around!!! He started it!!! If you tell us to both jump in a lake, there's going to be trouble in some lake somewhere!
    I would really find it interesting to discuss this with you further (especially your claim that the Jews were commanded to eat meat on Friday, and the claim that this is penance or even that penance is Biblical), but I think that the OP has a point that this is going off topic. Feel free to start to a new thread in the discussion area.
    Ultra Member

Oct 25, 2008, 10:05 AM
    a penance, guys. An act to show contrition, that you are sorry for some sin you have committed. Now you protestants talk a lot about grace but not so much about sin. Think about it, don't you feel better if someone apologizes to you? But if he goes and does the same thing over again, you don't feel like he really meant it.
    We should not and are not accountable to others, who of free will choice to do sin. We are told to forgive them within our minds and heart. If we lack that ability to forgive, then it would be our sin that is holding our hearts from forgiving and not his. So Forgive as it is written...
    If instead he goes out of his way to show he is sorry, you can feel even better than you did before the original transgression. Sort of, God asks us to go a mile and we go two miles without complaining.
    I disagree, he should not have to show you more.. you are turning forgiveness into something someone must do more for to obtain, as if he owes you more so that you can forgive.

We are to lift our soul unto the Lord... THE WORD made flesh in Christ , we forgive others without question when asked to forgive, and repent our own sins unto the Lord alone.

Psalms 86:4 Rejoice the soul of thy servant: for unto thee, O Lord, do I lift my soul.

For the Lord is ready to forgive with much mercy for whom? (those that call upon Him)

Psalms 87:5 For thou, Lord, art good, and ready to forgive; and plenteous in mercy unto all them that call upon thee.

So I pray to the Lord in prayer, and ask that He will hear my voice in supplications

Psalms 87:6 Give ear, O LORD, unto my prayer; and attend to the voice of my supplications.

I will call upon the Lord, for His promise is true and does answer me.. (believe in Him)

Psalms 87:7 In the day of my trouble I will call upon thee: for thou wilt answer me.

Notice the lower case "g" in gods... because our Lord knew some would pray to other gods.. Not the God of Heaven but others that are not The Lord. There are none other to pray to according to THE WORD, because none are like our Lord, none that have done all that Christ did for us.

Psalms 87:8 Among the [gods] there is none like unto thee, O Lord; neither [are there any works] like unto thy works.

We being all of nations, that our Lord created will come to Him and worship Him. Giving glory unto Him.

Psalms 87:9 All nations whom thou hast made shall come and worship before thee, O Lord; and shall glorify thy name.

Why? BECAUSE "He" alone is our God...

Psalms 87:10 For thou art great, and doest wondrous things: thou art God alone.

Hear " THE WORD" teaching you to pray that Christ taught you to pray. Walk in truth, and unite your choice, within heart and mind, to the fear of God's wrath when you refuse to listen.

Psalms 87:11 Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name.

Thy Will be done, on earth as in heaven..
    Ultra Member

Oct 25, 2008, 10:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by zsuzsanna View Post
    This was a church teaching that was issued to give sign, and was raise up in man's traditions of the Catholic Church. There are many such occuring traditions that have raised like leaven as Jesus spoke of on several times. Everyone wanting a sign instead of what was already seen. Today the church request these signs for the very same reasons. People want signs or evidence, rather then taking THE WORD as truth and as the flesh of Christ as written.

Each Book refer will tell of this... Why question One loaf of bread, for had they not seen what Christ could do with one loaf? So is it today, why do these things like fish on Friday, pray to saints, and believe in purgatory? Have you not heard that Christ already paid the price for our sins. Have you not heard that if you call on Him, He will answer?

So the sign the church offered is a place called Purgatory, and the sign in proof of forgiveness is in what they request you are shown to eat... One must ask themself, Will Christ perceive this action as little faith in Him? Christ certain felt His disciples should have realized what one loaf of bread would feed thousands. After all they had seen Christ do these things. Why question ?(question in mind shows doubt or unawareness) Why doubt what the Lord can do... (read of this in Mark 8 and Matthew 16).

Mark 8:15 And he charged them, saying, Take heed, beware of the leaven of the Pharisees, and [of] the leaven of Herod.

Matthew 16:1 And the Pharisees came forth, and began to question with him, seeking of him a sign from heaven, tempting him.

Matthew 16:6 Then Jesus said unto them, Take heed and beware of the leaven of the Pharisees and of the Sadducees.

Matthew 16: [Which] when Jesus perceived, he said unto them, O ye of little faith, why reason ye among yourselves, because ye have brought no bread?

Oct 25, 2008, 11:53 AM

Okay you guys, it's time to QUIT at least for MY question. You two have gone on to another subject completely. I think you need to start a new thread as was suggested. I would like to stick to my original questions. From what I understand, eating meat on Fridays and Purgatory are not in either the Catholic Bible or KJV Bible. This is what I surmise from all the answers I've received. Thank you all who answered. This gives me a much clearer view on the matter. Zsuzsanna
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Oct 25, 2008, 03:57 PM
    zsuzsanna,
    I'd like to make it clear for you that the word Purgatory is not mentioned as such in the bible, BUT indications of it's existence are in several passages.
    Understanding Purgatory

The origin of the word "hell" comes from the Indo-European "kel". Kel's meaning of "hidden place" gave us modern day words such as: cell, cellar, conceal, and occult. "Hell" came into English from the German "khel"
    The Swedish gave us the meaning of hell as a place of punishment ("vete") from their word "helvete". So, when the Holy Bible was translated into various languages translators used words they thought were equivalent to Hebrew, Latin, and ancient Greek sources. As a result we have variations in English versions of today.

Early translators used the Hebrew "sheol" (meaning dark hidden place of the dead) to mean "hell". Few modern translators do. That is why "hell" is absent from most modern translations of the Old Covenant. "Sheol" is a place where the Hebrews believe the dead can be prayed for to encourage God to raise them to heaven. There are numerous historical references to such activity. That activity is also found in the complete Bible in
    Maccabees 12:46.

"Hell" is found in the King James Version 54 times, in the New International 14 times, and in the New American Standard 13 times. In the Hebrew Bible we find the word "Sheol" (She oh l) is used to also mean "the grave" and as a place near to "bowr" the pit. The KJV always translates "sheol" as hell, regardless of the fact that the Old Covenant often refers to "sheol" as a place near to or on the way to the pit of hell. We see in Isaiah
    14:15 that sheol is at the side of the pit. Also in Ezekiel 31:16 we see that sheol is on the way to the pit. Jesus used the word "Gehenna", a reference to the valley of the Son of Hinnon (Ge Hinnon). It was the local dump where garbage was burned. In every instance where Jesus spoke of punishing fire ("pur" in Greek) he used the word "Gehenna". Jesus used the Greek word "haides" four times as also a place for punishment. It's been translated into English as "the depths" and as "Hades" and as "hell". But the Greek word for hell is "Tartaroo"! Peter used it in 2 Peter 2:4. The Hebrew "Sheol" and the Greek "Hades" translates in the Latin as "Purgatorio", a place near the fires ("pur") of hell.

In Isaiah 28:10 the prophet is scolding the Priests for their bad teaching of the people causing them punishment after death. He says, "Your covenant with death shall be canceled, and your pact with "Your covenant with death shall be canceled, and your pact with " shall not stand." In other word's the people in " shall not stand." would be saved from the punishment they were experiencing.

To the Hebrews "sheol" is a dark hidden place of gloom and misery which is aptly pointed out by Jonah 2:2, "sheol" How much despair would one have in such a place? The Greek sailor who was swallowed by a whale shark some years ago was insane when found by rescuers after the huge fish had vomited him out.

The old Covenant tells us that a person can be save from sheol. There's references in the New that attest to that in regards to Hades. Acts 2:27 gives us a sample of the two,"in the belly of 'sheol' I cried out and You heard my voice." It is a tie of the two words from the two covenants for it is Peter quoting King David. Peter used the Greek "Because you will not leave my soul in Hades." when quoting David's use of the word "haides".

What mystery lies in the words of 1 Peter 3:18 & 19 where he tells us that Jesus died in body but was "sheol" and in that state "made alive by the spirit" Could Peter be speaking of the souls imprisoned in what today we refer to as purgatory? Keeping in mind that hell is a permanent abode from which no lost soul escapes, theologians have struggled to find a better interpretation but have fallen short.

Here is another to mentally chew on. When Jesus told the thief on the cross next Him, "went and preached to the spirits in prison?" John 20:17, was he speaking of heaven? If so, three days later, near his tomb, why did he tell Mary not to touch him because he had not ascended? If the paradise Jesus spoke of is heaven we have a biblical conflict.

No, there is no conflict, because Jesus was speaking of that which Peter told us. He and the thief, on the day of their death, would visit the "Today you will be with me in paradise,".

So we now see that in scripture it's not just sheol and Hades translate that into the Latin Purgatorio. The paradise Jesus spoke of to the thief is the prison he that day would visit point to Purgatorio as well.

In 1 Corinthians chapter 3, the apostle Paul is discussing the works of the faith. He says that each person's work in building the faith will be tested as if by fire. If the person's work remains, that person will be rewarded. But, "spirits in prison" (Greek word here translated as "If any man's work is burned up, he shall suffer loss;" is "loss" which also means to experience detriment or receive damage). "zemioo" Paul continues, "But,"

In other words if our works of faith are not as good as they should be we can still be saved but we will be scorched (cleansed) in the process. We must keep in mind that Paul was a Hebrew of his time and thus often spoke and wrote with symbolism. The Holy Bible is full of it, particularly in Daniel, Ezekiel, and Revelation.

It is in Revelation that the Apostle John says that Hades will be thrown into the lake of fire. Rev 20:13. It doesn't make sense that Paul is saying that hell will be thrown into hell. We remember that Jesus used the word "he himself will be saved, but only as one escaping through flames." when describing the lake of fire hell.

The Church which Christ built on The Rock, teaches from these and other references that the place of cleansing is called in English, "Gehenna", from the Latin "Purgatory" which translates from the Hebrew "Purgatorio" and the Greek "sheol". People there are not completely dead. It's like a driver (spirit, our driving force) walking away from his broken down or worn out car (our bodies). But, Jesus tells us that there is a great rift which people in "haides" cannot cross to heaven. Luke 16:20-31. So how are they going to get out? Can their way out be bought? No, but the treasures they have laid up in heaven will help. So will how fast and completely they are cleansed. Can prayers of the faithful help? Of course. "haides" Matthew 19:25.
    Luke 12:57 “The servant who knew his master's will, but did not prepare to do what his master wanted, will be punished with sound blows; but the one who did what deserved a punishment without knowing it shall receive fewer blows”.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Where in the Bible? [ 3 Answers ]

I am a Catholic and I am trying to remember but can't as to where in the Bible I could find about the story where Jesus gave three men pieces of silver (?), the pieces of silver represents the gifts that he left us. God said the number of silver is given according to one's ability. God would later...

Before the Bible. [ 29 Answers ]

Here is another thought provoking question about the Bible or lack there-of. I believe the Bible was written 300 years A.D. Let's take all the millions of people that walked the Earth before the Bible with all it's rules were even known to anyone. How did they know what rules to follow? Did they...

What does te Bible say about. [ 7 Answers ]

What does the Bible have to say about Marijuana smoking? I would love to know if it's a sin (I assume it is) and why... if anyone could help I would appreciate it! Thanks .

Bible Help [ 3 Answers ]

I am looking for the translation from the Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic Bible into English. There are so many versions, and I keep getting pointed in different directions. Please Help! I'm Catholic, and I want something the King James Version. Thank you!

Bible Help [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking for the oldest translation from the Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic Bible into English.  There are so many versions, and I keep getting pointed in different directions.  Please Help!  I'm Catholic, and I want something before the King James Version. Thank you! RionerPoet

View more questions Search